Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:43 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,975,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
... The GOP has switched the argument back to the "three G's"- God, guns, 'n gays!!!
Oh please, the campaign WILL be all about obama's FAILED record.

Why do you think his re-election strategy is to AVOID talking about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:00 AM

39,090 posts, read 51,273,483 times
New unemployment claims dropped AGAIN this week to the lowest in four years. It is getting harder and harder to make the claim that the economy is not improving. Reps, though, are famous for denial of the obvious even with the facts staring them in the face. Witness climate change and evolution. I doubt their song will change much, but I agree with the posters that are seeing a change back to the old themes of God, guns etc.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,213,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
New unemployment claims dropped AGAIN this week to the lowest in four years. It is getting harder and harder to make the claim that the economy is not improving. Reps, though, are famous for denial of the obvious even with the facts staring them in the face. Witness climate change and evolution. I doubt their song will change much, but I agree with the posters that are seeing a change back to the old themes of God, guns etc.
I disagree and say the "recovery" is artificial smoke and mirrors stimulus to give the appearance of recovery until the election. Congrats on your second star BTW>

Old 02-09-2012, 11:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
IBut the comments about the GOP's lack of vision are on target. All we hear is how they'll undo everything Obama has done.
What lack of vision was being discussed?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:12 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh please, the campaign WILL be all about obama's FAILED record.

Why do you think his re-election strategy is to AVOID talking about it?
Actually, the campaign already has become about the ineptness of the Republican candidates. Don't believe me? Read the polls. Read the stories that show Romney is becoming less liked as time goes on. Look how Santorum, a person who has no business being in the picture is winning somehow.

If you are given a weak opponent, you go after the opponent directly.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:26 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,869,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
You asked. Here you go. With numbers:

RON PAUL "PLAN TO RESTORE AMERICA"*|*Ron Paul 2012 Presidential Campaign Committee (http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/ron-paul-plan-to-restore-america/ - broken link)

Do you have an Obama plan for 2012 or should I refer to the one from 2008 since he hasn't gotten to it yet?
You mean other the one underway at the present time? I think his 2012 plan will be to do as much as he can until the GOP decides to pitch in and help. Until then, we will have to take small steps getting out of the mess, well, unless we can remove the obstruction this Nov.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,839,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yep, that is our daughter as well: 32 years with the same company, starting as an intern in college, downsized a year after making VP and hasn't worked since Dec except a few consulting jobs. She is close, but no cigar yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInAmerica View Post
Tell that to my peaceful, hardworking, highly skilled, highly educated, and unemployed family.
What do "conservatives" call people who can't find job in months, much less years?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:03 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,414,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I've seen a couple of stupid threads where posters were slagging on Obama, too.

Fact is, this election WILL be about Obama's performance. Or more accurately, the public's perception of his performance. And it's still 9 months off. But the comments about the GOP's lack of vision are on target. All we hear is how they'll undo everything Obama has done.

In other words, "things were better in the Bush years and let's do it all over again." Heck, they even have another mideast war in their back pocket, primed and ready to launch. Thing is, they never mention Bush by name, for some silly reason. Or his dad, either. Lots of Reagan references. But no forward vision. Only looking backwards.

"Tax cuts and trickle-down"

Let's see how that sells.
in all fairness, Obama will have that mideast war too. Don't think he won't do it. But your other points

Old 02-09-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
better yet...let's just let the guy have another 4 years. His economic 'PLAN' of bailouts...government guaranteed loans to GREEN companies...lack of action on illegal immigration AND blocking all State efforts to do something about it...and raising the debt ceiling every time we turn around is working just GREAT isn't it??

You left wingers have no ability to see the failings of this clown. Your partisan BLINDNESS is the undoing of this ONCE great country.

The government needs to change it's ways...not reward failure with another term!! The obama way is PROVEN to be a failure...throwing money at every problem leads to nothing. Not encouraging the creation of production jobs leads to less government revenue..and spinning the FACTS to make it look like obama's plan is working highlights your ignorance.
when is the last year the debt ceiling wasn't raised? ignorance? who is being ignorant. this post is comical. You can disagree with Obama's politics all you want, I'm fine with that. But to call others partisan and blind while saying what you said above is just laughable.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I disagree and say the "recovery" is artificial smoke and mirrors stimulus to give the appearance of recovery until the election. Congrats on your second star BTW>
if new filings for unemployment are down, does that not indicate fewer layoffs?
if private sector hiring is increasing (not quite long enough for calling it a "trend", but getting close), is that not more hiring?
Consumer debt increased in December - which, sadly, is a sign of increased consumer spending.
Incomes have risen slightly, which is another positive sign.

What exactly about those items are artificial recovery? All of this happening while state and local governments continue to cut spending and layoff employees, yet the country is still achieving modest positive growth...no one is saying to be ecstatic about it, but the trend is beginning to reveal itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections