Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:07 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I'm not sure if someone has posted this article yet but the potential candidates for the 2016 race have already been postulated. The natural follower to Obama will be Hillary (sorry, Joe) and she will stand a VERY good chance at winning. Jeb Bush is popular with the GOP establishment, he is very popular in Florida, and he has historically polled well with the Latino community as he is very moderate on immigration reform.

Would this be a close race? Would Bush's name damn him?

2016 election: Hillary Clinton vs. Jeb Bush? - Jonathan Martin and Maggie Haberman - POLITICO.com
I think this will be the race if Hillary decides to run, and I don't think the Bush name will hurt Jeb with the R base. Jeb is so much more moderate than W that I think he might have a shot at swaying independents once he has a chance to get out there and show his stuff. Huntsman would be the ideal candidate, but unless things change, the base will never support him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 11:09 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Purity tests are passe for young women and they should be passe for presidential candidates. I'm truly sorry that Jon Huntsman's campaign went nowhere, because of all the candidates, he was the most qualified to be president in my opinion-- undisputed family values credentials, executive experience as governor of Utah, foreign policy experience as the ambassador to China (and eminently qualified to do that with his Chinese experience and fluency in Mandarin). Sadly, he also exhibited a pragmatism and a willingness to place his country over party ideology that doomed him.

I'm also sorry to see Jim Webb leave the public stage, although I don't know what he'll do next. His full-throated support of the rank-and-file military and veterans and his pragmatic approach in general will be missed. It would please me greatly if he would run for president.
Agreed on Jim Webb. Not sure he wants to deal with all the political bs though.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Neither thanks.
Seriously, I will not vote for Clinton. That would be ethically wrong (Bill Clinton said you get two for the price of one, and I took him on his word). The only person who could force me to do it, would be another Bush. This all smacks of the thinking an a banana republic.

How about Christie, Rubio, or Bloomberg against Castro, Warren, or VillaRaigosa? Give someone else a friggin chance!!!!!!
I'm with you on this.
I don't actually mind Hillary so bad, but I think these familial political quasi-dynasties are very bad for the country. I won't even comment on Jeb Bush (apart from the fact that he'd make a better Prez than his brother...needless to say, I guess).

Old 11-08-2012, 11:16 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I just threw up in my mouth a little......
And what makes you think anybody wanted or needed to know that?

Old 11-08-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Yeah I thought about that as well. But as long as she stays in the political spotlight (Like Mitt after he lost the 2008 primary) she would be all set up. It's hard to say how it will unfold but personally I would like to see Jon Huntsman(R) VS a Julian Castro type candidate. It would make for a good race with a hopefully moderate outcome regardless of winner.

Good thread Wnewberry22! [Can't rep you again...dang]

Great to read people's ideas instead of the usual braindead shouting matches.

I suspect that Huntman would win that matchup, unless Castro comes on strong as a statemen. The reason Obama was on the fast track was that he blew people away with his oratory and vision at the 2004 convention. I did not hear such praise about Castro.

Americans have a sense of fairness, I think, and after 8 years of Obama, they may be open to leadership going to the GOP. It really depends upon whether the GOP scares the hell out of everyone again. Huntsman will strike people as someone who is impressive, but who never got full consideration in 2012. They will give him a look, and if he does not do anthing stupid, like select a Tea Party VP, will likely be the candidate they thought they had in Romney. Depending upon how Obama does this term his association with Obama will be either a strong asset, or liability.

Castro would likely lose, but the exposure would be great, and the hispanic community would be very engaged. I do think that a Texan of Mexican origin will get more traction than Rubio of Cuban heritage. Most hispanic voters are solid democrats, from humble origins in Mexico and other latin countries. However, Obama was certainly able to appeal to American blacks,even though his pedigree was quite different (I am sure Michelle helps a lot with that).

Time will tell which of these potential candidates shows the sort of political talent it takes.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I saw an interview with Huntsman during the campaign and I thought he was a very realistic and sensible national candidate. At first I thought he was just Romney light but he came off as much more engaging and less fake.

Oh, and his daughter is gorgeous.

Sorry, had to say it.

Wow, I googled them and my eyes popped out. They are like Charlies Angel's.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/poli...q-january-2012

As a Dad, that would scare the hell out of me! The horndogs would be coming out of the woodwork!

Well, I already like the guy for what he did to the gene pool!

Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
I think a Jeb Bush or Huntsman would be a good pick for the GOP come 2016.

I think Clinton has the inside track to win the primaries for the Dems, too....

Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I think a Jeb Bush or Huntsman would be a good pick for the GOP come 2016.

I think Clinton has the inside track to win the primaries for the Dems, too....
I think she would lose the general against anyone except Jeb Bush.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:33 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I saw an interview with Huntsman during the campaign and I thought he was a very realistic and sensible national candidate. At first I thought he was just Romney light but he came off as much more engaging and less fake.

Oh, and his daughter is gorgeous.

Sorry, had to say it.
Which one? He has 5 or 6 daughters.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:34 AM

531 posts, read 501,384 times
Bush? Clinton? What is this the 1990s?

Try Rubio v. O'Malley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections