Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:51 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,741,193 times

Advertisements

Baptizing the dead of other faiths to turn them into Mormons has long been a practice of Mormons. Romney is no stranger to this either.

Romney Admits to Baptizing Dead Jews!? - Francois Arouet - Open Salon

Old 06-20-2012, 11:58 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,508,619 times
As a leader of his religious cult ("cult" as many Americans define what the LDS is) I don't doubt Romney has done things in furtherance of his beliefs which will trouble the average adult in the USA. That's one of the not often talked about challenges he faces in his campaign. How to overcome the public perception of what that group (the LDS) is and stands for. I posted a discussion about it several months ago.

Last edited by gomexico; 06-20-2012 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-20-2012, 12:20 PM

68,352 posts, read 54,513,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
As a leader of his religious cult ("cult" as many Americans define what the LDS is) I don't doubt Romney has done things in furtherance of his beliefs which will trouble the average adult in the USA. That's one of the not often talked about challenges he faces in his campaign. How to overcome the public perception of what that group (the LDS) is and stands for. I posted a discussion about it several months ago.
This type of act would seem to go beyond 'perception'.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:41 PM

20,495 posts, read 12,419,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Baptizing the dead of other faiths to turn them into Mormons has long been a practice of Mormons. Romney is no stranger to this either.

Romney Admits to Baptizing Dead Jews!? - Francois Arouet - Open Salon
So what you are saying is:

1. There is no direct information that Mitt baptized Jews.
2. At some point, Mitt complied with the faith of his fathers and practiced a private religious rite.
3. This took place before any contraversy came to light regarding the baptism of Jews.
4. Liberals are lying again.

when do you guys not lie?

Old 06-20-2012, 12:54 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,340,810 times
Romney already has a history of choosing service to his religion over service to his country. If Mitt is elected it might not be long until they hold these baptisms in the Capitol Reflecting Pool and the national cathedral is converted to a Mormon temple.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

According to the article: "When asked by Newsweek if he has done baptisms for the dead—in which Mormons find the names of dead people of all faiths and baptize them, as an LDS representative says, to “open the door” to the highest heaven—he looked slightly startled and answered, “I have in my life, but I haven’t recently.”

You have something disproving that or is direct from Romney somehow not direct enough?

Old 06-20-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
According to the article: "When asked by Newsweek if he has done baptisms for the dead—in which Mormons find the names of dead people of all faiths and baptize them, as an LDS representative says, to “open the door” to the highest heaven—he looked slightly startled and answered, “I have in my life, but I haven’t recently.”

You have something disproving that or is direct from Romney somehow not direct enough?

No. your quote proves my point.

All that statemnet says is that at some point in Mitts life, some time before the interview (wasnt that back in 2008 or is it new?) Mitt was involved in baptism of the dead.

There is no evidence that Mitt was involved in baptisms for dead people of Jewish persuasion. It is possible. It certainly is not known from the article. It is not known from Mitt's answer to the question he was asked.

If the title of the thread were "Romney admits to baptizing dead People then it would be truthful.

Romeny did not (according to the article that you quote above) admit to baptizing "Dead Jews".

Tell the truth burdell

Old 06-20-2012, 01:15 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,472,373 times
Quote:

2. At some point, Mitt complied with the faith of his fathers and practiced a private religious rite.
3. This took place before any contraversy came to light regarding the baptism of Jews.
4. Liberals are lying again.

when do you guys not lie?
It comes quite natural, for them all, it is in their blood?

The only people in cults, are those idiots who beleive everything they hear as fact. I know many fine hard working Mormons, none of them are in cults, and none i know are hypocrites as Christians or those who claim to be Christin are.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 PM

I would also add that the question asked was "have you been involved in baptisms for the dead?"

There is no indication that the Newsweek reporter clairified with Romeny that he meant "for all faiths" and that the term "for all faiths" actually mean Jewish people.

The clarification "-in which Mormons find the names of dead people of all faiths and baptize them, as an LDS representative says, to “open the door” to the highest heaven—"

is added after the fact and unrelated to the interview. it is background for the reader. even then it does not state "Jew"

Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
No. your quote proves my point.

All that statemnet says is that at some point in Mitts life, some time before the interview (wasnt that back in 2008 or is it new?) Mitt was involved in baptism of the dead.

There is no evidence that Mitt was involved in baptisms for dead people of Jewish persuasion. It is possible. It certainly is not known from the article. It is not known from Mitt's answer to the question he was asked.
WHAT part of ALL FAITHS, as stated in the article, are you unable to understand?

Quote:
If the title of the thread were "Romney admits to baptizing dead People then it would be truthful.

Romeny did not (according to the article that you quote above) admit to baptizing "Dead Jews".

Tell the truth burdell
Truth? According to the article, ALL FAITHS was part of the question.

You apparently wouldn't recognize the truth if it bit you in the arse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections