Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Oh Brother. The Republican Party certainly does NOT know how to lose gracefully. Or - do anything else gracefully come to think of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 02:13 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTraveler View Post
What is a "mandate"?
Do I look like a dictionary? It's common term used in politics. Look it up.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:18 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Yeah, you can pretend that is the reason why your guy lost....which precincts in Baltimore had Obama getting 99%? When you look at past numbers, Obama won Baltimore by the same amount in this election as he did in 2008....my guess, Baltimore is a very liberal city.....next you will try to tell me that Obama got 99% of the vote in precincts in NYC, which would just be shocking for how liberal NYC is.

But if your grasping for straws, you have got four years to figure out why Obama didn't win the presidency, while the rest of us move on with our lives and enjoy four more years of Obama.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:21 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times
Quote:
It's a stolen election.

Obama and the administration is illegitimate.
HAHAHAHAH! I called it:

//www.city-data.com/forum/26833166-post1.html

Classic!

Old 11-11-2012, 08:13 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
HAHAHAHAH! I called it:

//www.city-data.com/forum/26833166-post1.html

Classic!
Good job, though I think anyone with common sense could of called that one, the Cons tend to be very predictable even when they seem erratic.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 PM

753 posts, read 728,180 times
Mandate:
Something all Presidents claim to have after election.

Mandate:
Something people who dislike any recently-elected President claim that President doesn't really have.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I see NO "mandate".
If he had received 60% or more of the popular vote, maybe.
Well shoot, if we'd just known he needed 60%, we'd have printed more fraudulent ballots and given out more voting obamaphones.
Next time, you folks tell us ahead of time, ok? Voter fraud takes planning and time.
edit to add: plus rounding up all those illegals. man. Give us a pass this time and we'll really turn out the vote next time.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 11-11-2012 at 08:30 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 08:49 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTraveler View Post
What is a "mandate"?
It's something two gay men do. Usually, they go out to eat at a FABULOUS little Swedish restaurant in Boys Town, then hold hands at a Bette Midler retrospective. On the third mandate, they typicallydecide whether they'll violate the Texas sodomy law. Oh, wait... that law was invalidated by Lawrence v. Texas.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:02 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:

Why do you need to cry voter fraud because your guy didn't win. How about people just didn't like Romney or trust him. You can't run as a conservative in the primaries and then run as a moderate in the general election. That raised a lot of red flags of who the real Romney was and how exactly he would run this country. Plus he had the neo cons as his advisers which indicated he would be just another puppet like Bush. Why would we want someone like that in the white house again.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I heard one of the talking heads this morning stating that obama now has a "mandate" from the American people.
"MANDATE"?? since when did a plurality of less than a million popular votes become a "mandate"?
I suppose he also won in a "landslide"...
Yeah, right.
I see NO "mandate".
If he had received 60% or more of the popular vote, maybe.
Well, since it was so difficult to find the answer to this -- five whole minutes on Google -- on another thread, I might as well repost here:

Bush claims mandate, sets 2nd-term goals / 'I earned capital in this campaign, political capital, and now I intend to spend it' - SFGate

Karl's A Rover On A Bush Mandate Mission - New York Daily News

Victory gives Bush mandate to charge on

Mainstream media continued to echo conservative claim of Bush "mandate" | Research | Media Matters for America

From Salon:

So what would a real mandate look like? [Charles] Krauthammer helpfully explained on Fox News Sunday the weekend after President Bush was reelected in 2004:

I think it was a huge issue that the president was weak in his first term. He had less of the power and strength and capital, as he speaks of, than he does today. And now that he’s been elected with a large majority, or a significant majority, and with a mandate, I think part of that mandate is to get the right judges, by his likes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections