Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 05:41 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
No. Those are people who can't get their lazy asses to a location like a DMV where they can get a FREE photo ID. You need photo ID to buy cigarettes and liquor, you need a photo ID to get a passport, you need a photo ID to get a Power of Attorney, so don't give me this crap that anyone is being disenfranchised.

The Constitutional standard is you must be an American citizen to vote. Originally, only landowners had the right to vote, that that was changed early on. If you can't prove you are who you say you are, too bad. Then don't vote.

I'll tell you who were the most disenfranchised voters THIS election cycle - the folks who were victims of Hurricane Sandy.
My 91 year old father was unable to get a photo ID prior to the election. The DMV wouldn't take his military ID because, well I'm not sure why. They asked for a birth certificate and he couldn't find it soon enough. Because he got turned down there - he was afraid the elections official would turn down his photo military ID as well. He quit driving about 3 years ago - so driver's license expired.

So he did not get to vote for his candidate (Romney) in what probably will be his last chance to vote got his country. My father, staunch Republican, and Veteran of many wars.

I do understand the need for regulations but sometimes it make things difficult for the folks who are least able to overcome the obstacles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 06:19 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,033,054 times
Quote:
No. Those are people who can't get their lazy asses to a location like a DMV where they can get a FREE photo ID.
Ah yes. Taking off to go to the DMV is trivial to those on minimum wage, those less mobile. You must know that a serious effort is needed just to get the less fortunate to the polls on election day. And, of course, gathering the supporting documentation may or may not be trivial.

Quote:
You need photo ID to buy cigarettes and liquor
No.

Quote:
you need a photo ID to get a passport, you need a photo ID to get a Power of Attorney
Yeah, I don't think anyone is worried about those who hold passports or have their lawyers draw up powers of attorney. They're by definition fairly resourceful people.

Quote:
The Constitutional standard is you must be an American citizen to vote.
Of age, and not a felon, yep. No requirement to possess a photo ID.

Quote:
I'll tell you who were the most disenfranchised voters THIS election cycle - the folks who were victims of Hurricane Sandy.
And that sucks, but I don't see where it's relevant to the photo ID debate.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,168,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
My 91 year old father was unable to get a photo ID prior to the election. The DMV wouldn't take his military ID because, well I'm not sure why. They asked for a birth certificate and he couldn't find it soon enough. Because he got turned down there - he was afraid the elections official would turn down his photo military ID as well. He quit driving about 3 years ago - so driver's license expired.

So he did not get to vote for his candidate (Romney) in what probably will be his last chance to vote got his country. My father, staunch Republican, and Veteran of many wars.

I do understand the need for regulations but sometimes it make things difficult for the folks who are least able to overcome the obstacles.
Why didn't he request an absentee ballot?

Old 11-11-2012, 06:33 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,168,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ah yes. Taking off to go to the DMV is trivial to those on minimum wage, those less mobile. You must know that a serious effort is needed just to get the less fortunate to the polls on election day. And, of course, gathering the supporting documentation may or may not be trivial.
Most DMVs have hours of operation on Saturday. And if getting around is so difficult, they can have an absentee ballot mailed to their address, unless their address happens to be a vacant lot where they don't really live in the first place.

Quote:
No.
Yes - in NY state you do!

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think anyone is worried about those who hold passports or have their lawyers draw up powers of attorney. They're by definition fairly resourceful people.
Oh. You mean only Republicans have passports and PoAs?

Quote:
Of age, and not a felon, yep. No requirement to possess a photo ID.
Good point. We should pass an amendment to the Constitution which requires photo ID (since digital photographs and cars didn't exist in 1790)

Quote:
And that sucks, but I don't see where it's relevant to the photo ID debate.
Just saying in terms of disenfranchisement, that's all. You want to use photo ID as a baseball bat against one's ability to vote, how about those who have photo ID but were wiped out because of a natural disaster or whose polling place was moved and they had no way of knowing where to go because there was no power?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Quote:
Wow, an even lamer Dem defense than I expected. I don't care if it's Rue Paul's picture or Snoop Dog's. If people are so absent from participation in modern day society that they don't have SOME form of valid picture ID, they should just crawl back in their cave anyway. Only the Dems are worried about those kinds of people getting to the polling place BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO BRAINS and can be bribed to vote D.

Have you missed the lawsuits filed by Republicans on behalf of the military vote via absentee ballot? You have?
Then photo IDs must be free, no charge, nothing. The moment you put a fee on a photo ID when it is required by law to present a photo ID to vote, then the state is in violation of the voter law.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Well why aren't Republicans concerned with mail-in ballots where voter fraud is easier. You seem to avoid that question.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:42 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,005,027 times
Quote:
Depends on the laws of the state and if he didn't miss an deadline also why does absentee ballots get the grace of no photo id needed but other voting types do???? You can get much more fraud from them than in person voting.

Anyway the reason why there is no ruckus over absentee voting is becuase it favors the older voter( and older voters go Republican). Early voting favors the people who are more likely to vote democratic( low income workers).

Absentee Voting Rules | Long Distance Voter - The Absentee Ballot Experts
From the looks of the list a healthy 91 year old who cannot drive might not qualify for absentee voting in a number of states! Some states require illness (well that is not what is going one in that case). Some may require inablity to get to the poll(but how do you define or prove that?). IMHO I think this issuse backfired. It pissed off the people they were tring to supress and probably tangled a few 91 year old Republicans who just missed the cut off dates for mailing the ballot in the process.

Last edited by chirack; 11-11-2012 at 09:10 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,005,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then photo IDs must be free, no charge, nothing. The moment you put a fee on a photo ID when it is required by law to present a photo ID to vote, then the state is in violation of the voter law.
That does not sound Fiscally Conservative!

Old 11-11-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
That does not sound Fiscally Conservative!
True, but it is illegal to charge anyone to vote and if you require everyone who votes to have a photo ID then it must be free and easy to obtain for that to be legal. Personally I think the need for requiring people who vote in person to be a waste of money seeing that those who vote by mail-in don't need to do this.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,033,054 times
Quote:
Most DMVs have hours of operation on Saturday.
A lot don't. Services tend to s.ck in bad areas.

Quote:
Oh. You mean only Republicans have passports and PoAs?
I probably would have typed that, then. But Democratic voters are overrepresented among those living the sort of life where passports and legal documents aren't common concerns.

Quote:
Good point. We should pass an amendment to the Constitution which requires photo ID (since digital photographs and cars didn't exist in 1790)
You get right on that.

Quote:
Just saying in terms of disenfranchisement, that's all. You want to use photo ID as a baseball bat against one's ability to vote, how about those who have photo ID but were wiped out because of a natural disaster or whose polling place was moved and they had no way of knowing where to go because there was no power?
Well, that sucks, and I hope every measure was taken to make sure as many as possible got to vote. I don't really see where it's comparable, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections