Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:02 AM

10,755 posts, read 23,844,646 times

Advertisements

I wish Jon Huntsman got more exposure. He seems the most rational and forward thinking out of all of them. I also like his international diplomacy and his independant style not pandering to extreme party lines. I like that he's not the spin doctor in the empty suit (Mitt Romney) or the ideological corporate bed buddy eluding to Texas can do no wrong (Rick Perry). Huntsman seems most qualified to get things done on both sides of the aisle.

This election has been trending towards the shoe in front runner (Mitt Romney), then flavor of the month (Michelle Bachman, followed by Rick Perry). Scapegoating Obama and bombarding TV networks with negative ads isn't going to get a Repbublican elected (or I least I hope not based on that premise). We need a moderate. Given Obama won the Iowa caucases coming out of left field back in 2008; is it possible that Huntsman could do the same in 2012, perhaps more likely in the New Hampshire primaries?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-08-2011 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:16 AM

45,241 posts, read 26,477,444 times
As a Republican, Huntsman is an outstanding Democrat.

Now Ron Paul is a guy that needs more media exposure (of the unbiased kind).

Old 09-08-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

Go ahead an lable Huntsman a democrat if you will (falling by the exteme wayside as the media loves to exploit), but it's his moderate views that make him more electable to the independent voters and quite frankly has more logic and sanity than the other candidates.

Ron Paul has a lot of brilliant ideas, and some not so brilliant. He should be elected to a higher office and get more of a media voice, yes. However he's not electable, doesn't articulate himself very well, and he's too old for the oval office.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:34 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,772,749 times
The era of the Huntsman Republican is gone for some time. Question is if the Republican's are going to pull another Goldwater.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
The era of the Huntsman Republican is gone for some time. Question is if the Republican's are going to pull another Goldwater.
Ugghh! Why must there be such apathy for political party lines? Oh right, party lines must tow to special interests with the media following suit. I guess independent voters should cash in their chips because a moderate Republican is a ship that has already sailed?

Old 09-08-2011, 06:57 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Ugghh! Why must there be such apathy for political party lines? Oh right, party lines must tow to special interests with the media following suit. I guess independent voters should cash in their chips because a moderate Republican is a ship that has already sailed?

I completely agree! Huntsman would make a great candidate and I'd like to think his campaign would not be filled with mudslinging and idiocy. For once it would be nice to see a Republican candidate with an even toned, intelligent approach to politics, as opposed to the vitriolic b***hin' and moanin' or half-baked conspiracy theories we see today.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,735,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Go ahead an lable Huntsman a democrat if you will (falling by the exteme wayside as the media loves to exploit), but it's his moderate views that make him more electable to the independent voters and quite frankly has more logic and sanity than the other candidates.

Ron Paul has a lot of brilliant ideas, and some not so brilliant. He should be elected to a higher office and get more of a media voice, yes. However he's not electable, doesn't articulate himself very well, and he's too old for the oval office.
If truth be told Huntsman is the preferred pick of the Bush loyalists. He is a conservative who says the "right" thing on climate change, gays and immigration so as not to alarm the politically correct crowd. So if you liked GW you'll like Huntsman. I believe he is more electable than the others, including Romney and, frankly, I don't see a lot of difference between the two except that Romney seems to carry more baggage from being governor of a deep blue state and all the compromises that entailed.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:15 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,390,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post

You can't advance the ball if you elect a moderate.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:22 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,819,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

Now this is funny. Paul has some of the hardest left/liberal stances around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
If truth be told Huntsman is the preferred pick of the Bush loyalists. He is a conservative who says the "right" thing on climate change, gays and immigration so as not to alarm the politically correct crowd. So if you liked GW you'll like Huntsman. I believe he is more electable than the others, including Romney and, frankly, I don't see a lot of difference between the two except that Romney seems to carry more baggage from being governor of a deep blue state and all the compromises that entailed.
I'd say Perry is the Bush candidate. He's your typical Texas big oil/corporate puppet/lover of illegals republican just like W. Though really all of the GOP candidates besides Paul are just empty suits out for wall street and the big corporations.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:48 AM

28,100 posts, read 29,992,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
He is a conservative who says the "right" thing on climate change, gays and immigration so as not to alarm the politically correct crowd.
Or maybe he's just telling the truth. Ever consider that possibility? Maybe he's not just saying what the "politically correct crowd" wants him to say. Maybe he's expressing his own opinions on those subjects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections