Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:21 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,129,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I can't stand the guy. I think he's a flake who flip flops on many issues. He could jump through the rings of fire and I still wouldn't vote for him.

I'm also a non-denominational Christian, who grew up as attending an independent Baptist church.

But can someone tell me what his religion has to do with his viability as a GOP candidate? The latest statement by a Rick Perry supporter calling for thumbing down Mitt Romney because he's a Mormon reeks of bigotry and hypocrisy since most Baptists groups in the United States, actively promote the separation of the church and state.

Have we really gone backwards as a country?

I appreciate this post, I was just reading the article on this "pastor". Trying to be as objective as I can, I think this guy and the like, are the ones that give the evangelicals such a bad name and reputation with the mainstream. Mormons have as a core belief to obey and sustain the law. I believe 100% that Mitt Romneys beliefs and religious views are in complete harmony and will not be a factor in his ability to govern. Its just a ridiculous scare tactic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 07:32 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,175,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hang out over on the Religion & Philosophy or Christianity forums for a day or so and you'll hear this sentiment expressed constantly. I'm glad you're not like a lot of the people I run into over there, dixiegirl.

I have always avoided that Religion section just for that reason. I will tell you that when I was a young teenager, one of my Bible study teachers started teaching a class on cults...it was when the Reverend Moon and all of that was so big. I guess that was what i though it would be about, but this person tried to teach us that Mormons, Catholics, The Jehovah Witnesses, and the Seven Day Adventists were all actually cults. Many of my father's family were Catholics so I was really shocked with all of this. I went home and told my parents and they were not happy. I don't remember if they said something to our Pastor or what, but I never remember that whole thing ever being brought up again in any class.

That is not to say the some Southern Baptists don't believe this. Obviously the bigoted pastor Jeffress does. He made those same statements against Mitt Romney and the Mormon faith in 2008.
I just never hear it discussed much. However, I am now a Methodist, but a lot of my family and friends are still Southern Baptists. I just find it very intolerant and ignorant.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:53 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,211,935 times
I think the R party is reaping what it's sowed. I'm a moderate, old school republican. I could care less what faith Romney is--I just think he's a phoney (I'm a Huntsman supporter--another Mormon). That said, the far right end of the party spent lots of time stirring up voters over the "Obama is a muslim" and the birther issue. A good chunk of the leadership either actively encouraged that type of talk, or never said a word to counter it. Now that the R establishment's guy--Romney--is getting the same type of treatment for not being an evangelical christian, the R leadership is horrified. It's like they opened up the dam and now they don't understand why they can't control the river. I'm disgusted with both parties right now, including my own.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times
I do not care about his being a Mormon, I do care about him being a Neo-Con. No thanks this voter will not back Romney.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:33 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,196,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
It has nothing to do with it. That sort of political low blow might just backfire also. Having been raised a Southern Baptist, I know many people who are affiliated with the Southern Baptists and I have not had one yet tell me Mormonism is a cult or that it would stop them from voting for Mitt Romney.

This pastor who made these ignorant statements is the pastor of one of the largest Southern Baptist churches in Texas and he is a friend of Rick Perry's. He is also an embarrassment to Christians IMO. I would respect Rick Perry much more if he would come out and denounce this person and his hateful remarks. He did state that he doesn't agree, but it was very weak and he approved this man's introducing him at the Values Voter's conference so I am sure he knew what his remarks would consist of. This is very disappointing.
Actually anyone with a passing knowledge of christianity and the book of revelations could tell you why mormonism is fundamentally incompatible with christianity from a theological standpoint. Evangelicals and any biblical literalist saying they're cool with mormons referring to themselves as christians only means they don't know their own holy text very well. All of this is irrelevant to Romney since he's personally probably not very religious if at all and likely only sees the mormon church itself as a means to an end for his own benefit.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:42 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
All of this is irrelevant to Romney since he's personally probably not very religious if at all and likely only sees the mormon church itself as a means to an end for his own benefit.
Actually, Romney is quite a devout Mormon. Huntsman is a believer but much less devout than Romney.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:49 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Actually anyone with a passing knowledge of christianity and the book of revelations could tell you why mormonism is fundamentally incompatible with christianity from a theological standpoint. Evangelicals and any biblical literalist saying they're cool with mormons referring to themselves as christians only means they don't know their own holy text very well. All of this is irrelevant to Romney since he's personally probably not very religious if at all and likely only sees the mormon church itself as a means to an end for his own benefit.
You've got to be referring to Revelation 22:18-19.

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

I hope you're smarter than to be trying to use that as your argument against Mormonism.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:54 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,135,730 times
Quote:
I can't stand the guy. I think he's a flake who flip flops on many issues. He could jump through the rings of fire and I still wouldn't vote for him.

I'm also a non-denominational Christian, who grew up as attending an independent Baptist church.

But can someone tell me what his religion has to do with his viability as a GOP candidate? The latest statement by a Rick Perry supporter calling for thumbing down Mitt Romney because he's a Mormon reeks of bigotry and hypocrisy since most Baptists groups in the United States, actively promote the separation of the church and state.

I really don' t see any difference between Romney as a Mormon or Carter as a Southern Baptist, or Kennedy as a Roman Catholic or even Pres. Bush's early morning prayers in the White House. They are all great Americans.
What I really object to is Comrade Barrack Houssain bin O'bummer as Rev. Jerimiah Wright's 'United Church of Christ' damn America, hate America crowd.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,869,709 times
Quote:

One thing you have to admit. The Repubs are making progress, they are beginning to hate the Repubs too.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:49 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,175,288 times
Quote:

Mitt Romney is an extremely devout Mormon, anyone in the Mormon church who knows him would attest to this. However, that has nothing to do with running for President or leading this country. Also, who are you to say that if you believe that Mormons are Christians, you are wrong. I have been in church since I was born and studied the Bible for years both in the church setting and during college. Maybe, some of us are more inclusive in our view of Christianity and know that denominations of religion are creations of man, not God and therefore all are imperfect and flawed in some ways if scrutinized. However, there are good teachings and works in all of them also and they far outweigh the negatives.

Last edited by dixiegirl7; 10-10-2011 at 01:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections