Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
I'm not really understanding the overreaction on the left to Obama's performance in the debate. I thought it was pretty even - a mediocre performance from both candidates. Obama was a bit off focus/tired looking, and Romney smirked the entire time and kept cutting Lehrer off. The immediate post-debate analysis on MSNBC was practically in hysterics over Obama's performance.

I really think it's a case of Romney being so incredible bad over the past few weeks that anything he does remotely competently will be celebrated. I'm hoping for something more lively, and policy specific, in debate 2.
The left likes red meat just like the right. They did not get it so they were fuming. But in the end, Obama's steady, if uninspiring performance, did not hurt him and, if you actually tune out Romney's meth addict like hysterics and listen, you see that he made his points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 AM

190 posts, read 498,217 times
Quote:
Dukakis at least served in the Military.
Funny how people who despise our men and women in uniform pull out the "war-is-good card" when they're desperate for a put-down. Suddenly "serving our country" becomes a noble thing to liberals when we all know they hate the military with a passion.

Reminds me of their Marxist leader refusing to wear an American flag pin until he was forced to do so for appearances sake. Empty and phony. What a horrible way to live .... no wonder liberals are so personally miserable and without hope.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I didn't think Obama would do well. He doesn't do well when he's not in prepared speech mode.
He rarely takes questions from reporters and his last couple of free style talks ended up with some major gaffs ("you didn't build that").

He certainly wasn't like that in 2008. Makes me wonder if TPTB behind the big money have switched over to Romney.

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
I'm not really understanding the overreaction on the left to Obama's performance in the debate. I thought it was pretty even - a mediocre performance from both candidates. Obama was a bit off focus/tired looking, and Romney smirked the entire time and kept cutting Lehrer off. The immediate post-debate analysis on MSNBC was practically in hysterics over Obama's performance.

I really think it's a case of Romney being so incredible bad over the past few weeks that anything he does remotely competently will be celebrated. I'm hoping for something more lively, and policy specific, in debate 2.
Many are puzzled as to why Obama did not bring up the many things that he has in is artillery against Romney and there are many! Hopefully he will shoot them out during the next two debates.

IMO...Romney seemed manic and so desperate to win that he was about to go into a seizure. Now that Obama and his advisors have a handle on Romney's "steamrolling" approach, the next debate will hopefully be spent on calling him out on all his lies. He lied last night as he always does only with more force and conviction.

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
It appears a 2 part plan was all that was needed in 2008...Hope & Change. Now, all of the sudden, you folks want more "specifics"?

You just can't make this stuff up folks!
Two things, first on a funnier note after bush, was hope and change really that bad of a campaign. I mean seriously, you could have campaigned trash pickup every tuesday by 5 o'clock and it would have been better.

Second, you sidestepped my entire point unless you actually agree with it which sounds like you do since you couldn't actually offer a valid retort.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 AM

177 posts, read 197,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
First of all, most people view Romney's debate performance last night as a win. However, I don't.

Mr. Lehrer should have forcefully told Romney to abide by the debate rules. But that didn't happen and therefore Romeny was a steamroller. He happened to be in a manic mood last night while Obama was in a seemingly depressive mood.

Mr. Lehrer can get tough when he wants to. He has taken this approach at least once a few years ago. Age-wise, he was closer to 70 than 80.

Maybe Mr. Lehrer was in a dementia mood last night as he approaches the age of 80.

About eight years ago, Mr. Lehrer had a very short outburt of anger directed towards Mark Shields. I can't exactly remember the specifics, but both Lehrer and Shields got quite testy.

As I recall Lehrer felt Shields was interferring in his role as moderator. Ha! Ha! Ha! If only Lehrer had been testy with Romney last night.

Mr. Lehrer is an adequate journalist but not exceptional. Not at all!

He just happens to be a Texan and apparently one of the few journalists with a good rapport with the extended Bush family.

Yeah, he's moderated some 12 presidential debates but so what. He just happens to be on good terms with the Bush family and the extended Bush family have ruled the roost for many years.
I couldn't agree more. If you listened to the debate without hearing this band wagon concensus that Romney won, it's hard to see how he won. I think it was more of a draw. However because people forgot how much of a used ar salesman Romney is in these debates, the expecations for Obama were too far out of whack.

Now that Romney has been seen as a good debater, it will be hard for him to pull off another "win" in the next two debates. I expect any gains he made last night will be quickly erased in the next debate.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
So it was the moderators fault with a twist of Bush thrown in for good measure.
Well of course. It's not Obama's fault is it ? It can NEVER be Obama's fault.
Obama did bad in the debate because of the moderator. End of discussion.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
That was rather embarassing for her side, but aren't you the one who is constantly making Mormon jokes?

Can we assume you feel the same way about the Jewish nation that you feel about Mormons?
I doubt that very much. Being vocally anti-Semitic is considered to be in pretty bad taste these days. Being vocally anti-Mormon, on the other hand, is something to brag about..

Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
I know I have said this before, but Pres. Obama relies too heavily on a teleprompter when he delivers his messages, people saw first hand what the lack of one does for him. His mannerisms, his constantly looking down and not looking people in the eye, his ummm's and ahhhhh's. He was flat. He spoke haltingly. His body language was terrible. He looked like he wanted to be anyplace but there.

I guess four years of having "softball" type questions handed to you by a liberal friendly media will make you complacent. This president is just not used to tough questions from the media compared to previous presidents. Despite what some have said about "truth and lies" being the substance, BOTH of them lied or skewed the truth last night. This first debate was about who could show the people who the "Alpha male" was on stage......it wasn't the President. Romney basically Debo'd Pres. Obama last night and took his bike.
You think that debate was about showing who was the Alpha Male? God, our country is in more trouble than I ever would have guessed if this is the important take away to people like you. Do we really need an Alpha Male who has to have his handlers constantly holding press conferences the day after Romney speaks to correct what he said the day before? Romney doesn't know how to tell the truth about his own record and he bullied the moderator all over the place last night. He's just as much of a bully now as he was back in school when he rounded up a bunch of his friends to hold down a classmate to cut his hair.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Two things, first on a funnier note after bush, was hope and change really that bad of a campaign. I mean seriously, you could have campaigned trash pickup every tuesday by 5 o'clock and it would have been better.
Have you been asleep the past 4 years? A campaign simply consisting of "I'm not Obama" wouldn't be such a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections