Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:21 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
You wanta man up to your lie? Under what basis did you claim that hospitals would be letting Medicare patients die on the street?
Where did I say that?

I proposed hospitals would cost-shift their fines to average Americans who are now forced to purchase insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 12:23 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
We did not ration healthcare before Obama, but now we will be forced to.
Health care has ALWAYS been rationed by the Insurance Companies..... Ask anyone who has been denied cover and denied treatment by the Insurance moguls.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:33 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,205,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It won't cost them their lives like Obamacare will. Limiting readmissions for relapses and/or complications WILL cost lives.

Seniors, you better hope you don't become ill or require surgery after hospitals have already hit their readmissions limit
REALLY? short memory?

Quote:
Where did I say that?

I proposed hospitals would cost-shift their fines to average Americans who are now forced to purchase insurance.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
REALLY? short memory?
Will it cost lives? Yes, according to Dr. Sunil Kripalani and NPR.

More than 2,200 hospitals face penalties under ObamaCare rules
When Going Back To The Hospital Is Good News : Health Blog : NPR

Will seniors be "dying in the streets" because of the limits on Medicare readmissions? No, and I didn't say that. They'll most likely die at home or in a convalescent center.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Will it cost lives? Yes, according to Dr. Sunil Kripalani and NPR.

Will seniors be "dying in the streets" because of the limits on Medicare readmissions? No, and I didn't say that. They'll most likely die at home or in a convalescent center.
Not willing to man up to your lie? FYI, you big lie is that anyone is limiting or restricting "readmissions". That is not what the law does, it imposes a penalty for excessive readmissions.

The implication of your nonsense is that hospitals won't readmit once they reach their limit, that is a lie.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Not willing to man up to your lie?
There is no lie, other than yours.

I said limiting Medicare readmissions will cost lives. Both Dr. Sunil Kripalani and NPR agree:

Quote:
The implication of your nonsense is that hospitals won't readmit once they reach their limit, that is a lie.
Really? Who's going to pay the fines for Medicare readmissions that are over the arbitrarily set limit? You do know many hospitals are non-profit institutions, right? They have no money to pay the fines, so who will?

Average Americans via cost-shifting to insurance companies resulting in higher premiums?
Other patients by getting reduced care because the hospital will have to cut staff and services to pay the fines?

You claim hospitals will readmit Medicare patients anyway even if they're fined for doing so. Tell us who will pay the fines.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
There is no lie, other than yours.

I said limiting Medicare readmissions will cost lives. Both Dr. Sunil Kripalani and NPR agree:

Really? Who's going to pay the fines for Medicare readmissions that are over the arbitrarily set limit? You do know many hospitals are non-profit institutions, right? They have no money to pay the fines, so who will?

Average Americans via cost-shifting to insurance companies resulting in higher premiums?
Other patients by getting reduced care because the hospital will have to cut staff and services to pay the fines?

You claim hospitals will readmit Medicare patients anyway even if they're fined for doing so. Tell us who will pay the fines.
you're doing a lot of studdering about costs, but nothing about any hospital denying ANYONE readmission under any circumstance. That's your claim, ppl will die when hospital reach their limit. Back that up or man up that you were blowing smoke.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
you're doing a lot of studdering about costs, but nothing about any hospital denying ANYONE readmission under any circumstance.
Limits have actually been placed on Medicare readmissions by Obamacare.
Quote:
ppl will die when hospital reach their limit. Back that up or man up that you were blowing smoke.
I did back it up. Both Dr. Sunil Kripalani and NPR agree, higher readmissions result in lowermortality. Lower readmissions result in higher mortality:

Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,002,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
We did not ration healthcare before Obama, but now we will be forced to.
ah Healthcare has always been rationed by your insurance company. They decide what they will and will not pay for and what your limits are. Even then the only way around those would be to pay cash.

Also the State via its board limits what treatments a Doctor can do and keep his license. If your doctor prescribes back rubs and not chemo/surgery to get rid of cancer then state could take away his license.

As for your story about working in healthcare (I doubt you do).

The hospital is the most expensive place to get treatment and as soon as your condition allows it you will be released to either your home or a nursing home (a skilled care facility). Sending a visiting nurse or other healthcare provider like a CNA is cheaper. Hence why hospitals are under pressure to release patients sooner (i.e. your insurance company is going to start to complain if you send excessive time in the hospital).

Re-admittance suggests the hospital didn’t do its job when they release the person. It could be the hospital is not at fault (i.e. the person truly got sicker or was made sick by something else). Or it could be a case of the hospital releasing the person a bit too early, or not explaining their treatment/care. It is like a Mechanic Shop with a high return rate (either they are not fixing the problem or they have other issues).

Last edited by chirack; 10-03-2012 at 03:28 PM..

Old 10-03-2012, 03:14 PM

30,077 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
you're doing a lot of studdering about costs, but nothing about any hospital denying ANYONE readmission under any circumstance. That's your claim, ppl will die when hospital reach their limit. Back that up or man up that you were blowing smoke.

You do understand, don't you, that hosptials must make a profit to keep thier doors open. Most hospitals are not government institutions. Hospitals already have fairly thin margins and are considered "cost centers", rather than "profit centers" when establishing medical plans. Our large mulit-specialty clinic owns two surgery centers. We had entertained purchasing one of the smaller hosptials, but after extensive evaluation concluded that being in the "hospital business" is of low profit margin.

When hosptials go broke- they close. Now who will remain solvent? Those hospitals which have very few medicare/medicaid admissions. Such hospitals are like the two I am looking at right now out of my office window. They are suburban hospitals which are essentially out patient ortho and OB hospitals which cater to a higher income group. They will be fine.

Also, keep in mind that the 30% cut in medicare mandated by Obamacare coming in Jan 1st is going to force many office practices to drop medicare or markedly limit the number of medicare patients they see. The result? Marked lack of access for seniors. This is the 800 lb gorilla in the room that no one is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections