Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Should be the GOP VP?
Condoleezza Rice, Former Sec of State 4 10.00%
Paul Ryan, Rep WI 2 5.00%
Marco Rubio, Senator FL 9 22.50%
Rand Paul, Senator KY 8 20.00%
Chris Christie, Gov NJ 3 7.50%
Bobby Jindal, Gov LA 1 2.50%
Rob Portman, Senator OH 0 0%
Bob Mcdonnell, Gov VA 2 5.00%
Susana Martinez, Gov NM 5 12.50%
Other 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:01 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,090,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Howdy Doody...

I hear he's got nothing to lose.
That's as good a running mate as any....the GOP doesn't have a horse to run in this race,so it doesn't matter WHO runs for VP...it's over before it began.

Howdy Doody is smarter than the last dummy that ran for VP on the GOP ticket too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 04:07 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,955,728 times
Who cares? The VP is a potted plant position, basically just acting president when the president is out of the country, or president when the president dies. Other than that, we barely hear about the VP beyond election year and political blogs. Americans play way too much unneeded importance on the VP. Then again, most of the public is pretty dumbed down (by design)

Old 03-11-2012, 04:41 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,175,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
He'd need to pick anyone that could help with the independents. Should pick someone really moderate.

And the extreme right will want someone who apeals to them, so you can't do both. I don't think independents will be the issue once the nomination is finalized...if it ever is. He needs someone who balances him...southern or midwestern, conservative without being offensive about it, and from a state we need to carry.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,012,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
Lets say Romney wins who should be the pick?
I want him to pick Sarah Palin.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:08 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,090,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I want him to pick Sarah Palin.
Howdy Doody,Sarah Palin=same thing

Old 03-11-2012, 05:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
He'd need to pick anyone that could help with the independents. Should pick someone really moderate.
really moderatr? If you think Romney isn't really moderate you must be to the left of left?

Old 03-11-2012, 07:04 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,245,295 times
Christie has actually said that if Romney felt that he really needed him he would seriously consider it. That said I'm not sure if Romney would want to go that route, it doesn't really diversify the ticket geographically. Of course Christie is the one more moderate option that most conservatives would probably accept and Independents would probably like it.

I think Rice would be the most intriguing option but I'm not sure if she'd go for it. Another person that I wanted to mention was Jeb Bush but unfortunately his last name would probably hurt him which is a shame since he would be a great choice.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:07 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,170,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
And the extreme right will want someone who apeals to them, so you can't do both. I don't think independents will be the issue once the nomination is finalized...if it ever is. He needs someone who balances him...southern or midwestern, conservative without being offensive about it, and from a state we need to carry.
True. I always assume the far right will vote for anyone other than Obama though, considering they vote for Santorum.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:12 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,473,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Howdy Doody...

I hear he's got nothing to lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
That's as good a running mate as any....the GOP doesn't have a horse to run in this race,so it doesn't matter WHO runs for VP...it's over before it began.
Ummm...Obama's approval ratings are in the 40's, unemployment is at 8.3%, home values are at record lows, Romney leads Obama in some polls, and you Obama lovers think he is a shoo-in?

Why would people who are able to give tons of money to the campaigns and Super PAC's (most of whom are smart or they wouldn't have the money in the first place) be giving them so much money if the race is "over"?

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 03-11-2012 at 09:55 PM..

Old 03-11-2012, 09:15 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,473,931 times
Quote:
I think Bob McDonnel will be the best strategic choice and if it's Romney the best compliment to his background, in that McDonnel adds to Romney's expertise. He is also strategic in that we need to carry Virginia this time.
I think he would be a terrible choice when Democrats are already accusing Republicans of conducting a "war on women." See this...

Bob McDonnell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While hopefully the cries from the Democrats about the Republicans' "war on women" will blow over long before a running mate is announced, can you imagine what a big deal they would make about his thesis? It would play right into their tactic to get more votes from independent women.

Quote:
The VP choice is not really up to the nominee though. I know it is made to look that way, but not really. There is already a very short list the party has vetted and the vp is more than likely down to a few people.
They at least have some say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections