Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:47 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times

Advertisements

Nah, I would not call it a landslide. But the electoral split was larger than I expected. I was thinking maybe 280-290 for Obama, not 332. Given that of all the battleground states, Obama won all except NC, I would say it was surprisingly decisive, but no not a landslide.

The demographic trajectories are what I think should give the GOP pause. Given the shifts in plan, I think they cannot plan to keep winning national elections with the divisive, far right lunacy we saw most of this cycle. Obama had some real vulnerabilities, but still prevailed decisively, probably because the GOP scared the hell out of people. And I think Krauthammer's phrase of "the Latino Problem" is arrogant and superficial. You cannot just pander to them. They have to feel genuinely welcome, and that would require retooling the whole Fox/Limbaugh propaganda machine which aims to blame nonwhites and liberals for all America's problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 07:06 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yet another meme that to me shows the capacity of the left to engage in lunacy is the idea that this was a "landslide" victory.

Pres Obama was re-elected by a popular vote of 50.6% to 47.9% for Romney. 62.1 million votes to 58.8 million for Romney.

The 2004 election of Bush-Cheney vs. Kerry-Edwards was very close to these numbers. W Bush beat Kerry by 50.7 to 48.3, 62 million to 59 million. Nobody I know of called that a "landslide." Everyone, R's and D's alike, characterized it as a continuation of the 50-50, deeply divided nation. What has changed?
Bush claims mandate, sets 2nd-term goals / 'I earned capital in this campaign, political capital, and now I intend to spend it' - SFGate

Karl's A Rover On A Bush Mandate Mission - New York Daily News

Victory gives Bush mandate to charge on

Mainstream media continued to echo conservative claim of Bush "mandate" | Research | Media Matters for America

From Salon:

So what would a real mandate look like? [Charles] Krauthammer helpfully explained on Fox News Sunday the weekend after President Bush was reelected in 2004:

I think it was a huge issue that the president was weak in his first term. He had less of the power and strength and capital, as he speaks of, than he does today. And now that he’s been elected with a large majority, or a significant majority, and with a mandate, I think part of that mandate is to get the right judges, by his likes.

Just sayin'.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:14 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Was Pres. Obama's win a 'landslide?' .............
Considering how the right were convinced they had it completely "in the bag" and Romney hadn't even written a concession speech......... YEP, landslide.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:33 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
How many electoral votes can stand on the head of a pin?
Well, this time 206 electoral votes stood on the shoulders of a pin-head!

Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yet another meme that to me shows the capacity of the left to engage in lunacy is the idea that this was a "landslide" victory.

Pres Obama was re-elected by a popular vote of 50.6% to 47.9% for Romney. 62.1 million votes to 58.8 million for Romney.

The 2004 election of Bush-Cheney vs. Kerry-Edwards was very close to these numbers. W Bush beat Kerry by 50.7 to 48.3, 62 million to 59 million. Nobody I know of called that a "landslide." Everyone, R's and D's alike, characterized it as a continuation of the 50-50, deeply divided nation. What has changed?
of course it wasn't a landslide...There are several states that could have gone either way: Fl, and OH for starters as well as yes, NC could have gone Obama. In fact I think I sis aw somewhere, a landslide is considered 6 points or more. I could be wrong.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 PM

605 posts, read 705,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Considering how the right were convinced they had it completely "in the bag" and Romney hadn't even written a concession speech......... YEP, landslide.
^ This!

Many pundits on the left were predicting a close margin for Obama while many pundits on the right were predicting a clean sweep for Romney - and a couple even used the term "landslide". When I first heard that Romney didn't write a concession speech, I thought I heard wrong, and that it was just a fabricated story from the left. Then I saw the video of Romney on the plane... wow. Romney... I like that egg on your face!

Old 11-12-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
first of all, that was not the question: no, regardless of what one side or another side thought, there are guidelines that determine a landslide, not opinions held by a candidate and 2, most candidates do not write consession speeches prior to the election. Where did you get the idea they do? Their speech writers have ideas of course, but they don't actually put them on paper.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
^ This!

Many pundits on the left were predicting a close margin for Obama while many pundits on the right were predicting a clean sweep for Romney - and a couple even used the term "landslide". When I first heard that Romney didn't write a concession speech, I thought I heard wrong, and that it was just a fabricated story from the left. Then I saw the video of Romney on the plane... wow. Romney... I like that egg on your face!
OMG, I can't get over where some of you get your ideas or how little the public knows about how a campaign is run. Maybe it is time they start teaching campaign knowledge in school?

How many of you have ever run for public office, ran a campaign, worked on a campaign (othert than as a volunteer) or know anything about how they are run?

Old 11-12-2012, 02:27 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
A bunch of the usual mindless partisan bickering over nothing.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Does it really matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections