Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:58 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
This is interesting~

I had read the history of Joseph E. Smith, and how he started one of the sects...but I never knew many of these issues were core Mormon beliefs.
Trust me, THEY'RE NOT. I am 63 years old and have been a Mormon all my life. I know my religion's doctrines, history and culture far better than anyone on this forum does. These statements are misrepresentative of Mormon doctrine. I would characterize most of them as creatively crafted paraphasings of statements that have been made by various Mormons during the Church's 182-year history. Some have a basis in fact but are grossly sensationalized. Others are flawed in one detail or another. Others are outsight lies.

If you want clarification with respect to any of these issues, please DM me and I'll explain each statement in enough detail for you to be able to see why I say this. I'm just tired of the bashing and won't be addressing any more posts on this forum. If you DM me, my answers will be honest and comprehensive, and there will be no proselytizing. I hope you don't see my as trying to evade the questions. It's just that no matter what I say, I'm told that I'm lying. Stop and think for a minute. If you were to want accurate information on Judaism, who do you think would be a more reliable source -- a Jew or a Muslim? If you were to want to better understand Catholicism, would you go to a practicing Catholic for information or to a Jehovah's Witness. If you'd go to a Jew for accurate information on Judaism and to a Catholic for information on Catholicism, why would you go to anyone other than a knowledgeable Mormon for information on Mormonism.

Last edited by Katzpur; 05-29-2012 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:30 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,963 times
Default Dat Ain't Ah Thang Like Tha Good Mormon Folks Dat I Knows !!! ... Not Ah Thang I Tells Yah !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I seriously feel sorry for anyone who buys into this kind of nonsense, but since you appear to be convinced that Tricia Erickson's comments are legitimate, I can't just sit back without at least saying something to set the record straight.

When I went into the website posted on your link, I found a number of blantantly false statements, among them...

Whenever something throws out the word "cult" or "cultic," I have to ask myself exactly what it is they're really trying to say. Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that, generally speaking, a "cult" is nothing more than "the church down the street from yours that you don't like." The "cultic temple ceremonies" she is referring to are in no way sinister or bizarre. The temple "endowment" ceremony involves instruction pertaining to the nature of God and his Plan of Salvation for His children. This instruction can be found almost verbatim in the LDS scriptures that are available to anyone who wants to pick up a copy or order one online. The endowment also involves making promises to God to obey certain commandments, in return for the promise of certain blessings. There is nothing to be deprogrammed from. If you stop believing what you're told in the temple, you stop believing it. It's as simple as that.

I don't know how old Tricia is or how many times she went to the temple, but I'm a 63-year old Mormon woman who was raised in the Church and has long-since lost track of the number of times I've been through the temple ceremonies. (I usually go once a month, so that will give you some idea of how familiar I am with them.) "Bizarre and symbolically violent" they are not. Everything done in the temple is done with an eye single to the worship of Jesus Christ. Period.

No Mormon is "sworn to be subject to the Mormon prophet." That's a flat out lie. Our allegiance is to God the Father and to His Son, Jesus Christ. Yes, we believe the President of our Church is a prophet chosen by God to be His spokesman in this day and age, just as Abraham, Moses, and Isaiah were prophets. We also believe them to be fallible human beings, just as Abraham, Moses, and Isaiah were. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has not (and will not) ever come out with an endorsement of Mitt Romney. Mormons all over the United States will go to church dozens and dozens of times between now and next November and will never once be told who they should vote for. If you believe Romney's "ultimate allegiance in all things must first be to the Mormon Church," don't you believe Harry Reid's allegiance in all things must also be first to the Mormon Church? Was Romney's allegiance in all things first to the Mormon Church when he served as Governor of Massachusetts? How on earth can you make statements like these that can so easily be proven false!

Tricia "walked the Mormon faith." Judas Iscariot personally walked, talked, and dined with Jesus Christ. How reliable a source do you believe he would be about Christianity? If you wanted accurate information on Judaism, would you go to a Muslim for that information? If you wanted to learn about Lutheranism, would you go to a Jehovah's Witness with your questions? Consider the source here. Tricia Erickson is a disgrunted ex-Mormon with an ax to grind. I don't know why she left Mormonism. Maybe he father was too strict with her and wouldn't let her hang out with the friends she wanted to hang out with. Maybe she got pregnant out of wedlock and her parents never forgave her. I don't know. But I do know that she is using her own person over-the-top animosity towards her former religion to poison the minds of everyone who will be suckered in to her web of hatred. If they are made to believe that Mormonism is something to be feared, they will grow to hate it as much as she does, and her purpose will have been accomplished.

As for your other link, I notice it was written by a "Former Satanist, Mason, and Mormon." That guy has got some really impressive credentials.

By the way... I'm voting for Obama, so I have no "hidden agenda" here.
Katzpur !!! ... ..... On the money as usual !

Cheers ... Old Sgt. Lamar ....................

Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,012,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
This election season just shows how hypocritical the Evangelical Christians can be. They supported Gingrich, a serial adulterer in large numbers during the primaries and now they will vote almost 100% for the person that they think is a cult member. Evangelicals prove over and over again that their votes are not based on any kind of principle, they will vote for anyone that is a member of Team Red, no matter what.
I'm not so sure about that. Those ppl have this thing about sinners overcoming/redeeming themselves, like George W overcame his drug addiction as an example, Newtie overcoming his infidelity, etc. Romney is not renouncing ANYTHING, he still remains a mormon, no changing him. He is still living in sin, not even trying to reconcile himself with the true god. He be dammed from the get go.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,098,022 times
Just heard about Romney being the candidate. I think the GOP can kiss their chances goodbye.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:14 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,553,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I know little about American politics, but I'm surprised Evangelicals/Fundamentalist Christians would be so cool with nominating a Mormon/member of the LDS Church. Don't most of them consider Mormons a kooky cult? How will he appeal to them?

Do you think theism (aside from possibly Muslim) is more important? Like it's more important to be conservative, whatever type of conservative, than a liberal who supports greenies, lefties, gays.etc.
By evangelical and Biblical standards Mormonism is a cult. But also by any standard, Obama is not a Christian either. You cannot believe that "sin" is violating your own standards or believe in more than one path to heaven (as Obama does) and be a Christian.
Reason #1

Reason #2

Reason #3

Reason #5

What we have are two unbelievers running for office. But even unbelievers can do moral things. All things being equal....If I have one unbeliever who wants to preserve marriage and stop abortion, he's got my vote over the guy that does not want those two major things.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:27 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,213,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I agree.
Most were for Santorum...
Baptists/hardcore evangelicals in the south do not like Romney.

They will just sit home on Election Day.
No. They will vote for the moral conservative, Romney. Obama tore it when he threw in with the gay lobby.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,413,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Rev Wright has never preached that "whitey was the dvil" or even the devil.

Obama's books were not theological theses.
These "people" will never let go of Rev. Wright and Black Liberation Theology!! For them it has a scary name, and that's all they'll ever acknowledge.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,213,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
What we have are two unbelievers running for office.
You have two people that believe different things. Romney believes in God. I'm not at all sure what Obama believes; it seems to depend on who he's talking to.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:40 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,299,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You have two people that believe different things. Romney believes in God. I'm not at all sure what Obama believes; it seems to depend on who he's talking to.
You just described Romney to a tee

Mitt Romney, Mr. Etch a sketch, I'l be whatever you want me to be.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:42 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,605,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I think some one told Obama that being a man of mystery makes him more attractive. Hide everything and keep 'em guessing, could be his motto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections