Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 08:04 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I heard it on Fox and NPR both this morning.

But by the way, NPR elaborated that 2% is still crawling. Not good enough to significantly affect the unemployment rate in itself. If unemployment goes down, it will be because more people stopped looking for work.

But spin it however you want for The One....
Half of the 2% is from the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 08:06 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
I've always felt that models using GDP growth as a measure of electoral outcome were flawed. During a period of high growth and economic expansion, maybe. But when 47 million households are on foodstamps and 23 million people out of work? No way, no how does 2% GDP growth drive an electoral outome. There's simply too many negatives outweighing the positives.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:08 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Hey, since you're so smart, tell me why they have Ohio, at a 75% chance of an Obama win, considering the polls say otherwise..
Obama doesn't have to lead Romney by a 75-25 margin to have a 75% chance of carrying the state. The model is saying that Obama would win Ohio 75 times out of 100 if the election were held 100 times.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
I seen them, and laughed my ass off because someone, actually took the time, to be that wrong.

Hey, since you're so smart, tell me why they have Ohio, at a 75% chance of an Obama win, considering the polls say otherwise..
Again, the information is in the cite. Silver actually uses the state polls in his statistical analysis. When you start accurately predicting national elections, we will start listening to you.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:13 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Again, the information is in the cite. Silver actually uses the state polls in his statistical analysis. When you start accurately predicting national elections, we will start listening to you.
So you cant answer? Once again, how do they compute Obama at 75% chance of winning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Obama doesn't have to lead Romney by a 75-25 margin to have a 75% chance of carrying the state. The model is saying that Obama would win Ohio 75 times out of 100 if the election were held 100 times.
That makes no sense considering we only vote 1 time, and people wont switch their votes, even if they held them 100 times..

Do you expect people to suddenly wake up one day and go, oooh, I'm switching my vote..

NOPE..

Old 10-26-2012, 08:16 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
So you cant answer? Once again, how do they compute Obama at 75% chance of winning?

That makes no sense considering we only vote 1 time, and people wont switch their votes, even if they held them 100 times..

Do you expect people to suddenly wake up one day and go, oooh, I'm switching my vote..

NOPE..
I answered your question. It is in the cite. Trying reading and listening instead of talking. You will learn more that way.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've always felt that models using GDP growth as a measure of electoral outcome were flawed. During a period of high growth and economic expansion, maybe. But when 47 million households are on foodstamps and 23 million people out of work? No way, no how does 2% GDP growth drive an electoral outome. There's simply too many negartives outweighing the positives.
The impact is not material, but the point to underscore is the overall trend line. Unemployment has been trending down since 2010 and that is seen, on the whole, as a positive thing (definitely more positive than trending up). And contrary to popular belief on Internet Boards and Fox News, a sizeable number of Americans do not hold Obama accountable for the massive job losses incurred from Day One in office. They don't expect a patient who broke his back to be back on his feet competing in an Iron Man contest in two months. People who blame the economic woes of the country on Obama were not likely to vote for him anyway.

The other thing is that a number of people are fully employed and thus view news of better than average GDP growth as a good thing.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:

NOPE..
Okay. I now see why Red States lag behind in education.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Great, GDP up...driven by GOVERNMENT SPENDING. GDP is not a great measure of the health of the economy unless government spending is taken out.

Headlines are great, details however are a b*&ch.

Q3 GDP Estimate Beats Expectations As Government "Consumption" Soars | ZeroHedge
No offense but your post is economic illiteracy. How can government spending be excluded from GDP when the definition of GDP is:

where:
C = consumption
I= gross investment
G = government spending
X = exports
M = imports

Government spending is a component of GDP.

Moreover, it makes no difference from a macro-economic standpoint if GM sells a car to you or it sells it to the Interior Department. e proceeds go into the economy; people are working to produce the car, etc. Those people take their earnings and spend it in the economy.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I answered your question. It is in the cite. Trying reading and listening instead of talking. You will learn more that way.
no you didnt, in fact you admitted you didnt know by telling me to do your homework for you.

If YOU are going to cite something as accurate, be prepared to defend it..

FAIL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections