Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 09:44 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,205,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Anderson Cooper? Uh, yea, he's not biased at all.

More unnamed, phantom sources. Treading on pretty slippery ground here. and Romney isn't playing the game. He hasn't fallen for anything. Good for him.
Yeah I think it's likely someone Reid knows helping with the bluff. But still, it keeps the story floating when it should've died a couple weeks ago. Romney is getting played though- he responded to Reid when he should've just ignored him. That's amateur hour.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:47 AM

8,911 posts, read 5,408,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Really? Another version of the same story?

Mittens said the dog lived with them for many years (presumably after another trip home on the roof of the car), one of his sons has said the dog ran away while they were in Canada, and this is the first I have heard that Seamus "lived out his life" with a Romney relative.
Not the way I heard it ....... a "reliable source" said that one of his sons said the dog ran away while they were in Canada? Oddly, we don't have an actual name for the son who someone said the dog ran away.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:47 AM
F40

826 posts, read 860,357 times
I wonder if Joe Biden has told the President What Big EFFIN deal this is ? I think Obama could engage the cruise control from now to the election Stick a fork in Romney. He's done.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:00 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,493,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F40 View Post
This is not going away. Now I can't wait for the Republican convention, It's gonna be a dozzie
Yup, Reid's claim would quickly explain a lot of things. It's the principle of Occam's Razor, the line of reasoning that basically says, the simplest answer is usually the correct one. Or as Sherlock Holmes would say, “When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Like the story about Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson out on a camping trip. It’s the middle of the night and Holmes wakes up Watson.
“Watson! Wake up, man!”
“Huh? What?”
“I just woke up and noticed the bright starry universe above me and do you know what I’ve deduced?”
”That we are all just minor players in a larger drama that we’ll never know the outcome of?”
“No.”
“That the universe is too big and too grand for the human mind to ever fully comprehend?”
“No, no.”
“Well then…what have you deduced from looking at the starry sky above us, Holmes?”
“It's rather obvious, Watson – someone has stolen our tent.”

“And what's also rather obvious, Watson – is that Mitt hasn't been paying any taxes!”

Old 08-03-2012, 10:51 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,597,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
That's not really how private equity works.

Now, the person saying those things you said; that'd be coming from the financial adviser Romney used for his tax shelters. PE firms like Bain don't solicit outside investors. They buy out privately held companies by incurring insane debt ratios then put the debt on the company's books while raking in management fees and any profits either from operations or selling off the company. More often than not they buy out competitors to currently held properties and cannibalize them for their customer base/clients. Though to be fair most midsize companies which control more than 20-30% of their market operate in that fashion these days.

I'm pretty sure Bain offers other investment opportunities in addition to PE.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:49 AM

17,411 posts, read 12,028,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
That's not really how private equity works.

Now, the person saying those things you said; that'd be coming from the financial adviser Romney used for his tax shelters. PE firms like Bain don't solicit outside investors. They buy out privately held companies by incurring insane debt ratios then put the debt on the company's books while raking in management fees and any profits either from operations or selling off the company. More often than not they buy out competitors to currently held properties and cannibalize them for their customer base/clients. Though to be fair most midsize companies which control more than 20-30% of their market operate in that fashion these days.
Now we're making up complete conversations? It really is a mental disorder...........

Old 08-03-2012, 02:21 PM

57,404 posts, read 26,417,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I know it looks manufactured, especially to the rabid Obama haters. But they're beyond rationality in any case.

Stop and consider for a moment what Romney was doing at Bain a few years ago and the whole thing becomes plausible. Romney was selling Bain' services to big investors. He was in regular contact with wealthy folks who had a lot of money to put somewhere and they were looking for advantageous investments. Some of them probably were interested in tax shelters. It's not much of a stretch to imagine Romney telling a potential client something like, "We have some very solid tax-free funds. I have a lot of my own assets in them and I haven't had to pay any taxes for years. And it's all legal and above board."

These are Romney's personal accounts, if someone wants a fund in the islands they don't need Romney to find one, plenty available.

Reid is on a fishing expedition but there may be something, this is a liability for Romney, the longer he waits the bigger it becomes.

Fox news made a comment "don't these news channels get a 2nd source to verify their information", they were right of course but I think they are talking to themselves.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:40 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,348,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Why won't Romney just release it then if he has them? It is no biggie. Just show it and everyone will shut up.

No they wont.

Liberals cannot find anything bad and are looking for something to stick.

If he releases it they will be all over it and of course deflect the failures of team Obama to Romney paying his 50% in taxes.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,493,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
These are Romney's personal accounts, if someone wants a fund in the islands they don't need Romney to find one, plenty available.

Reid is on a fishing expedition but there may be something, this is a liability for Romney, the longer he waits the bigger it becomes.

Fox news made a comment "don't these news channels get a 2nd source to verify their information", they were right of course but I think they are talking to themselves.
Funny, it never stopped them before!

Fox, CNN jump the gun on Supreme Court health care decision - The Washington Post

Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,558,469 times
GOP-style politics played AT the GOP... no wonder they are clueless how to react. This is straight up Rove-style scab-picking political war

I'm actually stunned the Dems have it in 'em to play tough. I guess Obama has a spine after all.

I said it weeks ago... and its only gotten hotter since: Romney's taxes will be his Gary Hart moment. I'm starting to wonder if he'll make it to Tampa at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections