Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:24 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times

Advertisements

Why US Needs South Korea Base | The Diplomat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:28 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Educate us. Instead of, "There are reasons," tell us the reasons. Try to find good reasons. Thanks.
We live in a global economy, stability and the free flow of trade is extremely important. Our global presence helps to maintain that. However, I did say I believe that presence can be reduced.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:36 AM

791 posts, read 460,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Sorry, I could only get through the first page. As soon as I saw the term 'collective good' my stomach started churning. If even the people of S. Korea don't want our bases there, what the hell are we DOING there?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:51 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,652 times
I don't know why but I think growing up in South America gave me .a different view of foreign policy.

Brazil is growing like crazy, it is now the 6th economy in the world, has a good relationship with Cuba, Iran, Venezuela and you never hear about that country being threatened by terrorists. And they don't have bases all over the world.

They must be isolationists.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:52 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times
Quote:
It seems as if there are more reasons (or just as many) in this article for foreign relations why the US should leave than to stay.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:58 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times

Ron Paul is the Best for Defense - YouTube

One of our own Army Colonels, Douglas Macgregor, tells us that we can't afford the foreign policies of Santorum, Romney or Gingrich.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:01 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times
Quote:
Ok first of all South Korea has 10 times the economic power of North Korea, South Korea has a very good army 500,000 troops and well equiped and one of the best in the region. As far as the united states goes and how we deal with China and any kinda of threat we have submarines and nukes that can hit any tarket anywhere in the world. We dont need anything in South Korea if we ever needed to stop China I think that would be a mistake on China's part. China is more intereted in destroying countries with economics then with guns.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:10 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
I've looked long and hard at the North Korea vs South Korea equation. All the South lacks is a larger air force, and that can be purchased from the USA military contractors or NATO anytime they want. If the USA withdrew, they would do exactly that.

The South has 700,000 man strong active military the North's 1.1 million. It sounds like a complete mismatch, but it isn't. South Korea has cutting edge modern military. North Korea has outdated equipment across the board. They have absolutely ancient tanks, artilery and still count propeller powered fighters as part of their combat air force. Theirs is one of the most dated military forces on the planet! They have some newer stuff but not much. SK has a population of 48.8 million to NK's 24.0 million. Both nations are fully prepared to put every available body into uniform and both have mandatory military service requirements. So SK can put more boots on the ground than the North -- twice as many to be exact. They have better tanks, better aircraft and better military tech across the board. They can make more military hardware at a breakneck pace.

If war broke out tomorrow, it would look almost exactly like the numerically inferior US military vs the numerically frightening Iraqi military. NK would do a lot of damage with initial barrages of artillery, but SK would return the favor. The North invading is something the South is ready for any time of the day, any day of the week. They can't surprise SK. The Korean War part II would see a lot of people killed on both sides, but South Korea wins that fight easily.

The only wild-card is China. So offer up the withdrawal of US forces contingent upon the Chinese agreeing to not intervene if the two Koreas go to war again. We have the capacity to return very quickly if China breaks their word of course. But SK can beat NK on their own, believe me.

NK knows this. Our forces are actually a bad thing right now. Our forces become the excuse for North Korea not invading like they always say they will. One of two things happens if the USA leaves. Either the North attacks or they don't. If they do, they lose. If they don't, they rapidly lose face in the eyes of their own people. Either case accelerates Korean unification.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
You do realize as Commander in Chief he would have absolute power to bring the troops home, and implement various parts of his planned foreign policy, right?

He actually polls against Obama stronger than all the candidates now, but very close with Romney.
what polls?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,801 times
Quote:
And what gives you or anyone else the right to decide that my tax dollars should be used for protecting South Koreans from North Koreans? South Korea needs to protect themselves. Why not have the government pull out our troops from South Korea and save everyone's money, and you can write a check yourself to the South Korean government every month to satisfy your whims and fancies? The gall of some folks to play God with Other People's Money is beyond despicable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections