Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 05:00 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,552,810 times

Advertisements

I'm not surprised Romney is doing well in FL, half the people there used to live in New England. (half kidding).

I am surprised that Newt of all people is pressing him in SC (and perhaps in FL eventually). Having been a voting adult during Newt's previous tenure in DC I can't imagine anyone thinking he should be POTUS... but that's freedom for ya'!

Lot of excuses from the Ron Paul supporters in this thread.

A distant 3rd in SC.
RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - South Carolina Republican Presidential Primary

A distant 4th in FL.
RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - Florida Republican Presidential Primary

Primaries are about gaining sequentially, about carrying momentum forward into the next primary. This isn't the election where states X and Y can be ignored because state Z will vote overwhelmingly for you. Do poorly in a few early primaries and you never even get to the later states.

Spin it any way you want but poor showings in both and you get no momentum, and he basically disappears from potential voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 05:16 PM

791 posts, read 461,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I'm not surprised Romney is doing well in FL, half the people there used to live in New England. (half kidding).

I am surprised that Newt of all people is pressing him in SC (and perhaps in FL eventually). Having been a voting adult during Newt's previous tenure in DC I can't imagine anyone thinking he should be POTUS... but that's freedom for ya'!

Lot of excuses from the Ron Paul supporters in this thread.

A distant 3rd in SC.
RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - South Carolina Republican Presidential Primary

A distant 4th in FL.
RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - Florida Republican Presidential Primary

Primaries are about gaining sequentially, about carrying momentum forward into the next primary. This isn't the election where states X and Y can be ignored because state Z will vote overwhelmingly for you. Do poorly in a few early primaries and you never even get to the later states.

Spin it any way you want but poor showings in both and you get no momentum, and he basically disappears from potential voters.
Spin it any way you want to is good advice, and I'm happy to see you taking it in your own post. Momentum hasn't really got anything to do with primaries, DELEGATES are the only thing that matters. The Paul campaign isn't even trying to do anything in Florida, it's a winner-take-all state, and has only 1/2 of it's normal complement of delegates anyway. SC is a little disappointing, but not really surprising considering the demographics.

Only Romney and Paul are on the ballots in all 50 states, so anything that the other candidates do won't matter. Ron Paul will be in this all the way to the convention, regardless.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:26 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,053,203 times
More support for the moderate, it seems. Oh well, looks like either way, we'll be having 4 more years of the same foul smelling excrement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections