Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,062,745 times

Advertisements

I would hope so, it's insane.

If you are pregnant and don't know it you can have criminal charges brought against you if you do anything that might put the bundle of cells at risk, or manslaughter charges if you miscarry. I wonder if they would go all law and order on you looking to see if you did engage in at risk behavior for criminal charges if you did spontaneously.

In vitro fertilization would stop immediately since they implant more then one fertilized group of cells because they usually don't take, because it would be criminal.

You couldn't do anything if you are forcibly raped by a relative. Nothing is more enlightening then spending tens of thousands of dollars in medical expenses and fun related health issues with a 9 month reminder of the person who forced you down and did it to you against your will.

Seriously, it would be hard to find a more backwards law in America. I bet there has been but I don't want to be that disappointed with humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,574,384 times
The idiots who came up with this amendment probably would have bankrupted Mississippi battling the Supreme Court on this issue. Glad it failed.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:00 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,257,734 times
Conservatives = Love the zygote. Hate the person. Especially if the person wasn't born rich. Or Christian. Or heterosexual.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:55 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,566,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
Conservatives = Love the zygote. Hate the person. Especially if the person wasn't born rich. Or Christian. Or heterosexual.
So true.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:02 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,405,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
The idiots who came up with this amendment probably would have bankrupted Mississippi battling the Supreme Court on this issue. Glad it failed.

The measure failed but the issue is far from being settled.

The compromise language of Roe defining life and personhood lacks logic because it was never intended to be logical, just agreeable.

We all know the same same things because they are self-evident.

The pro-abortion people can argue the issue of when life begins at least as long as the pro-life people can present logical reasons for why conception is the only event which can possibly change that which is not a person into a person.

No one really changes their public stance because they hear a strong argument from the other side, but in reality there is no need to because we all understand life begins at conception.

The difference in our stated positions comes down to our experience with responsibility and accountability.

Those of us who were raised to be accountable for our actions and who were charged with specific responsibilities while growing up will lean pro-life because we understand that our rights cannot be divorced from responsibility and accountability without the rights of others being denied.

If you didn't already know that, I've probably already lost you.

Suffice to say that when those who create life are no longer accountable for doing so and when the same individuals are no longer responsible for the well-being of the life they have created, imaginative rationalizations about who is or is not a person will be needed to compensate for a definable absence of common sense and decency.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:03 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,539,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"Mississippi would have become the first state to define a fertilized egg as a person, a measure which was aimed at outlawing abortion in the state but, opponents contended, would have led to all kinds of unintended consequences.

In the end, those concerns won out in a strongly anti-abortion state. The amendment trailed 59 percent to 41 percent with more than half of precincts reporting. The Associated Press has said it will fail."

It's scary that this foolishness actually made it on the ballot.

Anti-abortion ‘personhood’ amendment fails in Mississippi - The Washington Post
I'm so glad reason and logic have trumped zealous politicians wishing to control some of our most personal and private rights.

The Republican agenda of taking away personal decisions regarding intimate matters is doomed to failure and will be the "undoing" of the G.O.P.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
This was very flawed and had numerous problems. It's another example of going way too far to the extreme and people just not buying it. I am prolife, but this was too much.
Even Haley Barbour had a problem with the bill. You are right, sometimes the radicals (on either side) go way overboard.

Nita

Old 11-09-2011, 05:55 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,781,142 times
We should focus on policies that help reduce unwanted pregnancies. I feel that is the better way to go about the issue.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:08 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,837,303 times
Pro-choicer here, yes we had that same amendment in Colorado a few years back and it didn't pass either. I may have said it before somewhere else, but it wasn't the bill that I thought was nonsense as much as the way it was proposed; the wording was vague and though most intelligent people could grasp the meaning of it, I just personally felt offended that somebody actually thought they could fool everyone with their vagueness, and therefore the bill was an insult to most voters' intelligence.

I would never get an abortion personally but I don't feel that it's my right to tell others what to do.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:11 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,924,846 times
This refutes the widespread prejudice that Mississippians are uneducated rednecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections