Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 04:41 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,355,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Sounds like the Left is worrying too much about Romney.

If what you say is true, you got it in the bag, right?

Although...the polls are basically tied now...even with all that "bad" press and nasty primary.

They seem to have forgotten Hillary got more votes then Barry did and it worked out. ( In Americas case it did not work out well )

They are scared of Romney because they know he will create jobs and put people to work earning a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 07:25 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,649,029 times
Lightbulb .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs0503 View Post
Also, most Santorum and Gingrich supporters considered Romney to be their second choice.
This makes sense...Republicans (59% of them) have overwhelmingly sent the message at the polls....Not Romney.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,092,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Romney's been running for president for 5 or 6 years. The Republicans don't like him. When afforded the opportunity to select a candidate to represent them as president, they choose overwhelmingly, Not Romney.

Romney has accumulated 4,595,908 or only about 41% of votes cast by Republicans thus far - RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - Republican Vote Count

Never mind. I can see you don't get it. Most on the left don't seem to understand it so I'm just going to stop trying after this. They seem to think Republicans were faced with with a binary choice between Romney, the default candidate; and Not Romney, a conglomeration of everybody else running. That's not the case. We had 7 candidates to choose from when the primaries began. Reasonably, the candidates should be expected to get about 14% of the vote on average. Once it whittled down to four people, you could expect each one to get 25% of the vote on average. Romney has well exceed those averages from the start. He may not be every Republican's top choice for president, but he is the most popular choice for president. More Republicans chose him than anyone else. Unless you can somehow provide evidence to the contrary, the people who didn't pick Romney as their top choice still like him. Your claim that they don't like him is totally unfounded, it just means they liked someone else better. Where's my evidence? I don't know - empirical evidence from every primary ever.
The fact is, I guarantee you (and I will publicly eat these words if I am wrong) that Romney will end up with a greater share of the primary vote this year than Obama did in the 2008 primaries. And Obama was in a 2-3 person race, not a 3-4 person race. Hillary got more votes than him. Those people weren't voting "Not Obama" they were voting for Clinton. Many of them still liked Obama, he just wasn't their top choice. Then when the general election came along, they rallied behind Obama without reservation. The same will happen here.

But I know you will read this and repost your OP rather than respond to what I said or actually explain why I have not effectively refuted your assertion. That's fine though, it the only confirmation I need that I am right and you don't know what to say

Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post

They seem to think Republicans were faced with with a binary choice between Romney, the default candidate; and Not Romney, a conglomeration of everybody else running.
Makes sense...the majority did choose someone other than the establishment guy who's been running for 6 years....

Old 04-15-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Makes sense...the majority did choose someone other than the establishment guy who's been running for 6 years....
If you don't think Pawlenty, Bachmann, Huntsman, Perry, Newt, and Paul have been planning this run for years, you have your head in the sand. We had a great variety of candidates to choose from, not a binary choice between Romney/Not Romney. I don't care if you don't think the other candidates ere good, of course you don't - you're a liberal. The fact is they are more than just not Romneys. But from among a large field of candidates, one emerged as the leader, and that was Mitt Romney. The plurality chose Romney. It's unreasonable to expect a majority in a 4-7 way race, but 41% is a pretty darn stand-out performance in a field that large.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 PM

30,550 posts, read 23,967,464 times
Quote:

Never mind. I can see you don't get it. Most on the left don't seem to understand it so I'm just going to stop trying after this. They seem to think Republicans were faced with with a binary choice between Romney, the default candidate; and Not Romney, a conglomeration of everybody else running. That's not the case. We had 7 candidates to choose from when the primaries began. Reasonably, the candidates should be expected to get about 14% of the vote on average. Once it whittled down to four people, you could expect each one to get 25% of the vote on average. Romney has well exceed those averages from the start. He may not be every Republican's top choice for president, but he is the most popular choice for president. More Republicans chose him than anyone else. Unless you can somehow provide evidence to the contrary, the people who didn't pick Romney as their top choice still like him. Your claim that they don't like him is totally unfounded, it just means they liked someone else better. Where's my evidence? I don't know - empirical evidence from every primary ever.
The fact is, I guarantee you (and I will publicly eat these words if I am wrong) that Romney will end up with a greater share of the primary vote this year than Obama did in the 2008 primaries. And Obama was in a 2-3 person race, not a 3-4 person race. Hillary got more votes than him. Those people weren't voting "Not Obama" they were voting for Clinton. Many of them still liked Obama, he just wasn't their top choice. Then when the general election came along, they rallied behind Obama without reservation. The same will happen here.

But I know you will read this and repost your OP rather than respond to what I said or actually explain why I have not effectively refuted your assertion. That's fine though, it the only confirmation I need that I am right and you don't know what to say
The PUMAs sure didn't like Obama. They were POed and were switching to Republican to vote against Obama.

How do I know? Because I helped them pass out fliers. I told them I was Republican but for us, it was a "war" to keep Obama out of office. Didn't work but there were a LOT of PUMAs and they did NOT like Obama.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
If you don't think Pawlenty, Bachmann, Huntsman, Perry, Newt, and Paul have been planning this run for years, you have your head in the sand. We had a great variety of candidates to choose from, not a binary choice between Romney/Not Romney. I don't care if you don't think the other candidates ere good, of course you don't - you're a liberal. The fact is they are more than just not Romneys. But from among a large field of candidates, one emerged as the leader, and that was Mitt Romney. The plurality chose Romney. It's unreasonable to expect a majority in a 4-7 way race, but 41% is a pretty darn stand-out performance in a field that large.
lol...You have no idea what I am.

Why did you leave out Herman Cain?

The Conservatives don't think Romney is a great choice, in fact they've written tons of articles stating he isn't a conservative...then they voted for the other guys.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:02 PM

756 posts, read 717,399 times
Quote:
The Conservatives don't think Romney is a great choice, in fact they've written tons of articles stating he isn't a conservative...then they voted for the other guys.
The GOP is such a fractured, smoldering mess.

Weak $Willard is gunna get stuffed in Nov...

Old 04-16-2012, 03:49 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,201,362 times
Quote:

Because Herman Cain dropped out before the first Primary.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:

I left him out because I was only listing candidates that I was certain had been planning this run ever since November of 2008. I have no idea what Herman Cain was thinking at that time.

So, by your logic, how conservative one is, is a function of how many people in the GOP primary voted for someone else. Okay, then the "other guys" are even less conservative because Not Santorum, Not Gingrich, etc all got more votes than Not Romney. Actually, Not Romney is the worst performing candidate out of all the "Not" candidates. I guess that means Romney is the most conservative.

Do you see how much sense your logic makes? I do think Romney was the best conservative running, but I certainly didn't arrive at that conclusion from your bizarre methodology.

And to answer your questions - its no secret you're a liberal. I've read your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections