Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:31 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
This post is a whole lot of nonsense.
Democrats own videos played during their convention validates the OP's statement

DNC Video: "The Government Is The Only Thing We All Belong To" - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 10:30 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,154,814 times
I watched most of the convention and all of the keynote speeches...never heard what you heard...or should I say, interpreted the way you have, but that is mostly because you are following the porpoganda playbook as opposed to understanding what the "United" means in the United States of America. Shared sacrifice, not dismantling the middle class for the sake of a few.

It's strange that Elizabeth Warren is all about protecting the consumer and you find that contradictory to what is fair and just. Very strange.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:37 AM

172 posts, read 267,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Democrats own videos played during their convention validates the OP's statement

DNC Video: "The Government Is The Only Thing We All Belong To" - YouTube
Wow. Just wow. I'm glad that Obama and the Democrats are finally admitting, that they are big government, anti business communists.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:58 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,616,169 times
Search function: https://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...-thing-we.html

Old 09-08-2012, 11:17 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,338,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I watched most of the convention and all of the keynote speeches...never heard what you heard...or should I say, interpreted the way you have, but that is mostly because you are following the porpoganda playbook as opposed to understanding what the "United" means in the United States of America. Shared sacrifice, not dismantling the middle class for the sake of a few.
"United" States, does not mean "shared sacrifice!" Where in the world do you come up with that?

It means we are sovereign States, united as one country, under a Constitution and Federal Government that was established for the purpose of "establish[ing] justice, to insure domestic tranquility, to provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare (which means "general well being," really — it doesn't have anything to do with our welfare system or charity), and to secure the blessings of liberty."

We have never strived to be a "classless" society (all middle class). That idea is in none of our founding principles. We are a nation of equal opportunity, not equal outcome.

Quote:
It's strange that Elizabeth Warren is all about protecting the consumer and you find that contradictory to what is fair and just. Very strange.
I have never heard Elizabeth Warren speak about protecting the consumer, only her collectivist rants against businesses, charging that they are not "giving back" to the community that she claims made them rich, and implying that they do not pay for the infrastructure that they use. All that is baloney, because they pay state and local taxes, and when they ship their goods, they pay the freight fees, which include more taxes (highway taxes that trucking companies pay, port fees, etc, which are all included in the shipping charges).

These phony arguments are all just collectivist B.S. to gin up class envy, hatred for businesses (especially corporations — which very well might be small family owned businesses, not necessarily large corporations). This kind of crap is intended to suck people like you in! They count on you eating it up!

Virtually all the businesses I have worked for in years past, (small corporations under 400 employees) were started by one or two individuals in a garage! Smart individuals who were electronic engineers. They designed and built a product that they thought there was a market for, and they were right. One such company was started by one man, who developed an underwater TV camera. The company grew and expanded out of the garage, and soon developed a wellhead inspection system. That grew into development of two remote controlled vehicles on a tether cable (RCV-225 and RCV-150). These were used primarily in the offshore drilling and commercial diving industry.

Another company started to build dynamic balancing equipment for aircraft engines. This led to vibration analysis equipment for machinery for early detection of problems requiring maintenance.

These were all good people, and they ran their companies well, and they paid fair wages. I never heard anyone complain about their pay, and when there were job openings, it was their policy to promote people from within, if possible.

These are the kind of businesses that people like Elizabeth Warren rail against and insult.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:15 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,696,157 times
Quote:

If you listen to ms. warren unfiltered, she is all about eliminating the consumer and restraining trade all together, certainly not protecting them.

I always wonder why dems are on this old saw of "shared sacrifice". Sacrifice for what? Why sacrifice, why not prosperity instead?

We've already sacrificed for everyone under the obama regime and all his regulations and taxes that have already happened and that are coming down the pike. $6 Trillion more in debt, 2.5 million fewer jobs than in Jan 2009 and a completely strangled economy. My health insurance costs in 4 years crept up to the point of doubling, gas has doubled in cost, housing is still expensive compared to wages and so on. We've been bled dry and we don't have anything left to give.

United doesn't mean we live in a fiefdom, monarchy, plantation or totalitarian regime. The government works for us, we don't work for it and people need to rewire their brain and get out of this thinking they are brain dead serfs looking to their idols like some cult for all of the world's wisdom and knowledge and for all of it's goodies. People in government are like anyone else, they are all fallible and are no smarter than many of us. The government is funded by us and citizens are elected to positions.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:27 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,696,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

These are the kind of businesses that people like Elizabeth Warren rail against and insult.
That is because people like Native American Chieftain ms. warren have been living in a fairy tale land cloistered in a place like Harvard. Like obama she has no clue how private enterprise works, how business works and what businesses do in providing needed products and services. Like obama she believes she is a know it all mastermind and that all of the masterminds like her, if they get in government, know better than you and can provide for you better than you can yourself. And in that utopian world, all will be fair and free, except your freedom. Of course there is the fuzzy little detail of totalitarianism, but like most lefties, that's an insignificant detail because great intentions mean more than end results.

This isn't the Democratic Party I knew when I was growing up, which argued for more government intervention, but many of them were not American hating marxist goons. These days the party has been hijacked by total extreme leftist kooks who are intent on imposing their Utopian Statism on all.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:37 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Link to DNC Video:
I'm beginning to think that the Democrats simply do not fundamentally understand what it means to be American.

Thank God Mitt Romney and not John McCain is running against Obama. He's going to pummel Obama with this video.
Why do you think Team Obama deliberately obfuscates the difference between the federal government and State/County/City government? Quit talking about teachers, firemen and police. That is not the business of the federal government. I don't think I have ever heard it as much as I have these past 4 years. We directly vote for the local guys who make the budgets and implent the budgets that pay for these workers. I have no say in, for example, the doings of Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer or Harry Reid or the people in the President's cabinet because I don't vote for them and yet those people have enormous say so over my life. I'm not saying that fact has not been true forever but Team Obama and the DC Democrats keep throwing around our local decisions like they own them.

Butt out of our local affairs Washington Democrats!

Old 09-09-2012, 05:39 PM

172 posts, read 267,855 times
That was music to the ears of this welfare minded voting block
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections