Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Indeed. Part of the key to George W. Bush's success in getting elected is the oft derided feeling people felt "he'd be good to have a beer with". But what that really translates to is that he seemed like he'd be comfortable with and could understand people from all walks of life, and so people felt he'd understand them and be capable of representing their interests, which is important if you're going to be the leader of a whole country full of lots of different kinds of people. That's what leaders are made of and GWB looked like he had that quality.

Of course, the reality of his presidency didn't quite meet that impression some people had of him, but it's worth remembering sometimes how he got elected in the first place.
It went beyond have a beer, see many of us need to see a POTUS who could have a beer in ANY neighborhood, any demographic group, and be equally comfortable.

Now execution of duties is a separate issue, but not once in 8 years did I see W treating the 53% distinct from the 47%. As a member of the former group, I found that an admirable W trait.

His dad did not share it. Perhaps, having to overcome personal problems humanized W in a way his father never had to encounter. Maybe we need to seek others who have not led a "silver spoon"' existence (that goes for both parties, Gore Jr down here is properly despised, while his dad was adored. His dad had to WORK for what he accomplsihed. Romney's dad was in the same boat. Both "kids" IMO displayed the traits of spoiled rotten, silver spoon kids of self-made men.).

Old 11-28-2012, 11:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Sam e way that Gore:id and Kerry did in the past. I don't see Obama getting the mandate he did in 2008 tho. Clearly the voters don't trust him with that seeing results.Its now Obama to fial or fail and no one will remmebr who the majority leader fo the senate was or who the house speaker was.Deomcrats really need to stop campaignig and start leading with results o the3 econmy.If they can't live up to what Harry Truman said then they are lose the future.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,463 times
I am so tired of listening to the whining over Romney's loss. So much conjecture, speculation and conspiracy theories.

Did it ever occur to the stupid Republican Party and those that supported Romney that he was just a ruse of a candidate? Did it ever occur to them that a legitimate candidate who really offered true and honest change would have won? Did it ever occur to them that Romney had a liberal record on taxes, Cap and Trade, gay marriage, gay rights, quotas, gun control, immigration. Did they not notice that the "conservative leaders" tried to portray him as something he was not - a "severe conservative"?

No wonder 3 million Republicans stayed home. What was the point? Obviously, they didn't buy what Romney was selling. I happen to not be in a swing state and voted for a third party candidate.

Don't they know that we saw him for what he was, a Progressive who would have set the party back for decades? He would have come into the WH hiding under a mantle of being a conservative and carried out his big government agenda that he had going on in Massachusetts.

I don't necessarily endorse Marco Rubio, but he had it right that many cannot find a job and are not necessarily wanting a handout. Who in the world is going to work their backsides off when the government (of BOTH parties) stymies personal growth? Why not vote for the candidate who offers a cushion while waiting for the economy to recover?

If you listened or read one of the debate transcripts between Romney and Obama, you would have seen Romney's lame answer to the young college boy wanting to know what guarantee Romney could give him on getting a job after graduation. After Romney ran around the farmyard a little while, he only ended up telling the boy he knew HOW to create jobs, but he NEVER told him HOW he would do it. Lame, lame, lame.

I am glad he lost. Now, let us see if the Republicans are really serious about the country or if they are also part of the problem. I suspect they are part of the duopoly problem.

And if anyone wants to go the route of voter fraud, just look a little deeper at what Romney pulled off during the Republican primaries. What goes around comes around. He got his comeuppance.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:56 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
I will write this before I read the thread....because of the "minorities" is why they lost lol!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I will write this before I read the thread....because of the "minorities" is why they lost lol!
After you read the thread, what did you think?

Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
What I don't know is how entrenched some of these extreme views are in the republican electorate as a whole. One of my co-workers, with whom we were in about equal in our career and life position with very similar histories and work experience, we often went to lunch and discussed politics. When the whole Bachman thing about the Muslim Brotherhood penetrating the US government came up, I mentioned how stupid this was and not supported by any real facts. He told me that he was in complete agreement with her allegations. I could never get him to explain his reasoning for his support of this idiotic theory.
When people (or posters) can't offer a rational explanation for their view on an issue, it suggests an "unspeakable" motive imo. Sound familiar?

Old 11-28-2012, 06:12 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
When people (or posters) can't offer a rational explanation for their view on an issue, it suggests an "unspeakable" motive imo. Sound familiar?
Could be. He was a staunch Catholic. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Democrats did not cause the crash - it was a deregulated Wall Street run wild. This was responsible for rising unemployment in 2008 which peaked in October 2009. Then repubs, fearing its success, fought the stimulus bill and successfully watered it down.
Blaming the "housing bubble" is just republicans diverting blame from their own Wall Street base.

Greece, with a population of 11 million has more hard-working people than our 300+ million? This sounds like more Fox/Romney "Americans are slackers" crap.
Have you ever heard of the Community Reinvestment Act? That is the root of the housing collapse. banks were forced to give loans to those that could not afford them. The banks were not about to get stuck with these bad loans so they found ways to sell them and get them off their books. There were plenty of regulations in place that should have stopped the bundling of these bad loans. The credit rating agencies rated these bad instruments A rated. The SEC should have stepped in but the governemnt can't get out of its own way.
What the hell does the number of people in a country have to do with what percentage are on the dole? Democrats are so dumb.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
The banks made that acts' effects 20x as bad, by using Enron "ish" tactics to sell the stuff, LYING to buyers, betting against BUYERS, so while the Act had awful consequences, what was a bad cold became pneumonia due SOLELY to the banks. the ratings agencies who gave them phony ratings should have been finished as a result, like Arthur Andersen. Like AA, they breeched a sacred trust.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:55 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Have you ever heard of the Community Reinvestment Act? That is the root of the housing collapse. banks were forced to give loans to those that could not afford them. The banks were not about to get stuck with these bad loans so they found ways to sell them and get them off their books. There were plenty of regulations in place that should have stopped the bundling of these bad loans. The credit rating agencies rated these bad instruments A rated. The SEC should have stepped in but the governemnt can't get out of its own way.
What the hell does the number of people in a country have to do with what percentage are on the dole? Democrats are so dumb.
Show me where banks were REQUIRED to make "no doc loans", "liar loans", zero collateral loans, etc. Show me where they were REQUIRED to bundle that toxic waste, con rating agencies, insure them and then unload them on unsuspecting suckers. The bankers greed caused the crash not the unsophisticated rubes the banks were enticing to sign contracts THEY CREATED. You know, there is a principle in law that says the party that creates a defective contract is responsible for the harm it creates.

Just what law or regulation required them to sell loans to completely unqualified buyers? Please cite the exact provision(s) here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections