Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 05:36 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,125,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
The above is the reason why people think your question is being simplistic. I'm not Jesus but I can comprehend what you're asking.

Cap on deductions - on what? Deductions for child care, dependents, depreciation, mortgage interest, capital gains, second homes, payroll taxes, interest income, meals, travel, entertainment expense. etc. SO WHAT CAP ON WHICH DEDUCTION DO YOU WANT HIM TO WRITE ON HIS WEBSITE???? And what people would understand what of the short list of the above applies to them if they 1) are married and have 1 kid 2) married and two kids 3) married and 3 kids but blind, 4) single but disabled and ad nauseum to all the possible permutations of this.

See where I'm going with this? Each candidate has an idea of who he wants to affect (aka who each want to pander to). Like a company's CEO, they each cannot possibly know all the details, just the overview.

In his statement in the 2nd debate, Romney said to put the deductions you chose into a "bucket" so you choose the deductions you want to use to fill that "bucket" his words, not mine. So, which deductions? all of them, or some of them. Romney won't say.

And I know you're not Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Take a tax accounting class...they can't teach you this in 16 weeks....

Why don't you explain what Obama is going to do to help the economy? He doesn't explain it-and he has done NOTHING in 4 years....

I don't think there's a tax accounting class can teach a course in a law that hasn't been passed yet.

This thread is not about Obama, it's about Romney, but feel free to start a thread or participate in an existing thread about Obama.

Nice try at deflection, not biting.

Too bad more of you Romney supporters aren't asking him the hard questions.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:22 AM

25,574 posts, read 56,512,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
His plan lets us, the citizens, keep more of OUR money upfront and make smart decisions about what we do with it, instead of the government giving tax credits, deductions, etc based on government rules and regulations.

Romney's plan make great sense.
How is he going to do that, exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
How do you take a Federal deduction on your property taxes? I knew you could take the mortagage interest deduction, but didn't know you could take a Federal deduction for you property tax.
Well, this question tells me you haven't the first clue on how to answer the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Living in Jersey is a choice.
Oh, puhleeze. So, the only people who count are those who live in low-tax, low social services states, with low-paying jobs? Everyone should leave NJ and NY to move to GA, MS, AL, etc.? Great thinking, there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Is it OK with you that Obama hasn't done anything to fix the tremendous inequity concerning retirement account capital gains and dividends? Doesn't it bother you that Obama hasn't proposed anything to allow retirees withdrawing funds from IRA's or 401K accounts to just pay the capital gain tax rate on the prorated capital gains and dividends earned in those accounts? Doesn't it concern you that he hasn't proposed anything at all to have those gains not taxed as ordinary income for retirees, especially those in the middle class, when they wouldn't be taxed as ordinary income if not in a retirement account?
As someone with tax-deferred retirement accounts who has kept track of nothing, trying to calculate a lower tax on prorated capital and dividends would be a nightmare. My retirement tax bracket isn't high enough that it matters. Plus, I'm doing Roth conversions to bypass any future taxes. So, tax treatment of retirement account capital gains and dividends is lowest on my list of concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
yes, and that cap is $25,000. and you also do not have to pay on capital gains
and other stuff
give it a break
I am self-employed with 2 businesses
I have already suffered with 4 years of obama
I lost a lot of business because of his policies, I have already lost my health insurance
and my house is under water! Gas prices are at an al l time high, gro are threw the roof!!
I like Romey's tax plan
under Obama in 2014, I am going to be hit hard, my accountant has already told me
so because of Obama I have lost money
4 more years of this hack I will not be able to turn this around
with Romney I have a shot at it
How, exactly, hard-hit are you and in what areas? Without specifics, this generally is not believable. I looked at every tax in Obamacare (I assume that's what you're talking about), and not one of them affects me. Nada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am going to be paying more in taxes most likely, under either Obama or Romney. I'm ok with that. I can afford it. And good grief, SOMEONE has to pay some damn taxes! Right now, two thirds of people filing an income tax return GET A REFUND. This is insanity. We can't keep giving away money like this.
Are you saying two-thirds of the people filing tax returns who get refunds are paying NO INCOME TAX whatsoever? My sister is still working, has about $10k withheld for federal taxes alone not including FICA, and gets a $3k REFUND. Are you saying that $7k she doesn't get back means the government is giving money away? Or, is her over-withholding of $3k (a forced savings which a lot of people do) our government giving money away it should rightfully keep? Pretty odd for a business person not to know the difference between a tax and a refund. Two very different categories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
And we know he CAN do this because he too does have a record!! And unlike Obama, his record CLEARLY shows that he CAN work with other political parties....
Actually, he doesn't work well with the other side. Never has. Romney had nothing to do with initiating Romneycare, as anyone in MA will tell you. Just signed the legislation. He wasn't much of a job creator, either. Further, property taxes increased under his watch. And, he had a closed-door policy for the legislators in general, to the point of taking a private elevator so he needn't be bothered by the stray legislator who might want to talk with him. Why do you think he left office with a 32% approval rating?

As governor, Romney faced similar economic situation as Obama -- with similar results - Boston.com

"Mitt Romney was not an effective governor." - YouTube

Quote:
Like I said, I believe that part of the lack of specifics is because he wants to make this a BIPARTISAN agreement and he very much has BIPARTISAN, UNIFYING goals, rather than the blatantly divisive goals and actions of the current administration. If he gives too many specifics, that alone will be divisive, at a bad time to be so. He knows full well (as any educated voter SHOULD know) that he cannot ramrod his ideas thru like Obama did in 2008 and 2009, because he doesn't have full control of the House and Senate, as Obama did. Any plan he has will HAVE to be bipartisan - so the parties will have to work together to formulate this plan.
It would be great if Romney was sincere about bipartisanship. My observation leads me to believe he will not do anything in a cooperative manner. Rather, he will do as he pleases. He does not like being challenged. He likes to RULE. Currently, he is pulling the wool over everyone's eyes - people who are desperate to see this country put bickering aside and solve its problems. Romney is hoodwinking his supporters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
See where I'm going with this? Each candidate has an idea of who he wants to affect (aka who each want to pander to).
That's right. People are using selective hearing if they believe any of Romney's lies.

Quote:
Right - a lot of garbled speech.
I disagree. I understood him perfectly. Aside from a missing period and an initial cap and minor typo, his post was clear to me. Your posts are generally worth reading. Why have you resorted to nitpicking a nonissue, instead of discussing his point?

Old 10-21-2012, 12:46 AM

167 posts, read 278,389 times
[quote=carterstamp;26546243]Do you understand that if his tax plan is passed, you will lose part of your Mortgage, Child Care, Student Loan, etc. deductions?

In his statement about his tax plan, he mentioned that you will put those deductions in a bucket with a dollar cap on it. If i remember right its for those married and 250k and above and single 100k and above. 90% of Americans fall below that.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:01 AM

167 posts, read 278,389 times
Default It wont matter

Those trivial tax changes like one poster said wont make even make a .001 dent in the budget. They need a 10-20% across the board reduction in the 250 Federal agencies and departments that have doubled in size in the last decade. Give these unproductive regulatory agencies and departments back to the states and keep the fat money hungry feds out of our lives.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:36 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,340,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Do you understand that if his tax plan is passed, you will lose part of your Mortgage, Child Care, Student Loan, etc. deductions?

In his statement about his tax plan, he mentioned that you will put those deductions in a bucket with a dollar cap on it.
Do you realize that if Obama is elected middle class taxes will rise about $4,000 on average? Middle income earners will have a huge increase in take home pay with President Romney. Their tax rate will decrease by 20% and few of these folks have deductions over $25,000. Plus they will have a better chance of actually finding a job.
Wake up! Do any of you clueless people think Obama will have lower taxes that Romney?

Old 10-21-2012, 06:21 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,625,346 times
Quote:
Do you understand that if his tax plan is passed, you will lose part of your Mortgage, Child Care, Student Loan, etc. deductions?

In his statement about his tax plan, he mentioned that you will put those deductions in a bucket with a dollar cap on it.

First off you don't know this...if Romney is elected hopefully he will close the loophole for the wealthiest people getting mortgage deductions-

For example:

Billy Ray Cyrus receives a $29,000-a-year tax break on a 467-acre, $6.5 million spread with a tree-topped hill near Thompson Station, Tenn.Williamson County records show Cyrus, who’s also lived at times in Los Angeles, holds separate farming greenbelts on six of seven parcels that comprise the 467-acre tract. By law, applications for greenbelt are supposed to be filed with the local Register of Deeds. Yet a check of records there revealed applications for just two of the six farming greenbelts, both from 1994, when the singer disclosed that he intended to raise corn, horses and cattle. He never did.

Tom Cruise did the same thing in Colorado as well as SEVERAL others which you can look up.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:20 AM

[quote=brad4143;26599955]
Quote:

In his statement about his tax plan, he mentioned that you will put those deductions in a bucket with a dollar cap on it. If i remember right its for those married and 250k and above and single 100k and above. 90% of Americans fall below that.

He didn't mention the income level the tax plan would cover. He threw out a figure, $25K as an illustration. Realistically, if the plan only targets those with an annual income of 250K and above, it won't pay for itself.

Thank you for your honest answer.

Last edited by carterstamp; 10-21-2012 at 11:57 AM..

Old 10-21-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Do you realize that if Obama is elected middle class taxes will rise about $4,000 on average? Middle income earners will have a huge increase in take home pay with President Romney. Their tax rate will decrease by 20% and few of these folks have deductions over $25,000. Plus they will have a better chance of actually finding a job.
Wake up! Do any of you clueless people think Obama will have lower taxes that Romney?

This is not about Obama, it's about Romney's tax plan. Romney has a 50% chance of winning this thing, as the latest polls show. I think it's an honest question, an one that his supporters need to consider.

And I never said I was an Obama supporter. We, as voters, need to hold these people accountable for what they say. If someone proposes a "plan" that would alter how we pay taxes, then can't or won't explain what that plan is, it behooves us, as voters to demand the nuts and bolts of that plan. He has a website, he can use it to inform people of just what his plan involves. As my father would say..easy peasy.

We've become a nation of lazy voters. We listen to the speeches, go to the rallys, listen to the sound bites and super pac ads, and we imagine ourselves as informed voters. It takes work to look into what these people are really about, and, to be honest, Romney is not very different from GWB, except that he is more articulate.

Last edited by carterstamp; 10-21-2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old 10-21-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
First off you don't know this...if Romney is elected hopefully he will close the loophole for the wealthiest people getting mortgage deductions-

For example:

Billy Ray Cyrus receives a $29,000-a-year tax break on a 467-acre, $6.5 million spread with a tree-topped hill near Thompson Station, Tenn.Williamson County records show Cyrus, who’s also lived at times in Los Angeles, holds separate farming greenbelts on six of seven parcels that comprise the 467-acre tract. By law, applications for greenbelt are supposed to be filed with the local Register of Deeds. Yet a check of records there revealed applications for just two of the six farming greenbelts, both from 1994, when the singer disclosed that he intended to raise corn, horses and cattle. He never did.

Tom Cruise did the same thing in Colorado as well as SEVERAL others which you can look up.
If you want a loophole closed, how about the loophole that makes it more profitable, taxwise, for companies to outsource labor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections