Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post

There is NO WAY the individual states would be able to afford to repair the amount of destruction that has occurred from this storm. The Republican party governor of New Jersey has stated so. We need to keep these United States united and we
all need to help one another. The idea that I have everything I need so I don't care
about you is a Republican idea. It is a cold and callous practice when treated this way
by individuals or by your own government.
Just as there is no way the Federal Government will be able to afford it without increasing the deficit or raising taxes. I get where Romney was coming from prior to his most recent flip-flop, a few days ago.

I also get how no matter how much is paid out, it's never going to be enough for the people who lived through a disaster.

Rebuilding in some areas of the U.S. probably does not make sense, in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 02:09 PM

39,087 posts, read 51,273,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I am waiting for the flip-flop where Romney declares that he has always been a strong proponent of FEMA, praising the work they do, and vowing to increase their funding once elected. Why not? He has done the same thing with all his other unpopular positions.
HE DID IT!!!!! Romney just put out a statement that, as president, he will see FEMA get the funding it needs. You can't make this flip-flopping stuff up with Romney.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:09 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,548,281 times
Quote:
There is NO WAY the individual states would be able to afford to repair the amount of
destruction that has occurred from this storm. The Republican party governor
of New Jersey has stated so. We need to keep these United States united and we
all need to help one another. The idea that I have everything I need so I don't care
about you is a Republican idea. It is a cold and callous practice when treated this way

Old 10-31-2012, 02:16 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,869,709 times
Romney just announced that "of cooouuurrsse he would fully fund FEMA".... who is this guy and more importantly, who in the world would ever listen to him?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Romney just announced that "of cooouuurrsse he would fully fund FEMA".... who is this guy and more importantly, who in the world would ever listen to him?
The man who said he was not going to allow fact checkers to run his campaign.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:47 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
The cuts Obama is being forced to make cuts billions out of FEMA's budget. Have they asked Obama about that? Romney merely wants to return FEMA monies to the states where it belongs and is best controlled.
Well ~ seems Romney has had a change of heart. NOW - two days post Sandy - he would, of course, fully fund FEMA.

I think Mitt needs an immediate MRI to make sure he has a backbone. The man stands for NOTHING. He says whatever he thinks you want to hear.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,922,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well ~ seems Romney has had a change of heart. NOW - two days post Sandy - he would, of course, fully fund FEMA.

I think Mitt needs an immediate MRI to make sure he has a backbone. The man stands for NOTHING. He says whatever he thinks you want to hear.
I am sure that the Romney campaign will soon clarify that the remarks previously made by Mitt Romney and the Romney campaign no longer reflect the views of the Romney campaign.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:20 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I am waiting for the flip-flop where Romney declares that he has always been a strong proponent of FEMA, praising the work they do, and vowing to increase their funding once elected. Why not? He has done the same thing with all his other unpopular positions.
Wait no longer!

Old 10-31-2012, 04:25 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,770,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There's no magic about FEMA. More and more people are starting to recognize that.
FEMA is great contributor to deficit financing.
It's a system of bureaucratic centralized economic planning that is a policy that is deeply flawed. They contribute to deficit financing and, quite frankly, they don't have a penny in the bank.

FEMA is not a good friend of most people it says it is there to help. All they do is come in and tell you what to do and can't do. You can't get in your houses. And they hinder the local people, and they hinder volunteers from going in.

FEMA failing to respond in a timely, organized manner to the vast destruction wrought by Hurricane Katrina, was the icing on the cake and opened many eyes just how they are there to control, not help.

FEMA is in big trouble financially. Their flood relief program is $20 billion in debt and cast doubt that additional emergency funds could be found for FEMA.
This is an example of why the GOP approach is hopelessly cynical. Guess what, if you appoint a bunch of political chronies and bozos in important posts for which they don't have training or experience, they are likely to fail. YOu cannot honestly claim such poor leadership is a failure of government capabilities. Bush put political hacks in charge of FEMA. That is why Katrina was a disaster. Put good people in place, and they will do a good job, as they are showing this week. THEY WILL SAVE LIVES! Not much could be more important than that.

We need to find our way back to a point where people who want the job, want to do it well. Republicans seem to want power, but they have proven that they cannot or will not govern competently. So, it is completely deceitful to claim that government is a failure when they have not even tried to do their jobs for the American people.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:28 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,770,897 times
Quote:
There is NO WAY the individual states would be able to afford to repair the amount of
destruction that has occurred from this storm. The Republican party governor
of New Jersey has stated so. We need to keep these United States united and we
In this case, it seems like a fair payback. Doesn't NYC pay far more federal taxes than it typically receives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections