Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:50 PM
F40

826 posts, read 858,502 times

Advertisements

I think Romney should go for a hail mary at this point. Probobly why he hasn't announced his VP yet. I think they are scrambling to find someone else who will shake things up like Palin did in 2008. I would go full crazy at this point and take ALLEN WEST. He has nothing to lose at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,616,752 times
Big difference is the 4 states that have flipped due to immigration and changing ideologies....

Colorado, Virginia, New Mexico, and Nevada... All went for Bush and now will go for Obama...

Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,438,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Big difference is the 4 states that have flipped due to immigration and changing ideologies....

Colorado, Virginia, New Mexico, and Nevada... All went for Bush and now will go for Obama...
Doubtful except for New Mexico. Romney is up in Colorado tied in Virginia and Nevada with its heavy Mormon population maybe a surprise. See you November.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:50 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,266,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Doubtful except for New Mexico. Romney is up in Colorado tied in Virginia and Nevada with its heavy Mormon population maybe a surprise.
lolwut?

According to RCP, which appears to be your preferred polling aggregator:

Colorado: Obama +1.2
Virginia: Obama +3.2
Nevada: Obama +5.3

Of course, if the polling holds, none of those states actually matter because Romney is also losing FL and OH. Romney is polling ahead in exactly two states that Obama won in 2008: Indiana, which he should win easily, and NC, where he's up by 1.0 -- a slimmer margin even than Colorado.

You can certainly hope that your guy will turn it around, but it's very clear that he needs to turn it around.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 PM

22,205 posts, read 19,494,856 times
Quote:
Doubtful except for New Mexico. Romney is up in Colorado tied in Virginia and Nevada with its heavy Mormon population maybe a surprise. See you November.
Romney is up in one poll in Colorado, most polls there have Obama ahead, everything in Virginia has Obama ahead, everything in Nevada has Obama ahead...

Old 08-09-2012, 09:02 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,819,165 times
Quote:
I don't do polls until a couple of weeks after the last convention, so that's usually mid September or so. By then almost all the voters are actually paying attention, and as a general rule things change too fast in politics. Plus the Super PACs have yet to release the full fury of what is sure to be the mother of all negative ad campaigns on both sdes. I expect every dirty trick in the book to be pulled between now and then. On top of all that the economy is a HUGE wildcard.

That said, dude is not polling well at the moment. It just is what it is. I think he should take it as a sign he needs to rethink his current strategies. I'm sure they are doing just that in Camp Romney. Lord knows he'll have enough money.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I don't do polls until a couple of weeks after the last convention, so that's usually mid September or so. By then almost all the voters are actually paying attention, and as a general rule things change too fast in politics. Plus the Super PACs have yet to release the full fury of what is sure to be the mother of all negative ad campaigns on both sdes. I expect every dirty trick in the book to be pulled between now and then. On top of all that the economy is a HUGE wildcard.

That said, dude is not polling well at the moment. It just is what it is. I think he should take it as a sign he needs to rethink his current strategies. I'm sure they are doing just that in Camp Romney. Lord knows he'll have enough money.
I agree but nothing radical. Bush was down in 04 at this point. I think Romney will be fine the demos are in his favor.

Let's remember Obama has thrown the kitchen sink at Romney and he is still around. Obamas goal was to end the election by September to avoid any surprises. He has failed Romney now enters the home stretch with the money advantage.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Romney is up in one poll in Colorado, most polls there have Obama ahead, everything in Virginia has Obama ahead, everything in Nevada has Obama ahead...
Yup and polls had Dewey winning in '48. Polls in August are nice talking points for folks like us but mean nothing in November. Especially when Obama is broke in September and October.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:06 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,223,587 times
Quote:
Yup and polls had Dewey winning in '48. Polls in August are nice talking points for folks like us but mean nothing in November. Especially when Obama is broke in September and October.
If Obama wins Pennsylvania and Ohio, everything else will be cushion. Those two states and the states that typically go Democrat will be more than enough to give Obama enough electoral votes.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
lolwut?

According to RCP, which appears to be your preferred polling aggregator:

Colorado: Obama +1.2
Virginia: Obama +3.2
Nevada: Obama +5.3

Of course, if the polling holds, none of those states actually matter because Romney is also losing FL and OH. Romney is polling ahead in exactly two states that Obama won in 2008: Indiana, which he should win easily, and NC, where he's up by 1.0 -- a slimmer margin even than Colorado.

You can certainly hope that your guy will turn it around, but it's very clear that he needs to turn it around.
So within the ME in CO and VA. I think Romney wins CO. Hispanics are a lousy group to pin electoral hopes on they have poor turnout records. I actually think Obama has a better shot in VA he starts off with a 20 point head start thanks to Blacks.

I predict Romney wins Nevada thanks to Mormons and again poor Hispanic turnout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections