Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,087,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
I don't get this whole thing about Mitt being born into privilege. According to Wikipedia, Mitt's father was a self made man who rose through the ranks of American Motors and never even finished college. Yes there was money in the family by the time Mitt came around, but it looks like to me, the Romney story was one of hard work and success, not one of privilege.

George W. Romney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The American dream in a nut shell

I voted for Obama before, but am going for Romney this time. Sorry Obama-but your jobs bill did not get me a job-the private sector did. First time in my life I will vote Republican.
George isn't running for president. Romney benefitted largely from his father's hard work, so he did indeed come from privilege even if his father didn't.

And your second paragraph is ridiculous. You're voting for a terrible candidate because the president didn't fill out applications for you on Monster.com? Where is your responsibility for your own life? And how is getting a job in the private sector better or worse than the public sector in relation to Obama's performance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 04:19 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,870,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
So the solution is to keep electing repugs. More Reaganomics and trickle-down will solve the problem. Right....
* You are not aware that repugs have enough power in Congress to block Democratic initiatives and are doing so? Blocking all bills which would benefit the American people?
* Mitch McConnell, who is supposedly in America's service, says his top priority is destroying the Obama presidency. Repug sabotage. They are trying with some success, and the right is ticked that it's not more.

I believe it is the Supreme Court that is taking a look at Obamacare, not the Republicans. You may not know it but the Democrats turned down much that Obama requested as well as the Republicans.

As far as McConnell's remark, do you remember Obama saying that Republicans would now be riding in the back of the bus? He said this only minutes after stating he wanted bipartisanship. When you put it all into context you realize they are ALL partisan and love to give out sound bites for attention.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:46 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That's not my argument. My argument is that is makes absolutely no sense to go from supporting Obama to supporting a socially backwards GOP version of Obama. Romney offers absolutely nothing different except the standard "let's control everyone with personal morality" GOP policy. Otherwise, he'll spend as much as Obama does, support corporations over the middle class and his massive cuts will actually make things worse. If you're going to not vote for Obama, fine, but at least vote for a candidate that is actually better.
Given the fact that we'll have a choice between Romney, and Obama, how exactly do you think we can vote for another candidate?

Old 06-11-2012, 05:39 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,087,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Given the fact that we'll have a choice between Romney, and Obama, how exactly do you think we can vote for another candidate?
Pretty sure you're able to write-in. Maybe a wasted vote, but I thought some of you were all "I'm too principled to vote for Obama now". Logically, if you can't vote for Obama, you shouldn't be willing to vote for Romney either as he is opposite on social issues and the same on spending and big government.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,770,897 times
I find it funny that Obama is being accused of being a stuffed shirt by the folks who put in W.

Shrub was like a classic Othello character and Karl Rove was Iago, except it would have to be Iago^2 because we had Cheney. Both of those guys took turns leading W around like a pomeranian to whiz on the people once a month then put him back in the kennel.

Seems to me that Obama has MUCH more independence and intellect than the last GOP guy. Besides, Romney is so frightened by the GOP base, he will be tying himself in knots with flip flopping and false promises.

Obama looks Churchillian compared to those guys.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:30 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,195,506 times
Shakespearean references are going to go over as well here as are reason and rational thought. You might want to dumb it down a little.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,939,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I believe it is the Supreme Court that is taking a look at Obamacare, not the Republicans. You may not know it but the Democrats turned down much that Obama requested as well as the Republicans.

As far as McConnell's remark, do you remember Obama saying that Republicans would now be riding in the back of the bus? He said this only minutes after stating he wanted bipartisanship. When you put it all into context you realize they are ALL partisan and love to give out sound bites for attention.
* Well Obamacare is just one bill out of hundreds, but it is in the news. This republican-appointed Supreme Court gave us Citizens United so five are acting politically republican.
* There are words and deeds and McConnell is following through on his promise to obstruct.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:31 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,770,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Shakespearean references are going to go over as well here as are reason and rational thought. You might want to dumb it down a little.
Ok, good point. Way to artsy fartsy..

You may not like Obama's brain, but at least he did not need a surrogate brain like Karl Rove...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections