Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 AM

630 posts, read 1,265,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Romney lost because he didn't promise voters any free stuff. There's just too much pond scum out there looking for a free ride.

Here's a few questions for YOU. Do you believe term limits for the presidency should be eliminated? Would you vote to enable Barack Hussein Obama to become POTUS permanently? Would you be satisfied if Obama could select his successor?
What does that question have to do with the thread? I really don't understand what you're getting at. And, no, of course not. But I don't recall ever saying I advocated ending term limits in my original post.........

Old 11-26-2012, 11:11 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The country has changed for the worst, morally and demographically.
What exactly do you mean demographically?

Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
Romney lost because he didn't promise voters any free stuff. There's just too much pond scum out there looking for a free ride.

Here's a few questions for YOU. Do you believe term limits for the presidency should be eliminated? Would you vote to enable Barack Hussein Obama to become POTUS permanently? Would you be satisfied if Obama could select his successor?
Yep, only 20 minutes after I posted facetiously, someone loyally showed up to say it with a straight face!

And even you know that those questions you're asking are silly. If you don't, well, you need to get out more.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:17 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Population density.
Cities voted overwhelmingly Obama. Rual America for Romney. Different needs and priorities.
City dwellers rely much heavier on the gov than rual people.
Rual folks often provide their own water, sewage and garbage removal. WE have less need for large expensive police, fire and sanitation depts.
The bottom line is Rual Americans enjoy much fewer Gov programs. That makes Obama less desirable.
I don't mean any of the above as a condemnation of city people just stating the facts. Rual people due to the nature of the lives we have chosen rely less on the fed. Most Cities would go bust without Fed dollars to keep them floating.
Yeah, those rural people are somethin' else, they throw their burned out washers and dryers in the woods with the rest of their garbage, even dump their old cars in the woods, drink out of muddy cow and horse hoof prints, melt snow to wash clothes in, then dump their soapy water on the ground and still use 5 gallon buckets as human waste containers.
Collect food stamps.
Get heating assistance to warm their cabins in the woods.

Those are some backward republicans allright.

Quote:

Wonder if they'll ever evolve as human beings?

Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,905,307 times
Quote:

What an absolute wagon-full of crap.
No one is suggesting that Obama become "President for life". Where did you get that from? Nor is anyone suggesting that he choose his successor?
Seriously, where do you come up with this stuff?

Old 11-26-2012, 11:21 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
This is what I've heard from Republicans. Some are spot on, some are stupid as hell

Reasonable: Romney didn't give people a reason to vote for him.
Stupid: Obama got all the illegal aliens to vote for him (yes, this is real)
Reasonable: The GOP isn't reaching out to growing minority blocks
Stupid: Black people voted for him just because he's black
(this ,of course, ignores the large levels of black support for every white Democratic nominee before Obama)

Stupid: v0t3R FrAUd!!!!!!!!
Stupider: Obama giving gifts hurr durr (translation: I have no concept of government)
Reasonable: The Obama campaign was much better than Romney's
Reasonable: The GOP has focused too much on sideshow issues that paint them as extreme
Stupidest: The end of traditional America! (courtesy of Bill O'Reilly)
Even as one opposed to Obama, the reasonable ones are correct. A couple of the stupid ones have a modicum of truth to them but also, he alienated lots of women and, in my opinion, hasn't noticed that the old 'religious right' isn't so very religious anymore in actuality, so that wasn't the star he should have hitched his wagon to.
As an atheist, I had to sort of hold my nose while voting for him.

Both ran irritating negative campaigns and Romney should have highlighted the financial situation much more than he did.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:45 AM

630 posts, read 1,265,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Even as one opposed to Obama, the reasonable ones are correct. A couple of the stupid ones have a modicum of truth to them but also, he alienated lots of women and, in my opinion, hasn't noticed that the old 'religious right' isn't so very religious anymore in actuality, so that wasn't the star he should have hitched his wagon to.
As an atheist, I had to sort of hold my nose while voting for him.

Both ran irritating negative campaigns and Romney should have highlighted the financial situation much more than he did.
There are granules of truth in the stupid reasons but they are taken out of context, blown out of proportion or painted unfairly as negative.

The gifts thing is a good example. Obama ran on protecting certain entitlements, but so did Romney. The Ryan plan would have seriously reduced medicare benefits for future beneficiaries while not touching the payout for people currently in the program. Seeing as senior citizens were a strong Romney block, you could argue that older conservatives were voting for "gifts" as well. Ezra Klein wrote a great Op-Ed about this.

Another example is "traditional America." Conservatives lament the loss of traditional America as if it's a bad thing. The problem is that this America was whiter, more traditional and had a tendency to marginalize racial, ethnic, religious and sexual minorities. If Obama's win brought these previously forgotten individuals into the mainstream, then I for one am glad that traditional America is gone.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:50 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
The Repub Party does NOT represent us.

They sell out to idiots like the Religious Right, and lose all the social liberals, and give away an election they had no intention of winning anyway.

Of course, there IS no Repub Party--the Republicrat Party is totally in charge, and tell us exactly what President and legislators we'll get, since it doesn't matter which Clone wins the election.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:53 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Yep, only 20 minutes after I posted facetiously, someone loyally showed up to say it with a straight face!

And even you know that those questions you're asking are silly. If you don't, well, you need to get out more.
We can't tell who is being silly, because there WILL be posters who believe every possible variation of opinion.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:58 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,011,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Population density.
Cities voted overwhelmingly Obama. Rual America for Romney. Different needs and priorities.
City dwellers rely much heavier on the gov than rual people.
Rual folks often provide their own water, sewage and garbage removal. WE have less need for large expensive police, fire and sanitation depts.
The bottom line is Rual Americans enjoy much fewer Gov programs. That makes Obama less desirable.
I don't mean any of the above as a condemnation of city people just stating the facts. Rual people due to the nature of the lives we have chosen rely less on the fed. Most Cities would go bust without Fed dollars to keep them floating.
TinMan you are laughable.. Rural communities rely on AGRICULTURE.. Which is more dependent than anything on FEDERAL subsidies which comes from TAXDOLLARS and GOVERNMENT MONEY... I'm from Kansas and realize how idiotic this state is when it bashes large government because it sure would not survive without it.. And it likes adding laws about what should be legal and not legal in your bedroom too... No wonder Republicans may not win a major election for a decade or more..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections