Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 06:57 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,040,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Mormonism seems like a nice mix of Star Trek, Orthodox Christianity and a Joseph Smith-worship cult. Entertaining video, though. It's not just Mormons who believe Native Americans are actually Israelites, though. Millions of Americans believe we all descended from Abraham/Noah.etc, so we're all really Israelites in a way.
People "beeleeeeeve" all sorts of things.

"When did modern humans colonize the Americas? From where did they come and what routes did they take? These questions have gripped scientists for decades, but until recently answers have proven difficult to find. New techniques of molecular genetic analysis, and a reinvigorated search for early archaeological sites across the western hemisphere, recently have led to some astounding results. From genetics we now know that a single population of modern humans dispersed from southern Siberia toward the Bering Land Bridge as early as ~30,000 years ago, and further dispersed from Beringia to the Americas after ~16,500 years ago."

Center for the Study of the First Americans

Native Americans came from Asia and there is evidence some groups originated in the South Pacific. Modern scientific Archaeology and DNA testing vs. "belief". You decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 07:01 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I see "The Godmakers" is making the rounds again.

An ad hoc committee from The National Conference of Christians and Jews (Arizona Chapter) produced an evaluation of the Godmakers movie. This committee was made up of:

3 Roman Catholics
1 Methodist
2 Presbyterians
1 Disciples of Christ
7 Jews
1 Greek Orthodox
2 Mormons

Highlights from their report stated:

The film does not - in our opinion - fairly portray the Mormon Church, Mormon history, or Mormon belief. It makes extensive use of 'half-truth', faulty generalizations, erroneous interpretations, and sensationalism. It is not reflective of the genuine spirit of the Mormon faith.

We find particularly offensive the emphasis in the film that Mormonism is some sort of subversive plot - a danger to the community, a threat to the institution of marriage, and is destructive to the mental health of teenagers. All of our experience with our Mormon neighbors provides eloquent refutation of these charges.

We are of the opinion that The Godmakers relies heavily on appeals to fear, prejudice and other less worthy human emotions. We believe that continued use of this film poses genuine danger to the climate of good will and harmony which currently exists between Valley neighbors of differing faiths. It appears to us to be a basically unfair and untruthful presentation of what Mormons really believe and practice.

We believe that most fair-minded people who would happen to view this film would be appalled by it, because their attitudes have been previously formed through many day-to-day experiences with Mormons which demonstrate that they are good friends, neighbors and fellow citizens.

In a separate statement, Rhonda M Abrams, the Regional Director for The Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith, said the following about the film:

I have now seen "The Godmakers" quite a number of times, and I thought you would be interested in my professional reaction to it. First of all, I was impressed by the high production values of the show. Clearly, this is not the work either of amateurs or those with very limited resources. The film obviously cost a lot of money to produce and... used the talents of a fairly sophisticated film-maker.

The use of a documentary format with a factual tone is a clever ploy to convey a high degree of believability to what is in fact an anti-Mormon work. I am fearful that many of those viewing "The Godmakers," especially those who are unfamiliar with the tenets of the Church of Latter Day Saints, will come away believing much of what they see.

Those who view it carefully, however, can see just how invidious and defamatory "The Godmakers" is.

First, the producers invoke one of the largest-standing canards of religious defamation - that one religion (or its adherents) control a disproportionate share of our nation's resources. This base charge, at bottom, implies that there are those who are not entitled to participate fully in our society and that inevitably such ownership will be used for evil ends.

Particularly invidious about "THE GODMAKERS" is its selection of a very few isolated cases, which may or may not be factual, and the implication that the characteristics of those cases are true throughout the LDS religion. We all know that there are unhappy and discontent people in every religion, and even if these cases are true, they say nothing about the Church or Mormons as a whole.

Moreover, the film repeatedly refers to the LDS Church as a cult, yet these individuals cases show people who have freely and knowingly joined the Church and just as freely chose to leave--hardly the mark of a cult.

Finally, the film makers jest of the religious beliefs and history of the Church. It is the nature of faith, however, that the beliefs of adherents seem ridiculous to those without faith. A non-believer could as easily, and as disrespectfully, ridicule the parting of the Red Sea, or the resurrection of Jesus. "The Godmakers" attempt to ridicule Mormon beliefs in this fashion clearly indicates the malevolent intent of the producers.

Had a similar movie been made with either Judaism or Catholicism as its target, it would be immediately denounced for the scurrilous piece that it is. I sincerely hope that people of all faiths will similarly repudiate "The Godmakers" as defamatory and untrue, and recognize it for what it truly represents - a challenge to the religious liberty of all.

Last edited by Katzpur; 05-28-2012 at 07:11 PM..

Old 05-28-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Mormonism seems like a nice mix of Star Trek, Orthodox Christianity and a Joseph Smith-worship cult. Entertaining video, though. It's not just Mormons who believe Native Americans are actually Israelites, though. Millions of Americans believe we all descended from Abraham/Noah.etc, so we're all really Israelites in a way.
Take the video with a grain of salt and read this post.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,098,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Take the video with a grain of salt and read this post.
Yes I know the makers of the film probably have their own agenda. If I want to know the truth about the LDS I'll have to go to what they have to say about themselves. Truthfully, that is.

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
That pretty much sums it up.

6,822 posts, read 6,641,367 times
Mitt Romney is a Mormon, not a Christian. Mormon's believe Lucifer is Jesus Christ's brother. Christians believe Jesus Christ created Lucifer (John 1)(Colossians 1:14-17). True Christians believe in the inerrant "Word of God" as Messiah Jesus said it was. They believe Jesus with no need to go to self-proclaimed "prophets" such as Joseph Smith with supercede and contradict Holy Scripture with the Book of Mormon.

There is no Holy underwear in Christianity. There is holy underwear in Mormonism. Christians believe that by faith alone in Jesus Christ we are reborn as "sons of God" in which Christ will reign as supreme King and Lord of the Universe and Human race. Mormons believe that through Jesus Christ and good works we can eventually become a "little god" with our sacred marriage in some universe somewhere.

"Evangelical" is an office of a born-again believer/son of God (born not of their own merit). His primary job is to proclaim the truth and lead people to Salvation through the Lord Jesus Christ. The free gift of Salvation/Justified before a Holy God (Ephesians 2:8-10)(Romans3,4,5) through faith alone in God through Jesus Christ accepting HIS works on your behalf turning to him through his Son.

A lot of people calling themselves Christians, but in the end what matters who God calls Christian.

Labels are dangerous as they organize error. Just read what the Bible says to see the difference.

This "evangelical" is not all that happy about a Mormon president. Or an Islamic one for that matter, but these folks are what we deserve for a backsliden nation that has denied the one that brought the blessing upon this nation for so long.

If you don't want God.. you might just get what you wish for. It doesn't have to be that way. Rejecting our Maker and Redeemer in Messiah Jesus is not wise.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,012,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Mitt Romney is a Mormon, not a Christian. Mormon's believe Lucifer is Jesus Christ's brother. Christians believe Jesus Christ created Lucifer (John 1)(Colossians 1:14-17). True Christians believe in the inerrant "Word of God" as Messiah Jesus said it was. They believe Jesus with no need to go to self-proclaimed "prophets" such as Joseph Smith with supercede and contradict Holy Scripture with the Book of Mormon.

There is no Holy underwear in Christianity. There is holy underwear in Mormonism. Christians believe that by faith alone in Jesus Christ we are reborn as "sons of God" in which Christ will reign as supreme King and Lord of the Universe and Human race. Mormons believe that through Jesus Christ and good works we can eventually become a "little god" with our sacred marriage in some universe somewhere.

"Evangelical" is an office of a born-again believer/son of God (born not of their own merit). His primary job is to proclaim the truth and lead people to Salvation through the Lord Jesus Christ. The free gift of Salvation/Justified before a Holy God (Ephesians 2:8-10)(Romans3,4,5) through faith alone in God through Jesus Christ accepting HIS works on your behalf turning to him through his Son.

A lot of people calling themselves Christians, but in the end what matters who God calls Christian.

Labels are dangerous as they organize error. Just read what the Bible says to see the difference.

This "evangelical" is not all that happy about a Mormon president. Or an Islamic one for that matter, but these folks are what we deserve for a backsliden nation that has denied the one that brought the blessing upon this nation for so long.

If you don't want God.. you might just get what you wish for. It doesn't have to be that way. Rejecting our Maker and Redeemer in Messiah Jesus is not wise.
God created Lucifer, not Jesus. Lucifer was an archangel, the brightest in all of the heavens who rebelled and became what we call Satan. Lucifer is where the word "light" comes from.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That pretty much sums it up.
And how would you know? Attend any LDS worship services lately, Finn? You could start going to LDS worship services this coming Sunday and continue going every week for the rest of your life and you would not hear this nonsense taught -- ever. I don't care if you hate and fear Mormons, but bearing false witness against other people is forbidden by God (unless, of course, you figure that when it comes to "warning" people about the "evils of Mormonism," I guess the end somehow justifies the means).

Old 05-28-2012, 07:51 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And how would you know? Attend any LDS worship services lately, Finn? You could start going to LDS worship services this coming Sunday and continue going every week for the rest of your life and you would not hear this nonsense taught -- ever. I don't care if you hate and fear Mormons, but bearing false witness against other people is forbidden by God (unless, of course, you figure that when it comes to "warning" people about the "evils of Mormonism," I guess the end somehow justifies the means).
Instead of trying to accuse me of hatred and bearing false withness, why don't you just point out the things you disagree in the movie. You just said that it is nonsense. You mean Smith finding the plates is nonsense? Well, at least you admit it, but the admission means your accusations against me are false.

Drop the fake outrage and just comment on the points on the movie.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:52 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,040,307 times
Quote:
Katzpur: If you believe Romney's "ultimate allegiance in all things must first be to the Mormon Church," don't you believe Harry Reid's allegiance in all things must also be first to the Mormon Church?
Yes, Reid too. Mormons walk both sides of the aisle since "gentiles" don't matter and are expendable, it is OK to lie to them. Just get into positions of control by any means.

Let's not mire this discussion in semantics. Mormonism is what it is. Is it a "cult"? Maybe any religion can be described as a cult as well as many secular organizations:

"cult   [kuhlt] Show IPA
noun 1.a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

2.an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

3.the object of such devotion.

4.a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

5.Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols."

Cult | Define Cult at Dictionary.com

Who cares if it is called a "cult" or a "banana" ? That is not an argument.

If I were to categorize it, I'd call it a huge corporation with an agenda of large scale control.

Perhaps, as a Mormon, you come under the same criticism you ascribed to the sources I used- which are but 2 among many, many available sources of information about the LDS. And take no offense, IMO devout zealots of any religious or secular organization are programmed. Remember that the congregation of any organized religion can be the last to know the inner workings at the top.

The Mormon Jesus is not the "same" as the Christian Jesus of Nazareth. Anyone can look this up and compare several sources.

Thousands of former Mormons would disagree with you as regards the need for "deprogramming" or relief from beliefs and practices that don't feel right in the heart or gut........ or doctrines about a man reading tablets by putting a stone in his hat and putting his face in the hat to decode the tablets via the stone. All NONSENSE, which some people have the need of support to overcome psychologically. Here is just one site:

Latest News | Recovery from Mormonism

Oh, and many wives in the afterlife- sounds kind of Muslimish. Believe what you want, but please don't run for President.

Edited to add: all of this what I call "nonsense" doesn't affect me in the least. It's the corporate aspect and political aspect that affects me.

Last edited by DifferentDrum; 05-28-2012 at 08:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections