Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 09:18 AM

92 posts, read 56,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Do you know that Marriage is a legal procedure, that includes rights given to each spose, so saying government should get out of marriage is like saying the goverment should get out of the court system.
It should be nothing more than a contract between 2 people. That way no one has any reason to complain if its 2 men 2 women or 1 man and 1 woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 12:39 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,050,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Folks voted for Obama because they didn't want Palin on their conscious

Now, young folks who voted for Obama because they were tired of having Bush Jr on
their conscious, are voting for Paul.

Is it too much to ask that you just vote for who you want

I'd be voting Paul if he was the GOP nod, but since he's not and I belong
to the Libertarian Party I'm voting for Gary Johnson.
My conscious feels pretty good, if not ecstatic
I'm an independent, mostly left leaning, and I too am just sick & tired of voting for the lesser of the 2 party evils.

I'm going to have to take some time to look into them, but I just may decide to vote for Libertarian candidates for the very 1st time.

Not so much because I think they will win this time around, but its time to start building viable alternatives to the stranglehold the establishment of both parties have on the elections.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:52 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,723,100 times
Gary Johnson could win the popular vote, I think, but Electoral College could still declare Barack Obama or Mitt Romney the winner. Maybe like this if Gary got 40%. Maybe if he got at least 50% of the polular vote, Electoral College would let him in to Oval Office. I think I like everything about Gary. He is for the 100% equally. Barack Obama & Mitt Romney favor the 1% & but will toss a few crumbs to poor & middle class. Obama & Romney bought with a billion dollars mostly from special interest groups, but Johnson is not. Want to be considered 2nd class or equal?

Gary has very detailed positions on where he stands on issues & why. He's a frugal millionaire-doesn't worship money or power. He says (in effect) give me your druggies, your gays, your racial minorities, your protesters, your poor and middle class, any the other parties expressed hate towards & probably lost their votes as a result. He also advertises he is more fiscally conservative than Mitt Romney, and more socially liberal than Barack Obama.

He would cut every govt dept & prgm 43%, except a few he'd eliminate-no favoritism. Why 43%? Because we borrow 43 cents of each dollar we spend. No more borrowing!

He would do everything he could to bring back every Constitutional right for all. Barack Obama and Mitt Romney don't like the Constitution as well, it seems. Barack Obama & Mitt Romney don't mind jailing people for cannabis. But Gary favors re-legalization with 100% tax, which would make it cheaper by 90% & as a legal industry provide jobs. Plus if the 50 million
admitted cannabis users save 90%, they can spend more to stimulate other areas of the economy. Gary fell 50' & he used cannabis 3 years to manage pain (instead of getting hooked on big Pharmas opiates). Broken bones back rib knee-ouch! Also we have a cancer epidemic & anecdotes say cannabis oil cures cancer-was in pharmacies until 1937.

He also favors elimination of IRS & income tax & corporate taxes. He would propose a 23% national sales tax, in addition to the 100% cannabis tax. This should be all that's needed to shrink the Federal budget by 43%-except some of the taxes could be charged by state & local govts. He will veto whole bills and do a line-item veto on most others to keep spending down, just as he did as 2 term guv of NM. Best wishes, all!

Old 06-16-2012, 10:28 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Gary Johnson could win the popular vote, I think, but Electoral College could still declare Barack Obama or Mitt Romney the winner. Maybe like this if Gary got 40%. Maybe if he got at least 50% of the polular vote, Electoral College would let him in to Oval Office. l!
Huh??I guess you still don't understand how the electoral college works.Which states,if any, do you think Gary Johnson,running as a third party candidate,can get a plurality in? I doubt there is a single state where he will come in second place much less first.Why do you think he could get 40-50% of the popular vote?

Old 06-16-2012, 10:36 PM

Default Gary Johnson will get voters from Dems & Reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yes, it is, giving a vote to Obama and I just can't do that, but I certainly see where you are coming from.

Nita
He advertises (to Republicans) as more fiscally conservative than Mitt Romney, & (to Democrats) as more socially liberal than Barack Obama. Plus he doesn't favor any one group over another. And he doesn't keep his positions on some issues a secret, or change positions on other issues just to get votes.

He's been for cannabis re-legalization since 1999. It helped his pain in near death 50' fall. Barack Obama says legalize pot #1 request to WH, but US attys under Obama were arresting sick in medical programs, even though BO admitted past use. Mitt Romney would likely be that way, too-refuses to discuss!

Medical plans: Obama & Romney similar forced Federal plans. Gary Johnson: block grants to states could be like 50 laboratories to see what works best. Not sure what most want for health care.

As for if he'll get more Republican or Democratic voters, I'm not at all sure. Reps & Dems seem so similar on most issues, while Gary is let's restore Constitution for all. The main thing that keeps Gary J. low in the polls is MSM has kept him unknown to many. When he gets up to 15% in polls, they will have to let him participate in the debates again (he's been in 2). He has internet town hall that voters can RSVP to get in. Very relaxed discussion, whatever he's asked, he answers. He's been on 3 cable shows in 1 week.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:06 PM

Default I think of Gary Johnson as unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Random name from the phonebook has the same chance of getting elected as Mr. Johnson.

and would likely be less nutty.

He may seem *very* different, because he is. I call it a mostly good "nutty"-ness, just hope he doesn't have another major accident from one of his dangerous adventures. He was at 8% prior to being on some cable shows: Comedy Central & MSNBC earlier this month.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:10 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,742,135 times
For me, Gary Johnson is a poor substitute for Ron Paul, but still better than either big party candidate in the race. In the end, Johnson may net 5% of the national vote. He is in the same pickle as Ron Paul was in 1988: The media pretends you don't exist when you're don't have a D or an R next to your name. Democrats and Republicans will bury Johnson under all the $$$ they'll spend blasting away at each other on campaign ads, etc. Gary Johnson will be out of sight and out of mind.

There have been other excellent 3rd party candidates. Ross Perot and Ralph Nader were both quite promising. But in this day and age, you can't hope to compete with the Dems or the GOP won the Libertarian Party's budget.

I'm in Illinois. I might have the luxury of voting for him or writing in Ron Paul. I probably won't though. Until somebody beats some sense into the heads of American voters, they will continue to be 100% sure there are only two political parties in the USA. Unfortunately, that means those of us in the middle have no good choices. We can vote 3rd party, but there will always be the worry that this puts "the greater of two evils" into the White House.

I'm willing to hold my nose and get behind Mitt Romney I will try my very best to feel enthusiastic about it. IMHO, he is vastly better than what we could have gotten stuck with had Gingrich, Perry or Santorum won. Underlying thing: Obama is doing more damage by the second, he's got to go!!

Old 06-17-2012, 01:29 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post

I'm going to have to take some time to look into them, but I just may decide to vote for Libertarian candidates for the very 1st time.
Libertarian Party | Maximum Freedom, Minimum Government

Good for you We welcome you with open arms

Libertarian 2012 Presidential Debate In Las Vegas pt.8 - YouTube

Note:
I'm not assuming you are/were a Paul supporter, but this is for You, just as much as it is for them
Starts around 5:20 but the whole video gives you an idea/feel of who we really are.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:58 AM

Default Polls can change greatly in 20 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Huh??I guess you still don't understand how the electoral college works.Which states,if any, do you think Gary Johnson,running as a third party candidate,can get a plurality in? I doubt there is a single state where he will come in second place much less first.Why do you think he could get 40-50% of the popular vote?
If people study issues, here's what I think he has to offer over Obama and/or Romney:
1: Clearly states his positions on every issue, explains why, doesn't flip-flop, 100% real (honest!)
2: Hard working. Not afraid of challenges. Virtually fearless.
3: No harmless people in jail. No warrantless spying or searching. No holding without charging.
4: Will veto or line-item most bills, no deficit spending. Cut everything 43% + eliminate few depts.
5: For legal cannabis, drop from schedule 1, 90% price drop with 100% tax. 126 medical uses known.
Would reduce health care costs & addiction to opiates. Would help boost economy, creating jobs.
6: Listens to needs/wants of all types of people, caring & respectful, no hating. "Tolerance is American"
7: Less wars, more friendly relations with other countries. "Peace is cheaper. Elect Peace"
8: No personal or corporate Federal income tax.
9: 23% national sales tax would likely exclude used, most food, business to business, low income.
10: No forced Federal Health care. Replace with block grants to states.
11: Highest rated candidate by ACLU & NRA. Many other endorsements. Constitutional rights restored.
12: End drug war, saves money, reduces crime, helps addicts get help without being arrested, helps non-violent former users get student loans, voting rights, jobs (view legal problems as medical).
13: Sensible middle ground on immigration.
14: Hired/will hire quality help: VP ret. judge Jim Gray; Jeffrey Miron, Harvard Economics professor. All the people close to him will be spokespeople who know where he stands. Must know to be hired. Efficiency.
15: More fiscally conservative than Mitt Romney. More socially liberal than Barack Obama.
16: Many Ron Paulites will vote for him, if they want to vote for someone on ballot. He can win if all the people who like him vote for him. He'll take votes from Obama & Romney, plus get more to polls.
17: Maybe 50% don't know his name or issues positions yet. Most will before November.. Of those in poll who studied his positions, about half said they liked all or most positions.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:04 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
For me, Gary Johnson is a poor substitute for Ron Paul, but still better than either big party candidate in the race.

Underlying thing: Obama is doing more damage by the second, he's got to go!!
I think Gary can stand on his own record, especially one as a governor, even against Paul's congressional
record. Whether folks think Johnson is just a political Libertarian is up for argument. I've been a Libertarian
my whole life, and I believe Gary is genuine. I'm just going to leave it at that.

The last statement in bold is predictably similar to the argument folks gave for voting for Obama,
after Bush Jr....And, I think we both know how that turned out...badly. Voting for Romney simply for
that argument, I believe, is a given...failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections