Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:59 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,025,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But you know, depending on the situation shooting ones mouth off isn't always bad. I do hear you, but the perfect example when discussing Christie was yesterday: a very liberal poster actaully said she would or could support him and here I am a conservative saying the same: there is something about him that people, overal (that are fair anyway) just like.

Nita
We simply don't learn. This is how we screwed up the last time. This country elects based on personality cult status. Damned be the experience, intelligence, or morality of a candidate. I'm not sure you can have it all in one candidate, but you can use a proper rubric for making the best selection.
The only thing I hope for is that we "back in" to choosing a good candidate for the Republican ticket. I'd also be in favor of a challenge to the Democrat incumbent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 08:32 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,360,636 times
Quote:
First I don't think Todd Chrisie is running, (in fact right now neither Christie is running) and second what a family member has or hasn't done has little to do with the candidae, shall we strart talking about those in Clintons family or maybe Carters brother? We could go on and on. It didn't hurt Christie before did it?

The thing that is hurting all decent Republicans is the constant left that can't think of anything positive to say about Obama, they are scared he is going to get beat and are relentlessly attacking every single person running or even being considered.

NIta
In a time when many Americans dislike Wall St and your brother is a big dog Wall Streeter, you're basically not electable nationwide. There are a few more secondary and tertiary reasons also.

I'm not a lefty or a righty. It's a rigged game anyhow.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,481,704 times
Quote:
First I don't think Todd Chrisie is running, (in fact right now neither Christie is running) and second what a family member has or hasn't done has little to do with the candidae, shall we strart talking about those in Clintons family or maybe Carters brother? We could go on and on. It didn't hurt Christie before did it?

The thing that is hurting all decent Republicans is the constant left that can't think of anything positive to say about Obama, they are scared he is going to get beat and are relentlessly attacking every single person running or even being considered.

NIta

First off I agree that his brother means nothing.

As far as relentless attacks against those who are running, well much of that has to do with the extremely crazy positions that many of those running had, as well as the crap that has come out of their mouths.

As far as Christie goes, I don't think he has a chance of winning the GOP nomination. The base would go apes*** over some of his positions. He is pro-gun control. He actually believes in Science and things climate change and global warming are man made and a problem. He appointed a Muslim to position of a Judge and ripped his conservative critics over that appointment. The GOP base would go bonkers over that.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,671,694 times
I think that the rush for Christie is a reflection of a larger problem that the GOP has. They essentially don't like any of the candidates they have so they crave the ones thy don't. Once they get a closer look at Christie and his positions they would dump him pretty quick. Anybody heard of Michelle Bachman lately? Didn't she win the Idaho or Iowa caucus recently?

Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I think that the rush for Christie is a reflection of a larger problem that the GOP has. They essentially don't like any of the candidates they have so they crave the ones thy don't. Once they get a closer look at Christie and his positions they would dump him pretty quick. Anybody heard of Michelle Bachman lately? Didn't she win the Idaho or Iowa caucus recently?
I guess we know how much you don't know about politics and how little you follow them. There have been no caucuses held yet and certainly nothing in Idaho. She won the straw poll in Iowa, her home state if that is what you are reffering to and you obvioulsy do not understand how the straw polls work. The only thing I am inclined to agree with you on is the choice of candidates that the beltway insiders would like to see run. This doesn't mean the party will not get behind the candidate.

Nita

Old 10-04-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I guess we know how much you don't know about politics and how little you follow them. There have been no caucuses held yet and certainly nothing in Idaho. She won the straw poll in Iowa, her home state if that is what you are reffering to and you obvioulsy do not understand how the straw polls work. The only thing I am inclined to agree with you on is the choice of candidates that the beltway insiders would like to see run. This doesn't mean the party will not get behind the candidate.

Nita
I'm highly amused at how you took my observations of the republican's search for the ideal candidate and turned it into a personal attack on me, highlighting my perceived ignorance concerning republican sentiment of the moment and the Iowa straw poll in general. Disagree with my positions and viewpoints all you want but keep the personal observations concerning my intelligence or lack thereof to yourself.
Frankly, I find your lock step mentality, grounded in mean spirited good old fascist dogma a little wearing but I have up to this point kept that opinion to myself.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:48 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,090,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Come on New Jerseyites (or whatever you call yourselves, or is that "yous guys"?), tell me what Christie has done for NJ.
Why is he the great fat hope?

Not even going to put any insight into this thread with an immature OP, who like many other liberals seem to boost their ego by attacking someone based on their looks.

Are we talking about politics here or is this the nutrition and modeling forum where looks matter?

Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Why Should I Be Excited By Christie?

If he says "yes" and you wait a few minutes, the arm of the Republican media that represents the establishment Republicans in the NY - DC corridor will tell you why, just like they did with John McCain.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why Should I Be Excited By Christie?

If he says "yes" and you wait a few minutes, the arm of the Republican media that represents the establishment Republicans in the NY - DC corridor will tell you why, just like they did with John McCain.
Good point.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
We simply don't learn. This is how we screwed up the last time. This country elects based on personality cult status. Damned be the experience, intelligence, or morality of a candidate. I'm not sure you can have it all in one candidate, but you can use a proper rubric for making the best selection.
The only thing I hope for is that we "back in" to choosing a good candidate for the Republican ticket. I'd also be in favor of a challenge to the Democrat incumbent.
I agree with you, but personality has always played a part; that is one of the reasons Reagan got elected. Was that a good thing? You damned well better believe it, but it was one reason, the same with Kennedy and Clinton as well as Bush the second.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections