Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 12:28 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,553,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
John Huntsman has virtually no chance of winning the Republican nomination, but has broad appeal to those of us who are Independents. He is not anti-science as the other Republican Candidates seem to be and seems to be moderate on most social issues while fiscally conservative.

I think he may have a chance to win as an Independent.

No...all he would do is GUARANTEE an Obama victory, by diluting the conservative vote.

Plus he's just a RINO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 12:29 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,995,478 times
This country is not ready for an independent winning. He has no shot at the republican nomination and NO ONE ever has a shot running as an independent. For smaller elections - local city, state, House/Senate the might have a shot.

But for president? Not a chance.

He could win all the independents but Democrats and republicans wouldn't budge enough for him to win.

Then again who know. He'd take the majority of the republican party who are sick of the FAR right and Tea Party hijacking and a decent chunk of democrats. I think he'd have more of a shot winning more republicans than democrats though. He can't win the republican nomination because no matter how the majority feels the far right and TP overrule the majority and run the show right now. They'd prop Smokey the Bear before Huntsman.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:46 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,957,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
This country is not ready for an independent winning. He has no shot at the republican nomination and NO ONE ever has a shot running as an independent. For smaller elections - local city, state, House/Senate the might have a shot.

But for president? Not a chance.

He could win all the independents but Democrats and republicans wouldn't budge enough for him to win.

Then again who know. He'd take the majority of the republican party who are sick of the FAR right and Tea Party hijacking and a decent chunk of democrats. I think he'd have more of a shot winning more republicans than democrats though. He can't win the republican nomination because no matter how the majority feels the far right and TP overrule the majority and run the show right now. They'd prop Smokey the Bear before Huntsman.
I disagree. There are a lot of Democrats that would vote for him. He has a 69% approval rating among Democrats in his home state. That is a big number.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:58 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,211,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Huntsman is more along the lines of an old school Republican. Fiscally conservative, socially moderate and well he is actually sane unlike much of the rest of the field. I disagree with Huntsman on many issues, and wouldn't vote for him in the General, but he can actually discuss the issues without the asinine hateful and crazy rhetoric (and well ideas as well) the others spout off.
My husband and I are supporting Huntsman in the primary--he IS an old school republican vs. a radical right winger. He also has about the same chance of winning the nomination as Mickey Mouse, so I have absolutely no idea what we're going to do in the general

As far as his running as a third party candidate--I don't think it could work. He might pick up some of the middle, but it's going to be the conservative, small business owner end of the middle vs. the liberal end. I think he'd wind up splitting the R vote vs. the D vote.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:30 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,995,478 times
Quote:
I disagree. There are a lot of Democrats that would vote for him. He has a 69% approval rating among Democrats in his home state. That is a big number.
And how many republicans would vote for him? You can't win off 69% of Democrats and it's not a sure thing he'd get every independent. There's still a good chunk who go "Oh I voted for Michelle Bachmann because he seems like a good Christian"

Old 10-03-2011, 02:24 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
No...all he would do is GUARANTEE an Obama victory, by diluting the conservative vote.

Plus he's just a RINO.
Why would he dilute the conservative vote if no conservatives are voting for him?

Romney would benefit the most by Huntsman exiting but by benefitting we aren't talking all of that many people. It's up to Romney to knock him out. It benefits everyone else if Huntsman stays in (because he keeps Romney's numbers lower). It's really quite simple. All Romney has to do is ask Huntsman why he said Obama is a remarkable leader because he either thinks so or he was sucking up for a job and neither will play well with voters. The other candidates won't do it to increase Romney's poll numbers because that's where Huntsman voters will go.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:57 PM

357 posts, read 784,046 times
For what it's worth, WSJ rates Huntsman's economics/jobs plan as the best plan put forth by any of the GOP in contention Review & Outlook: Huntsman's Good Economic Plan - WSJ.com

For what it's worth, WSJ is not so impressed with Romney's plan WSJ Slams Mitt Romney For Lackluster Jobs Plan

Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:

That tells me he is a Progressive, wearing an R by his name.
Just like Romney.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why would he dilute the conservative vote if no conservatives are voting for him?

Romney would benefit the most by Huntsman exiting but by benefitting we aren't talking all of that many people. It's up to Romney to knock him out. It benefits everyone else if Huntsman stays in (because he keeps Romney's numbers lower). It's really quite simple. All Romney has to do is ask Huntsman why he said Obama is a remarkable leader because he either thinks so or he was sucking up for a job and neither will play well with voters. The other candidates won't do it to increase Romney's poll numbers because that's where Huntsman voters will go.

Huntsman's 2% would go to Romney exclusively?

Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,211,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Huntsman's 2% would go to Romney exclusively?
Honestly? I think you may see that small chunk of moderate R's or moderate independents who support Huntsman now move to Obama vs. Romney, or just stay home. I'm a moderate, "old school" R, and I don't know anyone like me who sees Romney as a good choice--he's a flip flopper and a phoney. If this whole movement on moving corporations out of politics continues to grow (and I think it's just begun) it's going to hurt Romney more than Obama. Obama is taking big money too, but it's going to be easier to paint Romney as a major corporate guy, and part of the problem in too much corporate control of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections