Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:58 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,950,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Have you known any evangelicals? I have and they are pretty hardcore. Given that many evangelicals still feel that Catholics are papist-worshipping devils, it's hard to believe that they wouldn't have a significant problem with a Mormon. I have a hard time believing that they will sacrifice their religious beliefs for politics.
This man knows them to and his answer............Buchanan: Evangelicals Would Support "Romney, Who's A Mormon" Over "Barack Hussein Obama, Who's An African American Of The Left" | Media Matters for America

Although Media Matters had to add their own words, Buchanan didn't say "Who's an Africian from the Left" MM is as dumb as a box of rocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 10:02 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,612,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This man knows them to and his answer............Buchanan: Evangelicals Would Support "Romney, Who's A Mormon" Over "Barack Hussein Obama, Who's An African American Of The Left" | Media Matters for America

Although Media Matters had to add their own words, Buchanan didn't say "Who's an Africian from the Left" MM is as dumb as a box of rocks.
Buchanan, from your link: "The concentration of opposition to Mormons is among evangelical and fundamentalist Christians who are heavily concentrated in the South in the Bible belt. It is an impediment, and was an impediment four years ago, to Romney in terms of winning the Republican nomination "

The faulty premise in Buchanan's comment is assuming that Evangelicals will turn out to vote for Romney in the presidential election. It's just as likely that they will stay home because they can't stomach Romney or Obama.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm sorry if I offend any Mormons...maybe all religions began as cults, but Mormonism is a bit more cultish in my book.

If I was an American I wouldn't want anyone with SUCH an extreme and alien worldview to lead my COUNTRY.
I'm a Mormon, Trimac (you probably already knew that), but I'm voting for Obama. I just want to tell you that, in my experience, 90% of what most people think they know about Mormonism is not even accurate.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,237,135 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if I offend any Mormons...maybe all religions began as cults, but Mormonism is a bit more cultish in my book.

If I was an American I wouldn't want anyone with SUCH an extreme and alien worldview to lead my COUNTRY.
That's a HORRIBLE thing to say. It's astounding that you could say such a thing with a straight face.

I mean...."more" cultish? How? You profess to believe in a man that made millions of fish from one fish, that walked on water, and raised the dead. That's not extreme and alien? Damn...what planet are you living on?

I'm supposed to believe that Mormonism is some giant leap of ludicrousness from normal Evangelical Christianity? LOL...please. You're kidding yourself.

How you guys can beat up on Mormons is laughable.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,098,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm a Mormon, Trimac (you probably already knew that), but I'm voting for Obama. I just want to tell you that, in my experience, 90% of what most people think they know about Mormonism is not even accurate.
I'll admit I know very little about Mormons, but what I read was a little...well, you know...I mean it has it's good points. I mean the idea of having your own planet or whatever (which is probably inacurrate) sounds really awesome, I wish it were true!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:34 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,612,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's a HORRIBLE thing to say. It's astounding that you could say such a thing with a straight face.

I mean...."more" cultish? How? You profess to believe in a man that made millions of fish from one fish, that walked on water, and raised the dead. That's not extreme and alien? Damn...what planet are you living on?

I'm supposed to believe that Mormonism is some giant leap of ludicrousness from normal Evangelical Christianity? LOL...please. You're kidding yourself.

Come on, isn't the magic underwear worse than being a Catholic cannibal?

Hmmmm, scratch that. Nevermind.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Obama is a Christian, he's a total loon too, right? And just about every president of the USA too?

Old 05-28-2012, 04:44 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,396,450 times
Well in Australia our current Prime Minister is an unmarried childless woman who is an atheist and is 'living in sin' with her partner. How would the fundies handle that?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Well in Australia our current Prime Minister is an unmarried childless woman who is an atheist and is 'living in sin' with her partner. How would the fundies handle that?
Yes, and what's more, she's against gay marriage. And she wasn't even born in Australia.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,860,559 times
I grew up in the South and live in the South, yet Australians know more about Fundamentalist Christians than I do.

Why should I care about somebody else's religious beliefs?

Quote:
I know little about American politics, but I'm surprised Evangelicals/Fundamentalist Christians would be so cool with nominating a Mormon/member of the LDS Church. Don't most of them consider Mormons a kooky cult? How will he appeal to them?

Do you think theism (aside from possibly Muslim) is more important? Like it's more important to be conservative, whatever type of conservative, than a liberal who supports greenies, lefties, gays.etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections