Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 03:33 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,332,294 times

Advertisements

Actually...for a New Yorker, I think Rudy is pretty cool...When he was Mayor, two of my friends lived in the same apartment building with him and often rode the same elevator.
One asked him to take care of a parking ticket and he wouldn't do it for her. She fought it for 3 years and eventually took it through the courts on appeal. It ended up on his desk...it was then he threw it out.
That's leadership to me...he didn't muddle with it until he was authorized to do so. That's a person who will delegate authority and manage. If he makes the ticket, I'll vote for him.
Being President of the United States is a taxing job. It is not for the weak kneed traveler who expects to slop at the biggest public trough. It takes someone with responsibility and a sense of being able to protect an entire country.

I want a person who will fight the wars on other turf and will only feel a slight recoil when the enemy falls dead.
I only hope that Rudy can take GWB's place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 03:33 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,147,629 times
Very astute observation. I saw a recent interview with Norman Poderhertz and was chilled to the bone on a sunny day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post

What concerns me the most is the fact that his campaign foreign policy advisers are guys like Norman Podhoretz, who were DRASTICALLY wrong on issues like Iraq. He has surrounded himself with neocons, at a time when neoconservatism has proven itself quite disastrous.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:55 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,068,642 times
Bratton did far more to clean up New York than Giuliani. Giuliani subcribes to the "broken windows" school of criminology, which is considered a bit dubious now days in effectiveness. It's only marginally useful.

In addition, New York benefitted from the economic expansion of the 90's, and the fading of the crack epidemic. Now days, alot of the energy that fuelled that epidemic is being channeled southward- Florida is a good example. There are simply cheaper places for criminals to operate now days, and with less competent police. Florida's problems, for instance, stem from a do-nothing state and local government that refuses to hire more cops and invest in technologies to fight crime. Plus we're a mostly red state and don't have all that many abortion clinics, which is one thing that has been asserted to reduce crime, and backed up with statistics (Freakanomics is a good reference on this, but others, including police chiefs, have said as much- unwanted babies grow up to be criminals).

Old 11-03-2007, 07:11 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,269,017 times
IMHO Freakonomics was spot on in their assessment of the real estate industry. I'll have to review the section on crime. How much of the reduction in crime in New York was due to Clinton's adding 100,000 to the police force in the U.S. ? Did Rudy benefit from Clinton's policy?

Old 11-04-2007, 12:16 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,126,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
What concerns me the most is the fact that his campaign foreign policy advisers are guys like Norman Podhoretz, who were DRASTICALLY wrong on issues like Iraq. He has surrounded himself with neocons, at a time when neoconservatism has proven itself quite disastrous.
Even if I agreed with Rudy on everything else, the fact that he has a lunatic like Podhoretz on his staff as a foreign policy advisor would prevent me from ever voting for him.

Anyone who buys into the "we've been at war with Iran since 1979" BS is too stupid to do anything but play with army guys in a sandbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections