Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:55 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times

Advertisements

If Mia Love, who couldn't win running as a Republican in Utah of all places is the future of the GOP, that's not saying a whole lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
You think choosing a Hispanic somehow erases the GOP record of hostility to Hispanics? Did Albert Gonzalez as Attorney General help any? I think this tokenism thing should be ditched. I don't think it is working. You either get on the side of Hispanics or don't expect many votes.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I would find Cuomo rather odious and would not support him in a primary since I think he is a backstabber. I will probably vote for Hillary if she runs, if Hillary doesn't run I will probably vote for Schweitzer if neither of them run I have no idea who I will vote for.
Schweitzer is an interesting guy. I think he is a liberal populist, a rare combination.

He's a very western guy in his thoughts and policies; he was against gun control as Governor, but was also quick to veto Montana social issues legislation. (He used an electric branding iron as a veto stamp, and it set the vetoed bills afire.) He's also very pro-America in mining, especially mining the rare minerals needed so much today.
All that has appeal in the red western states and in the rural states nationally, but it remains to be seen if he would appeal to urban liberals. He has a lot of charisma, for sure, and would be a completely different alternative to the other possible contenders.

I think that the Democrats may have similar problems post-Obama as the Repubs have had. Bush won his second term handily, and was a major figure who was controversial but dominated the stage, for good or bad. Obama is the same in this. Like him or not Obama commands the stage.

Trying to find another candidate after having a very commanding President is hard for either party, especially after a 2-term presidency. After 8 years, voters often want a change. But the Republicans are so fragmented now that the right Democrat could steal away a lot of the party's moderate middle, and Scweitzer might be the guy who could accomplish that. He was a popular Governor who was term limited out of office. I'm sure he would have won a 3rd term if he had been able to run again.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
Electoral results in 2004 were 227 for Bush, 204 for Kerry. Vs 300 for Obama, 200 for Romney. I don't think Bush won re-election handily. And there's a lingering suspicion that some states like Ohio were fixed.

I just hope nothing lowers the public satisfaction with Obama to the level of Bush which dropped to match that of Harry Truman in his second term. Anything better than that is a win.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
You wouldn't support Ron Paul but you will support Rand because he is very similar to Romney who you also supported. I refuse to back Rand because he isn't like his father. I hope Andrew Napolitano or someone along those lines runs.
You won't support Rand because he isn't like his father and that is why I would support him. Andrew Napolitano isn't quite what you think he is I don't think. I saw him on FOX a few days ago.That being said, he has no political experience. You don't start at the top...of you shouldn't anyway..Have you ever heard of a person being named the CEO of the largest company in the world when he/she has not experience at the job or related jobs..???

Old 01-28-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Rand is very much like his father, he would be in position to be the president that Reagan never was.
I don't know enough about him to know his true beliefs but I don't see him as being as extreme as his father and I certainly do not see him as being much like Romney as Rebell does. I think to Rebel, anyone that isn't Ron Paul is like Romney...maybe I don't see it right, I don't know.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Hillary in a landslide. Then we get to troll yall know-knowings another 8 years.
I don't know what her winning by a landslide has to do with this thread. it isn't about who will win, it is about who will be the first to start organizing a committee..Right now, we are all just speculating...

Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
You think choosing a Hispanic somehow erases the GOP record of hostility to Hispanics? Did Albert Gonzalez as Attorney General help any? I think this tokenism thing should be ditched. I don't think it is working. You either get on the side of Hispanics or don't expect many votes.
and do you forget the % of Hispanic votes Bush got? How do you think Susanna won running away in NM? Of course the right Hispanic on the ticket would help..how do you think the new Senator in Texas got elected if it wasn't for hispanic votes?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:40 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Rand is very much like his father, he would be in position to be the president that Reagan never was.
Rand Paul is a tea bagger whack job who considers himself both a Libertarian and a Conservative... which is fine if you don't mind that he embodies the worst qualities of both! For one, he thinks we should repeal the Civil Rights Act, and for another, he believes that good ol’ white people who don’t want to serve black people in their restaurants, should be lauded for "standing up for their convictions"!

Or as Bill Maher describes him, "The sh*t doesn't fall far from the bat ...!"

Old 01-28-2013, 02:47 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Are you giving me the RINO litmus test? And yes, I'm a moderate Republican, starting to lean true Independent more and more. If by 2014 no good candidates are ot be found in the GOP, I'm going to be deregistering from the GOP

I left the party last year.
GOP really need to get their sh1t together for me to come back 2016!
Until then ill stay independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections