Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 09:09 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,503,810 times

Advertisements

[quote=LML;22114933]
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wrong

they raised the levies because of the descreasing property values

and the seniors get massive credits off their property taxes (here in NY we call it star)
walker has NOTHING to do with property taxes

WRONG!!!!! I don't know what they do in NY......just as you clearly have no idea what we actually do here in WI.....but seniors do NOT get credits...massive or otherwise....off our property taxes. I am a senior and believe me, I would know if there were any credits available on my property taxes.

Thanks to Walker, I'll be paying more for less. Our small city had to lay off 20 police and firefighters. We had to lay off dozens of teachers and teachers aides that helped handicapped students. We had to lay off public works personnel that clear the snow and pick up trash. And of course the loss of those jobs has impacted us through the loss of the service they provided as well as the loss of their buying power.
ok.. then wisconsin doesnt have it

here in ny over 65 gets 2...a 50% deduction on top of a 50k reduction....ie your taxable value is 200k you are reduced to 150k and then the tax levie of that amount is reduced by 50%

here is the actual law
65 and over .........Up to $50,000 assessed value is exempt from
school taxes.

65 and over .........Local option exemption up to 50 percent
assessed value. The law allows each county,
city, town, village or school district to set the
maximum income limit at any figure between
$3000 and $20,500.

Localities have the further option of granting
an exemption of less than 50% to senior
citizens whose incomes exceed the local income
limit up to $28,900.

wisconsin does have credits for ALL ages though

All ages .......The lottery and gaming credit against property
tax is allocated to every property used as the
owner’s principal dwelling in an amount
determined by multiplying the school tax rate
by the credit base or fair market value of the
property, whichever is less.
All ages ........The school levy tax credit against property tax
is distributed by the state to municipalities
based on their share of statewide levies for
school purposes during the three preceding
years. Within municipalities, credits are
allocated according to each property’s
percentage share of the municipality’s total
taxable value.

wisconsin also does In addition to above, the state provides a property tax deferral loan program. This program is all about providing loans to qualifying senior citizens to help them pay their property taxes for their houses.

Last edited by workingclasshero; 12-14-2011 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Massive efforts underway in WI to recall gov. Walker. These efforts are fueled by the vote against abolishing public unions in Ohio.

Read more: Massive effort's humble start
Yup, lots of folks signing the recall petition:

Mickey Mouse, Adolf Hitler Allowed On Wisc Recall Petitions...

Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times
Quote:
Let me get this straight. In Walkers's kingdom, property values went down however, the rate went up. Most people I know in WI will be paying in more actual dollars even though their property value went down. Nice!
My property value did not drop. come up with a legitimate reason to recall an elected governor, and the libs can stop winging and crying that their guy lost, and boo-freaking-hoo, they <sniff> just don't like walker's politics.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 AM

78,477 posts, read 60,666,856 times
[quote=LML;22114933]
Quote:
wrong

and the seniors get massive credits off their property taxes (here in NY we call it star)

WRONG!!!!! I don't know what they do in NY......just as you clearly have no idea what we actually do here in WI.....but seniors do NOT get credits...massive or otherwise....off our property taxes. I am a senior and believe me, I would know if there were any credits available on my property taxes.

Thanks to Walker, I'll be paying more for less. Our small city had to lay off 20 police and firefighters. We had to lay off dozens of teachers and teachers aides that helped handicapped students. We had to lay off public works personnel that clear the snow and pick up trash. And of course the loss of those jobs has impacted us through the loss of the service they provided as well as the loss of their buying power.
My co-worker retired, we weren't able to fill their position so we just had to pick up the slack. I got no raise last year. My health insurance over the past 5 years has migrated to essentially a major medical plan......but how dare we lay off some public sector workers and ask them to work a little harder to cover the slack?

What you are implying is that there should be some sort of lifetime employment for these workers and they should be immune from the economic realities of the world.

P.S. You live in Wisconsin and are a retiree so unless you just moved there you should have known about WI property taxes....heck ALL taxes in WI total up to one of the higher aggregate tax burdens of any state. I saw a post here recently where a guy was looking to buy a condo in Milwaukee for 40k and the property taxes were over 3500 a year.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:46 AM

78,477 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
My property value did not drop. come up with a legitimate reason to recall an elected governor, and the libs can stop winging and crying that their guy lost, and boo-freaking-hoo, they <sniff> just don't like walker's politics.
Well that's their right under the rules of the state.

However, I think that there is A LOT of quiet support for Walker from residents that agree with trimming the government there like they've been trimmed in their own private sector jobs, small businesses etc.

It's quiet though because they don't want to be the "bad guy" to their neighbor, cousin etc. that works the public sector and hasn't missed a raise and pays a lot less for benefits etc.

Oh well, WI can just do what IL does and never face up to their deficit as it continues to grow.....like Greece's did.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,294,722 times
Quote:
The Capitol is not Walker’s private palace!

Walker acted as if he were king of the Capitol and tried to restrict the rights of others.

Read more: The Capitol is not Walker
Have you ever noticed that your Cap Times claims to be your progressive voice. That word turns me off immediately so although I read your link from front to back, I was against the admitted progressive writer and do not agree with him.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:09 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,294,722 times
Quote:

This recall effort has more and more a progressive sound to it. When you see that judges of signatures look only to see if a legal address is involved and not who the signatory person is I see some pretty "Mickey Mouse" work being done. I wonder if they really think that there really is a Mickey Mouse living in Wisconsin or if they don't care for partisan reasons.

Oh well the whole thing is put up and I don't think Mickey Mouse or Adolph Hitler will be signed up to vote anywhere there. Getting the election seems to be the single most important think to the unions that are concerned.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:14 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,209,709 times
[quote=LML;22114933]
Quote:
wrong

maybe you should have fired some of the politicians instead of cops. our trash is contracted out, doesnt go through the city at all.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:26 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,839,723 times
Quote:

People who seriously want Walker recalled would not sign the petition that way. Those signatures are obviously attempts, of those who support Walker, to sabotage the recall process.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:28 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,839,723 times
Quote:
Do you represent all the citizens of WI? Also, are you paying more in property taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections