Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,152,937 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised someone hasn't just flat out asked this question and I think it bears some discussion. Throughout American history when one party loses the election, all people involved from government to the populace hopes and wants whomever is in charge a successful administration that will keep American strong. Yes, there will always be political bickering, but the two sides would eventually come together for the greater good.

This past election shows just how much American has changed. The 2008 election was about "Hope" and "Change." The only hope was for President Obama to be a one term president and the only change was to sheer disgust for the office of the Presidency. The 2012 election cycle has been even worse. We have a 1. sitting president openly being called racial slurs by our fellow so called "leaders." We had 2. an opponent by and large who would say whatever any crowd wanted to hear. Finally, we have 3. a populace top to bottom that's uninformed.

That is a combination for disaster waiting to happen. Politics for the most part is all about bait and switch. Throughout the years it has been difficult to bait and switch the populace outside of the die hards on both sides of the coin. Today, it is easier. Over the years Americans have become soft, devoid of personal responsibility and constantly look for someone to blame for their own circumstance. Blaming the President has always been an easy choice but throughout history, that has always been put into perspective. 2012, the President gets blamed for so much as a traffic jam. It's always somehow his fault. This has heightened over the past few months of the election cycle with the far right pushing ad after ad claiming the dooming of America and trying to pin all of her ills on the incumbent. Hypocrisy at its best. Stop and think about self for a second with this. If someone were to tell you, you are voting for this person strictly because you love handouts and welfare and SNAP and then turning around and whispering to his devout followers, I'm not talking about you guys, just him. Knowing good and well his devout followers eat at the government trough more than any other group, how would you react? Would you just be silent or would you call them out. The average person would just call and spade a spade.

What I've just mentioned is nothing new in Politics. This happens every cycle. The great thing about this past election cycle is that we as a country are now more diverse and more tolerant. Even with the plight of the far right, this country still chose to at least on the surface look past skin color and made the best personal choice they could. Now here's where the far right has changed drastically. Normally after any election cycle, the defeated party, at least in the open espouses to work together and throw their support behind the administration that will be in charge. This election cycle, what we have is a far right unwilling to come to the table, unwilling to put what's best for the country ahead of petty hatred. Even the far right voters still get childlike in this regard. Instead of trying to put the cycle behind them and come up with ideas for a better America, you have those that still constantly try to add fuel to the fire, unwilling to put their own petty prejudices aside for the greater good of the country. Those very same that would rather see their country fall apart and burn to ashes than to see this Democratic President successful.

THAT, is un-American! You know, it's actually taken from the far right, that moniker. If you didn't support the Iraq war, you were un-American. If you felt as if the military was getting too big, you were un-American. Now, I use this for that same far right. Any American who would rather see his country burn in flames is un-American. No true American would ever want to see her fall. The people spoke, your candidate lost and instead of getting a congrats on a hard campaign, we get top dawgs like Donald Trump calling for Revolution and claiming that wasn't democracy. Well to the far right, this presidential election has transpired the same way as all elections. The people voted, the electoral college went the way of its people. THAT IS DEMOCRACY! Just because your guy loses does not mean democracy didn't happen. It's not democracy only when you come out on top. Time to put the big drawers on and ditch the Pampers. Time to stop wishing ill on this country and stand behind the President to help create a stronger America because right now, as far as I can tell, the far right at the most anti-america group going at the present time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 10:58 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,515,161 times
It's been getting a little The Turner Diaries-ish out there.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:10 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
You mean the people who have been threatening to move their money and/or themselves out of the country? The ones who are fantasizing about secession? The ones who are fervently praying for the U.S. to collapse into civil war?

Clearly they're the most patriotic Americans there are.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:16 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
You mean the people who have been threatening to move their money and/or themselves out of the country? The ones who are fantasizing about secession? The ones who are fervently praying for the U.S. to collapse into civil war?

Right now, I don't think they are very patriotic. They are Republicans first and Americans second and would love nothing more for this country to fail so they can say "I told you so.".

Everytime I see one of these ranting/raving posts - I think about Karl Rove in the middle of his breakdown.

Childish and full of anger and denial. Maybe they will work though those 5 stages of grief after all.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 AM

121 posts, read 152,991 times
People advocating violence against fellow citizens aren't patriotic at all. These are fanatical ideologists and people who just want to see the world burn if they can't have their way. The reaction isn't too different from when you were in kindergarten and the fat kid knocks over the blocks and leaves in a huff to go back home when they have an argument. Except the "blocks" in this case is the U.S. and it's no game.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:20 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post

How soon people forget. Remember the Bush years when the far left was threatening to do the very same thing? I don't like extremest on either side, but you can't single out one without recognizing that the other is exactly the same. I remember several celebrities that were going to leave the country if Bush was reelected. I could say that the far left is anti-American.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:30 AM

121 posts, read 152,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
How soon people forget. Remember the Bush years when the far left was threatening to do the very same thing? I don't like extremest on either side, but you can't single out one without recognizing that the other is exactly the same. I remember several celebrities that were going to leave the country if Bush was reelected. I could say that the far left is anti-American.
I don't recall lots of people on the left leaving msgs on internet forums and comment sections on news articles threatening violent revolution with guns or murder. That is exactly what is happening with the fringe elements on the right as we speak.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:32 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
More than the far Left is.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Right now, I don't think they are very patriotic. They are Republicans first and Americans second and would love nothing more for this country to fail so they can say "I told you so.".

Everytime I see one of these ranting/raving posts - I think about Karl Rove in the middle of his breakdown.

Childish and full of anger and denial. Maybe they will work though those 5 stages of grief after all.

How ridiculous? This is flat out ignorance. Every damn Republican I know wants this country to be the country of success and well being. We want it to be a prosperous country. Most of the Republicans seem to be more patriotic than Democrats. I remember well when Democrats were accusing Republicans of being too patriotic. I think Democrats are less patriotic than Republicans. If this country fails we as Republicans fail also, and I sure as hell do not want to fail and lose my money and I don't know anyone else that wants that either. So your post is pure ignorance.

We want someone that can put this country back on track and I don't think your man Obama is capable of doing that. We tried to put someone in there that we thought would be able to improve this country. We lost and we have to move onward. We are stuck with what we have so I hope he will do something this time.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:41 AM

Lets look at something. Here is what some democrats had to say about leaving the country if Romney is elected.
Read the ignorant post of your fellow democrats. I guess Canada was the winner here. It avoided getting a lot of dumb ass new citizens that would lower the quality of life there.

.Leavin’ on a jet plane: Obama supporters vow exodus from US if Romney wins | Twitchy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections