Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 04:42 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
And that's a bad thing?

Personally, I'd be handing out the patch and have vasectomy stands everywhere,
not just the inner city.

And, I really would like to see this statement become the norm:

"Sure, kids will have sex, but if you get pregnant don't expect a welfare check"

FYI, Ann also worked with the Olympic Aid charity, which provides athletic activities
and programs for children in war-torn regions. Maybe Ann will have some influence
over Mitt's war monger policies... If Romney wins, I'm hoping he is a flip flopper on
that front. Unlike O'bomb a.
Jeez, don't you ever take anything at face value? Where in my post did I remotely say anything bad about Ann Romney's working with an advocacy group to teach inner city girls to just say no to sex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 04:48 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,505,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I do not think anyone should fault Ann or her family for being successful. That should not be the point of anything. Congrats to them.

The problem that comes with being rich(filthy rich in their case) is trying to relate to the common person's problem. She can't do it at all. There is no way. Their problems are always going to be different compared to the average person's problem.

For example, I know you all heard about Mitt's thinking about putting an elevator in the house to help his wife move about the house. Then mentioning putting an elevator in the new house he is having built now. When someone has multiple sclerosis, most of the time, their options are not...lets install an elevator to help you around the house.

Embrace your wealth and help others. Don't pretend that you are not rich.

Makes no sense.

Since when? You never saw those commercials on TV with the stair machine or the hover around for outside? It's all covered by ones insurance or free if you are on Medicaid.

My MIL, who was on Medicaid, was given a hover around. She was scared of it so she wanted it sent back but they would not come to get it. Medicaid fraud, the salesman needed the quota or his next months allowance would not be as big and he would need to send back the tax payers money----you know, yours and mine. My hubby finally said he would contact the attorney general for medicaid fraud so they finally came and took it back.

I wonder how many of those machines are just sitting gathering dust and we pay for it. At least the Romney's pay for things they have.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:51 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post

Like she said in her convention speech...

Those fairy tell stories don't include struggles with MS, or breast cancer. There is no choice there.
I actually liked this from her speech the best:

"And let's be honest. If the last four years had been more successful,
do we really think there would be this attack on Mitt Romney's success?
Of course not"

Reminds me of my brother, watching Robin Leach's "Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous"
while unemployed. Muttering how he hated those people....
But, once he got back on his feet and got his riches, he was Ad nauseam with his "new toys"

Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,505,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I actually liked this from her speech the best:

"And let's be honest. If the last four years had been more successful,
do we really think there would be this attack on Mitt Romney's success?
Of course not"

Reminds me of my brother, watching Robin Leach's "Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous"
while unemployed. Muttering how he hated those people....
But, once he got back on his feet and got his riches, he was Ad nauseam with his "new toys"
Yes, I want most of us to get back on our feet so we can be the same way. I want to be like the Romneys but so many won't under Obama's economy. Isn't it the American dream to be successful or have we replaced it with a welfare dream?

Old 08-29-2012, 05:05 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times
i don't know what the problem is with liberals that they feel that they have to "go after" anyone who achieves anything.

i don't know if it is envy, or an excuse to justify "wealth redistribution"--with the attitude of "they didn't earn it really, so they aren't entitled to it". (so let's take it away from them).

my question is if you didn't earn it, then why are you entitled to it?

i liked ann romney's speech, which was positive, and chris christie's speech, which was positive, and mia love's speech, which was positive.

yes, we can fix it and yes we can build it-and we can do it together as a country.

Last edited by floridasandy; 08-29-2012 at 05:13 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 05:07 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post

Did you hear the part of her speech where she said Mitt had created a foundation that pays 100% tuition for students in the top 25%? The only advantage Romney had over some other people was that he didn't have to pay for his education. So he created a foundation that GAVE that same advantage to the top 25% of graduates. Everything else, he did on his own. So I guess even though he's rich, he wants to see others reach those same goals. Guess that's a bad thing, huh?
He created what's called the "Adams Scholarship" where tuition is waived at state colleges for students who score "Advanced" on the state assesment exam. I believe my daughter's graduating class were the first it applied to. Anyway, she passed on her award and went school in another state. The Romney's do not fund it.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:10 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Jeez, don't you ever take anything at face value?
NO

I guess every time I see the word celibacy I'm assuming folks think it's a ridiculous notion.
I say - got to start somewhere I apologize for my knee jerk response

Old 08-29-2012, 05:10 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,251,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Personally, the wealth isn't worth the cancer and MS.
Yes, but if you're going to get a catastrophic disease, it must be nice to be fortunate enough to be able to afford the best treatment that money can buy.

How many other women with cancer or MS or some other disease get to have first class treatment and not have to worry about jumping through the hoops the insurance companies make us "regular" folks jump through - if they are lucky enough to have insurance at all.

How many women get to have dancing horses and claim they are a necessary part of their MS treatment?

How many women with breast cancer will DIE because they couldn't afford treatment AT ALL?

Seriously.....I have zero sympathy for her and a lot of that has to do with how she comes across - as just another smug and arrogant rich ***** with the same attitude of entitlement her husband has ("It's our turn!").

And her lame attempts at trying to present themselves just like any other struggling young marrieds just makes me detest her even more. Do they really think people are that stupid???

Old 08-29-2012, 05:15 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,251,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I guess you missed the interview where she stated they DID NOT have domestic help and that while she was ill, Mitt did the shopping and cooking.

Did you hear the part of her speech where she said Mitt had created a foundation that pays 100% tuition for students in the top 25%?
Just because they say something doesn't mean it's the truth.

They're both bald-faced liars.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:16 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,910,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Yes, but if you're going to get a catastrophic disease, it must be nice to be fortunate enough to be able to afford the best treatment that money can buy.

How many other women with cancer or MS or some other disease get to have first class treatment and not have to worry about jumping through the hoops the insurance companies make us "regular" folks jump through - if they are lucky enough to have insurance at all.

How many women get to have dancing horses and claim they are a necessary part of their MS treatment?

How many women with breast cancer will DIE because they couldn't afford treatment AT ALL?

Seriously.....I have zero sympathy for her and a lot of that has to do with how she comes across - as just another smug and arrogant rich ***** with the same attitude of entitlement her husband has ("It's our turn!").

And her lame attempts at trying to present themselves just like any other struggling young marrieds just makes me detest her even more. Do they really think people are that stupid???
she wasn't asking for your sympathy, of which you seem to be in short supply.

what she was saying was that everyone has struggles in life-rich, poor, and in-between, and life isn't a fairy tale for anybody.

it's interesting that ann romney understands that money isn't everything, while some people do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections