Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:40 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,905,578 times

Advertisements

If Reagan had succeeded in '68 before the rise of the Christian right I think things would have been a lot different. Now we have one party that favors social tyranny, one party that favors economic tyranny, and no one, who can win, that favors no tyranny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 02:57 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,962,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
[LEFT]

[LEFT][LEFT]The tax on capital gains directly affects investment decisions, the mobility and flow of risk capital... the ease or difficulty experienced by new ventures in obtaining capital, and thereby the strength and potential for growth in the economy.
John F. Kennedy

[/LEFT]
John F. Kennedy Quotes - Page 4 - BrainyQuote

I hope that no American will waste his franchise and throw away his vote by voting either for me or against me solely on account of my religious affiliation. It is not relevant.
John F. Kennedy
[/LEFT]

Israel was not created in order to disappear - Israel will endure and flourish. It is the child of hope and the home of the brave. It can neither be broken by adversity nor demoralized by success. It carries the shield of democracy and it honors the sword of freedom.
John F. Kennedy

It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war.
John F. Kennedy

[LEFT]The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.
John F. Kennedy
[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]

[LEFT]A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living. Today's military rejects include tomorrow's hard-core unemployed.

Read more: John F. Kennedy Quotes - BrainyQuote

The

Read more: John F. Kennedy Quotes - Page 4 - BrainyQuote

Read more: John F. Kennedy Quotes - Page 2 - BrainyQuote
[/LEFT]
Is there something in that mess of a post that a majority of mainline Democratic or Republican voters would object to?

Old 03-19-2012, 03:12 PM

7,185 posts, read 4,771,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
I hear you. It will do everyone good to read some of Goldwater's quotes. He was a prescient man.
Thank you for the quotes.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:29 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
They have had to fight the Democrats giving away the US Treasury to government union employees and for social services in exchange for large donations to the Democrat party and the vote.
Kind of like how the senior vote was bought with unfunded prescription drug coverage?

There hasn't been a Republican president as long as I've been alive who hasn't been grossly irresponsible and exploded our debt. The GOP is the party of enormous deficits, enormous unfunded expenditures, economic instability, and huge giveaways to buy votes. But hey, as long as they demonize blacks and gays and hispanics, it's all good, right? Who cares about blowing a 7 trillion dollar hole in Medicare? Who cares about blowing 2 trillion on a war started based on false information (remember folks, you have to pay interest when you finance a trillion dollar war with borrowed money, and those soldiers coming home need medical care)?

Old 03-19-2012, 03:50 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,242,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Kind of like how the senior vote was bought with unfunded prescription drug coverage?

There hasn't been a Republican president as long as I've been alive who hasn't been grossly irresponsible and exploded our debt. The GOP is the party of enormous deficits, enormous unfunded expenditures, economic instability, and huge giveaways to buy votes. But hey, as long as they demonize blacks and gays and hispanics, it's all good, right? Who cares about blowing a 7 trillion dollar hole in Medicare? Who cares about blowing 2 trillion on a war started based on false information (remember folks, you have to pay interest when you finance a trillion dollar war with borrowed money, and those soldiers coming home need medical care)?

Well said. It's the reason they cannot be trusted with executive power. Democrats are not perfect but they're by far the lesser of two evils.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If Reagan had succeeded in '68 before the rise of the Christian right I think things would have been a lot different. Now we have one party that favors social tyranny, one party that favors economic tyranny, and no one, who can win, that favors no tyranny.
huh? What are you talking about? The rise of the so called Christain right has always been there, we just were not into technology and 24/7 news in 68 and Reagan? he was almost a brand new governor at that time, still thought by many as a washed up movie star.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Yeah, complain about "who has controlled", as if the OP is talking about laws. He is talking about... ideologies, and you sure can thank a relatively different era that took shape with arrival of Reagan. Social control has always played a major role in right wing platform (and as I've mentioned repeatedly, in EVERY country). And so it has in the USA. Goldwater's era, however, ended when Reagan's began, which is the contemporary republican party.
you are partly right, but not totally. I know a little more about the Reagan era than probalby anyon on this forum, but I will let it go without any further explanation He was a combination of the old and the new.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
huh? What are you talking about? The rise of the so called Christain right has always been there, we just were not into technology and 24/7 news in 68 and Reagan? he was almost a brand new governor at that time, still thought by many as a washed up movie star.
Ronald Reagan ran for President in the Republican primaries in 1968. He was not a brand new governor at the time and the Christian right was not much of an influence on Presidential politics until the late 70's. You are 0 for 3.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:47 PM

26,528 posts, read 15,097,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
Once the party of limited government, rational adults who didn't believe in crying and screaming like the left, and strong defense, i.e. "peace through strength" not necessarily endless wars. Now jihads into people's bedroom, Glenn Beck et al. evangelistic preaching and crying, and general stupidity... RIP Goldwater
I can't blame you for your feelings. I feel similar. This party today would destroy an Eisenhower for being to 'moderate.'

Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 PM

We don't need a moderate, we need an extremist in defense of liberty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections