Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:12 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
"The word Southern in Southern Baptist Convention stems from its having been founded and rooted in the Southern United States. The SBC became a separate denomination in 1845 in Augusta, Georgia, following a regional split with northern Baptists over the issues of slavery. After the American Civil War, another split occurred: most black Baptists in the South separated from white churches and set up their own congregations."

Read more about it here:
Southern Baptist Convention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you don't trust Wikipedia, any history book will do. Wikipedia really just summarizes the story of course, but the Southern Baptist Churches came into existence in order to protect slavery. The American Baptist Churches were quite zealous in denouncing slavery and that just wasn't fashionable in the South. So they split from the main body of Baptists and created their own Baptist convention: The Southern Baptist Convention/Churches. Eventually, the SBC went from protecting the institution to preaching that it was God's will that blacks should be slaves. Some SBC ministers going so far as to claim that blacks had no souls and were no better than animals in the eyes of God. The SBC's pro-slavery/pro-racism rhetoric is the very foundation of the ugliest and most persistent legacy of racism in the USA. Dixiecrats, Jim Crowe Laws, the KKK were just extensions of their dogmatic racist teachings. Today's KKK and other white supremacist organizations are simply natural successors to old-school Southern Baptist dogma.

Every religion has demons in its past and our nation's second largest religion is no exception. The SBC has changed their tune and have made great strides to put their past behind them. The even got around to officially apologizing for their racist past in 1995.

The truly ridiculous thing is that SBC members and even some of it's pastors are so oblivious to their own toxically racist past that they don't even realize how completely hypocritical it is for them to call Mormons on the carpet for racism. Nobody can beat the SBC for it's ugly racist past.

My take on things? Stop fussing about the past and focus on the now.

Thank you for filling in the blanks. I was trying to make the point without the whole history, but I see it was necessary for some.

You are right that many religions have their unpleasant periods and historical issues. The bringing up of one's by others that have had their own issues is hypocritical. I agree about focusing on the present. There is way too much time wasted on issues like this that don't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 01:21 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,758,654 times
Stupid humans ... you do not deserve to remember .. And that willl be the first thing we take from you is your will.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:24 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
I saw this comment from michiganmoon in the official primary thread, and thought it merited it's own discussion:

Now, some may think I'm trying to come up with excuses for Romney. But even I thought his religion wasn't that much of a problem anymore. I figured that many Southern and evangelical voters genuinely (and wrongly) believed he wasn't conservative enough. But this evidence, which can be seen in any exit polls, makes it sound as if their only problem with him is his faith.

Now, I think everybody would have thought this question was a no-brainer a few years ago, but we don't seem to hear about Romney's religion as much anymore and I thought we'd mostly moved past it. I figured many Romney-opponents in the GOP would happily vote for other staunchly conservative Mormons in spite of personal discomforts with the faith (Chaffetz, Glenn Beck, Mike Lee, etc) and that their opposition to Romney was based purely on his perceived lack of conservatism. I now truly think it is his faith that is keeping him from clinching the nomination. Not an overwhelming opposition, but enough in some Southern states that it keeps him from being competitive. It also may be keeping his margins down in some Midwestern states. Thoughts?

why is anyone considering his religion?

does this mean we can now consider obamas religion of islam when people go to vote in november?

Old 03-09-2012, 01:32 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
why is anyone considering his religion?

does this mean we can now consider obamas religion of islam when people go to vote in november?
Considering Obama ISN'T a Muslim, then NO.

I will consider a person's religion if they tend to force that religion on others like umm Sanitorium wants to.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:05 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,595,280 times
Question hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The SBC has changed their tune and have made great strides to put their past behind them. The even got around to officially apologizing for their racist past in 1995.

The truly ridiculous thing is that SBC members and even some of it's pastors are so oblivious to their own toxically racist past that they don't even realize how completely hypocritical it is for them to call Mormons on the carpet for racism.

Interesting.

Had both organizations officially apologized would this be a topic of discussion?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:30 AM

37,179 posts, read 19,183,039 times
My Mother says if she has to chose between a black man (my words) who is a Christian and Romney who isn't a Christian (her words), she'll stay home on election day.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:23 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
My Mother says if she has to chose between a black man (my words) who is a Christian and Romney who isn't a Christian (her words), she'll stay home on election day.
Wow! And what do you think of that? (Personally, if my mom had said that, I'd rather die that admit it!)

Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Does a bear **** in the woods? Yes, his mormonism hurts him somewhat. It will hurt him more in the primary than in the general though. If he can get past the religious bigots in the GOP, his performance in the general will be based on qualifications, not religion.
There are a lot of religious bigots in the Democratic party as well; pepole who post on this forum and mock religion. Granted there are some conservative atheists as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgthree View Post
I dont think it is hurting him, but its not helping him or really effecting him in any way.

I do find it interesting that Santorum is much more politically aligned with Evangelicals while Romney is securing most of the catholic vote. I think it shows catholics don't follow doctrine too often and find someone who does overbearing.
I think it's more that Catholics, like mainline protestants, don't use religion so much as a litmus test as the evangelicals do. And evangelicals in general do not care for Mormonism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The word is actually "pedophiles" and in all honesty, this is the first time I've ever heard Mormons described as being pedophiles.
I think it comes from Warren Jeffs and those teen brides in the FLDS. Most people don't know and don't care to know the difference.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Wow! And what do you think of that? (Personally, if my mom had said that, I'd rather die that admit it!)

Isn't that the truth! I really hope some of these people are trolls and not serious with some of this.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:50 PM

70 posts, read 46,177 times
If his Mormonism is to blame for his constantly showing his true extra-terrestrial form, then yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections