Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:40 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times

Advertisements

I was just talking with my Mom yesterday. Salt of the Earth woman, hardworking, generous, and very religious. She always votes GOP on values issues, and even liked W. Anyhow, she said she is likely to vote Obama this year, because she does not buy the notion that the recession is his fault. And she does not trust the corporate tools that helped to cause it. She does like the notion that the GOP will repeal the Affordable Care Act either. I was pretty shocked to hear this, as we have not talked politics in years.

We did agree that both the Obamas and the Romneys seem like good families who bring (or would bring) honor to the office on a personal level. Both guys love their families, and their wives ares stong, impressive women that love their husbands. We left it at that.

Oh, we were just taking the kid/grandkids fishing at a nice lake nearby. She is visiting on vacation. Leaving today (long face..). So nice to be with family. To my politico comrades of all persuasions, take time to be with the people you love, that is what matters, we can argue politics later....

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 08-13-2012 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,822,590 times
My mother is rather similar. She is a values voter and usually super conservative. Loved W (until Iraq, when she could only like him a little bit). She was absolutely not going to vote for Obama, and I mean never. However, she was just not having any of this Mitt Romney character, and I'm talking from months ago, not because of Obama's ads. Her reasoning? "How could a man who has never had a real boss or a real job a day in his life possibly understand what it's like to be a poor person, or a middle class person? How could he know what America needs?" GOP VOTER'S WORDS, not mine! More recently, the idea of changing Medicare has basically eliminated Mitt Romney's name from the household. It's not even under consideration.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Interesting stories, and you gotta wonder about the number of similar folks all across the country, whose choices are often much more quiet and reserved, but just as heartfelt and important, as those of us who pay a lot more "attention" to "politics"!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:12 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Lol, wife's sister in laws parents are much the same. In their 80's and still going to Church every week. On top of that, they are both a bit racist and it isn't unusual to hear the n word from either of them when we visit their home. I was talking to him after the last election. He offered up that he never imagined that he would ever vote for a f'ing n***er. I asked, 'you voted for Obama?' 'yep, sure did, had no other choice'.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
I really hate to interrupt the chorus' of kumbaya and all of the anecdotal stories about your dear old mother, or uncle, who are, of course stereotypically conservative, but are supporting Obama.

Nice soft sell approach, but it's A CROCK. Could it be the dreadful, nasty, deceitful hardsell is not polling well? That word has come from Chicago to try a different approach?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:06 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,739 times
Well, I am a FEMALE, SENIOR CITIZEN who is absolute pumped about Romney's choice of Ryan as VP candidate. I am glad that the republicans will offer an option of a successful business man and an economic policy wonk who is offering up a plan to fix Medicare, as opposed to the democrats who offer up a $700+ Billion cut to Medicare to fund expansion of Medicaid. Great job!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:08 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
You go girl!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
Well, I am a FEMALE, SENIOR CITIZEN who is absolute pumped about Romney's choice of Ryan as VP candidate. I am glad that the republicans will offer an option of a successful business man and an economic policy wonk who is offering up a plan to fix Medicare, as opposed to the democrats who offer up a $700+ Billion cut to Medicare to fund expansion of Medicaid. Great job!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I really hate to interrupt the chorus' of kumbaya and all of the anecdotal stories about your dear old mother, or uncle, who are, of course stereotypically conservative, but are supporting Obama.

Nice soft sell approach, but it's A CROCK. Could it be the dreadful, nasty, deceitful hardsell is not polling well? That word has come from Chicago to try a different approach?
Right, even if true nobody believes stories like this and I have no idea why anyone thinks they are somehow important.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:53 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post

You can believe it or not. Your choice. I heard it yesterday, and I was very surprised. For my mother to turn away from the GOP, your folks must have screwed up big time. If you think that is a lie, go ahead. I really don't care. I am just sharing that among traditional conservatives that are not addicted to the right wing propaganda, there seems to be some weakness, and the wise would recognize that.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:19 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
You can believe it or not. Your choice. I heard it yesterday, and I was very surprised. For my mother to turn away from the GOP, your folks must have screwed up big time. If you think that is a lie, go ahead. I really don't care. I am just sharing that among traditional conservatives that are not addicted to the right wing propaganda, there seems to be some weakness, and the wise would recognize that.
Maybe her, and other like her, are just bone tired of the grief they get from their liberal children. They tell them a made-up tale of how they're going to vote for Obama, then share with their bridge buddies how gullible those kids of theirs are.

I think many folks are going to lie about who they're voting for. They say they'll vote for Obama, to save face with their liberal friends or to avoid confrontation from their intolerant liberal family members. Then they'll either really vote for Romney or not vote at all. Bottom line, the economy matters. And we've all seen what Obama's done with the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections