Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 02:16 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,454,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Folks there are two more debates left and I seriously doubt Obama is going to let Romney roll over him from here on out. Add to the fact that Obama has an edge in the town hall format. In the end debates won't determine the winner. Have we forgotten that John Kerry whooped Bush's you know what in the debates and he still lost. In fact this election cycle is more like Kerry-Bush than Reagan-Carter..
Bush was ahead of Kerry by about 7 before the first debate. He won by 2.5. Obama was ahead of Romney by about 3-4 before the first debate.

Moreover, despite how many Obama lovers say that Obama is more popular than Bush was in 2004, that's incorrect. Obama's approval has remained, for the most part, a few points below Bush's.

Also - like Edward, I don't necessarily agree that Obama has the edge in the townhall debate.

Nevertheless, I do see similarities to 2004. This being said, Bush was in a better position in 2004 - albeit slightly - than Obama is. He was polling better than Obama in September, Romney did MUCH better in the first debate than Kerry did, the economic fundamentals favor Romney more than they favored Kerry, and Obama is slightly less popular than Bush was in 2004. And remember - Bush *barely* won.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 10-07-2012 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 06:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
To quote one of the pundits...

"Romney made a good testimony, but he will be indicted for perjury."
I guess you can always be thankful that you still have the right to free speech, even if it makes one look dumb because they cant post anything other than talking points.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:04 PM

7,141 posts, read 4,736,438 times
I haven't read through this thread much so don't know if this has been mentioned. But President Obama looked and acted literally at that debate as though he was under the influence of a prescription medication, one that acts as a sedative.

After observing him for over four years now, this is the only thing that makes sense (imo). He acted in such an uncharacteristic manner compared to his "norm," that to me it seems highly unlikely to have been a result of jet lag, altitude effects, fatigue, unpreparedness, etc.

I've been around people who have been under the influence of sedatives of one type or another, and seen the way they acted and were affected. The president's behavior looked very similar. Just my opinion. More I think about it, more sense it makes.

toodie

Old 10-07-2012, 09:29 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I haven't read through this thread much so don't know if this has been mentioned. But President Obama looked and acted literally at that debate as though he was under the influence of a prescription medication, one that acts as a sedative.

After observing him for over four years now, this is the only thing that makes sense (imo). He acted in such an uncharacteristic manner compared to his "norm," that to me it seems highly unlikely to have been a result of jet lag, altitude effects, fatigue, unpreparedness, etc.

I've been around people who have been under the influence of sedatives of one type or another, and seen the way they acted and were affected. The president's behavior looked very similar. Just my opinion. More I think about it, more sense it makes.

toodie
I get what you're saying - but he has a nickname "No Drama Obama". He's "the professor" and not a great debater. He made his case and was perhaps not prepared for the new shape-shifting "moderate-to-liberal" Romney, having prepared to debate the old conservative one.
By letting Romney talk, the fact-checkers are having a field day. With a lot of time left, everybody is speculating.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:27 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,117,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I guess you can always be thankful that you still have the right to free speech, even if it makes one look dumb because they cant post anything other than talking points.
Really? I distinctly stated that I was quoting something a pundit said...I thought it was rather appropriate, funny and clever and now I just post talking points? Your response and your use of the word "dumb" qualifies as the perfect example of pot calling kettle black.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:19 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,849,529 times
Quote:
Really? I distinctly stated that I was quoting something a pundit said...I thought it was rather appropriate, funny and clever and now I just post talking points? Your response and your use of the word "dumb" qualifies as the perfect example of pot calling kettle black.
Speaking of dumb ...
Octomom, Michael Lohan Join Online Debating Site | HEAVY

Hey, maybe Mythster could win that debate and raise money?

Old 10-08-2012, 07:21 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times
Quote:
Give him what? What is wrong with people? Seriously. Can you tell me what Romney's policies are? Can your wife? Can his supporters? Can Romney? Jeez!

I'll tell you what someone should "give him"...a table in NYC tourist traps to play his shell game.
You seem a bit upset that Romney won. Maybe it isn't US, it is You. Ever think of that?

Old 10-08-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
Yes, honest fact checkers (no spins or lies) via the media do help the American people decide for the right candidate! The debates just opened the remaining 5% of the undecided people's eyes to the facts! The margin for error in selecting the correct candidate has closed that gap, meaning that the next president elect will be elected due to the facts that was finally understood by those undecided and are now certain of their choice who is worthy to be the next President of the United States!
You can be passionate without yelling.
BTW, how do you know the "fact checkers" are honest?

Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,117,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
You seem a bit upset that Romney won. Maybe it isn't US, it is You. Ever think of that?
If you are obtuse enouogh to think I can be that easily goaded that is sad for you. The only thing that upsets me is that a person can be declared a "winner" when they have spun a web of lies. How pathetic that is! Romney has no integrity and he is not compared, quite frequently and very appropriately, with a used car salesman, for nothing. Not many people actually like Romney and that includes the ones that are voting for him...they don't even know or care what his policies are; How could they as is stances change daily. It's no secret that his supporters are comprised of Neocons, Plutocrats, Bible Thumpers, Birthers, Tea Potty dolts and just your run of the mill Obama haters. The first debate gave all the ammunition necessary to further expose Romney for the liar that his. Do you actually believe that the Obama campaign will not be using those lies to their advantage in the weeks leading up to the election? Obama beat the Clinton machine in 2008, I don't think that Romney will be too difficult to smack down when all is said and done.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 10-08-2012 at 11:41 AM..

Old 10-08-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
If you are obtuse enouogh to think I can be that easily goaded that is sad for you. The only thing that upsets me is that a person can be declared a "winner" when they have spun a web of lies. How pathetic that is! Romney has no integrity and he is not compared, quite frequently and very appropriately, with a used car salesman, for nothing. Not many people actually like Romney and that includes the ones that are voting for him...they don't even know or care what his policies are; How could they as is stances change daily. It's no secret that his supporters are comprised of Neocons, Plutocrats, Bible Thumpers, Birthers, Tea Potty dolts and just your run of the mill Obama haters. The first debate gave all the ammunition necessary to further expose Romney for the liar that his. Do you actually believe that the Obama campaign will not be using those lies to their advantage in the weeks leading up to the election? Obama beat the Clinton machine in 2008, I don't think that Romney will be too difficult to smack down when all is said and done.
And there seems to be an epidemic of people keying cars and peeing on Romney signs. People are going mad.

And on top of that, it seems teachers aren't looking kindly on kids with Romney shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections