Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 02:37 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I think Gary can stand on his own record, especially one as a governor, even against Paul's congressional
record. Whether folks think Johnson is just a political Libertarian is up for argument. I've been a Libertarian
my whole life, and I believe Gary is genuine. I'm just going to leave it at that.

The last statement in bold is predictably similar to the argument folks gave for voting for Obama,
after Bush Jr....And, I think we both know how that turned out...badly. Voting for Romney simply for
that argument, I believe, is a given...failure.
I just want better options at this point. I'm not thrilled with being stuck in the same position again: Trying to sort out who is the lesser of two evils. I may actually have the option to vote for Johnson since I live in Illinois. Obama won't lose this state in a million years because the Chicago vote is the only vote that matters (kinda like New York). If I vote for Johnson or write in Paul, it changes nothing.

In a very big way I want to see the Ron Paul and Libertarian elements within the GOP push Romney to be more ... well ... sane.

One of my bigger concerns is the possibility that Romney loses because of votes siphoned away from him by Gary Johnson. If Mitt Romney is very, very smart he will take decisive action to court the Ron Paul vote. I just don't think he can or will. I'd feel a lot better about Romney if he was pounding the pulpit loudly for a Balanced Budget Amendment. I'd love to hear more specifics about where he's going to cut costs and reduce the size of government. I don't expect Mitt to be Ron Paul, but I also don't think he will continue to recklessly spend like Obama and Bush were. I think he gets that Americans are fed up with the epicly stupid spending spree we've been on. But without more specifics, I don't know how serious he is about making the necessary changes. I definitely don't see him as a "going from bad to worse" choice. I view him as a "better by increments" type. The worst possible outcome this year would be Obama winning. More than anything else, I'm committed to stopping that from happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 04:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I just want better options at this point. I'm not thrilled with being stuck in the same position again: Trying to sort out who is the lesser of two evils. I may actually have the option to vote for Johnson since I live in Illinois. Obama won't lose this state in a million years because the Chicago vote is the only vote that matters (kinda like New York). If I vote for Johnson or write in Paul, it changes nothing.

In a very big way I want to see the Ron Paul and Libertarian elements within the GOP push Romney to be more ... well ... sane.

One of my bigger concerns is the possibility that Romney loses because of votes siphoned away from him by Gary Johnson. If Mitt Romney is very, very smart he will take decisive action to court the Ron Paul vote. I just don't think he can or will. I'd feel a lot better about Romney if he was pounding the pulpit loudly for a Balanced Budget Amendment. I'd love to hear more specifics about where he's going to cut costs and reduce the size of government. I don't expect Mitt to be Ron Paul, but I also don't think he will continue to recklessly spend like Obama and Bush were. I think he gets that Americans are fed up with the epicly stupid spending spree we've been on. But without more specifics, I don't know how serious he is about making the necessary changes. I definitely don't see him as a "going from bad to worse" choice. I view him as a "better by increments" type. The worst possible outcome this year would be Obama winning. More than anything else, I'm committed to stopping that from happening.
you are thinkingt this trough like an intelligent adult and not going to throw your vote away. I understand the libertarians wanting to support Johnson. On the other hand, in my many years of voting I don't think I have ever wanted to see a sitting Pres get ousted as bad as I want it to happen this time. When I see some of the things he has done in the past few months it scares me to death. I can't imagine what will happen if he is re-elcected and doesn't have to worry about another election in 2016.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
He advertises (to Republicans) as more fiscally conservative than Mitt Romney, & (to Democrats) as more socially liberal than Barack Obama. Plus he doesn't favor any one group over another. And he doesn't keep his positions on some issues a secret, or change positions on other issues just to get votes.

He's been for cannabis re-legalization since 1999. It helped his pain in near death 50' fall. Barack Obama says legalize pot #1 request to WH, but US attys under Obama were arresting sick in medical programs, even though BO admitted past use. Mitt Romney would likely be that way, too-refuses to discuss!

Medical plans: Obama & Romney similar forced Federal plans. Gary Johnson: block grants to states could be like 50 laboratories to see what works best. Not sure what most want for health care.

As for if he'll get more Republican or Democratic voters, I'm not at all sure. Reps & Dems seem so similar on most issues, while Gary is let's restore Constitution for all. The main thing that keeps Gary J. low in the polls is MSM has kept him unknown to many. When he gets up to 15% in polls, they will have to let him participate in the debates again (he's been in 2). He has internet town hall that voters can RSVP to get in. Very relaxed discussion, whatever he's asked, he answers. He's been on 3 cable shows in 1 week.
There is absolutely no way he can win or even come close. I understand your feelings and I respect them, but it just simply isn't going to happen.

BTW, we are not really sure what Romney is thinking when it comes to health care. I wish I had a clearer picture. I do know he says he will overturn Obamacare. I am taking him at his word. what else can I say?

Old 06-17-2012, 05:06 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
Default No, Obama infinitely better

I'm overwhelmingly content with the great President that we have now, President Barack Obama. Gary Johnson, like Mitt Romney, doesn't belong in the same conversation with Obama. Obama far and away superior in every way.

Gary Johnson has about as much chance of being President as Keyshawn Johnson.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:22 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,667,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Depending on what state you live in thats not necessarily true.If you live in one of the many states that will definately go to Romney it wouldn't matter since Romney will get the electoral votes...if you live in a swing state i would agree with you.
I'm looking at the country as a whole.

Ross Perot got us Clinton. Ron Paul got us Obama.

Shameful.

I could sort of understand people going off the reservation and voting for Perot. That kind of presidential voting was unique and made a statement. Apparently, by the time Obama/Paul came along, people had either forgotten the result of voting that way or they just plain didn't see Obama for the hideous candidate he was. They claimed to be all about voting their conscience, which is pure nonsense because one votes for the good of the country instead of a 'toke'n mental lapse.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:36 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,766 times
On the subject of hideous candidates,Ralph Nader got us Dubya.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:26 AM

92 posts, read 56,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

Shameful.

I could sort of understand people going off the reservation and voting for Perot. That kind of presidential voting was unique and made a statement. Apparently, by the time Obama/Paul came along, people had either forgotten the result of voting that way or they just plain didn't see Obama for the hideous candidate he was. They claimed to be all about voting their conscience, which is pure nonsense because one votes for the good of the country instead of a 'toke'n mental lapse.
Yep. All 44k votes for RP in 2008 caused McCain to lose to Obama...what an idiotic statement.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:07 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

One of my bigger concerns is the possibility that Romney loses because of votes siphoned away from him by Gary Johnson.

I don't expect Mitt to be Ron Paul, but I also don't think he will continue to recklessly spend like Obama and Bush were. I think he gets that Americans are fed up
Well, I can tell you ahead of time, I will not be apologizing for that one....and I am truly hoping you are right on the second

For all those folks who want to try to blame Libertarian and/or Paul voters if there is a 2nd term for Obama - I have consolation of sorts - Many 2008 Obama supporters feel exactly as you do and are not folks who will
be coming our way - damn it A little birdie told me, they WILL BE voting for Romney

I'd love to say, "May the best man win", but I know who he is, and I know he won't, so I'll just say,
2016 should be very interesting in deed....

Old 06-17-2012, 11:15 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

Shameful.

You should be far more concerned with issues such as electronic machines and election fraud than telling people who vote their conscience that they elected the wrong man. Bush was seriously heinous, as well.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:48 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
16: Many Ron Paulites will vote for him, if they want to vote for someone on ballot. He can win if all the people who like him vote for him. He'll take votes from Obama & Romney, plus get more to polls.
17: Maybe 50% don't know his name or issues positions yet. Most will before November.. Of those in poll who studied his positions, about half said they liked all or most positions.

Well I like your optimism and I like Johnson personally but I doubt he will win any states much less enough of them to win the whitehouse.I'd be happy to be wrong though,goodluck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections