Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 05:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
There's a huge difference between clueless pundits mindlessly daydreaming because they have 24 hours a day of noise to fill and things that actually happen. I would be honestly surprised if either Clinton or Biden run in 2016.
Romney running is less likely than Hillary or Biden for that matter. You could be right about Hillary and Biden, my point: these are the names the Democrat media people keep bringing up and so do people on these types of posts. What would make anyone think Romney is any more likely to run than say, Biden? On the GOP side, next election my guess, there is only one old has been that might be running: that would be Santorum and I don't think he will either. At lot is being said about Jeb, he might run, but he isn't someone that is being recycled. He has never run for President..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 AM

910 posts, read 1,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You could be right about Hillary and Biden, my point: these are the names the Democrat media people keep bringing up and so do people on these types of posts.
Like I said: clueless pundits bloviating because they have time to fill.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:11 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,768,485 times
Default Well what do ya think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
A lot of people followed him Last time.
http://patdowns.simplesite.com/

Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
my first thought when reading the threat title was

" Which one of his sons was named Will ? "

Old 10-17-2013, 01:33 AM

742 posts, read 678,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Hopefully not, but no doubt the Republican Party will find an equally unlikeable RINO. Every election of my lifetime seems to be "hold your nose and vote," so now I vote Libertarian and have a clear conscience.

We're long overdue for Libertarians taking back our party from religious lunatics, war-mongering old men, and Big Government deal-makers with no respect for freedom or the citizen. Republicans are never going to "out-Democrat" the Democrats and RINO Romney should have made that obvious to everyone.
This.

Why would anyone think he'd be different this time around?

Obama Care Writer, I mean Flip flopper didn't wanna run anyway.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:47 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
When a rino runs, the republican loses every time. When a real conservative runs, or at least convinces people he is, they win.
No. The evidence completely destroys this assertion, at least for presidential elections.

When the Democratic opponent is not appealing enough, the Republican wins. When the national mood under a Democratic president has soured, especially if there's significant social turmoil, a Republican wins.

Reagan got a lot of Democrats to vote for him - was it because he convinced them he was a "real conservative", or was it because of something else? Like the nation being sick of the economy during the Carter years and our humiliation from the Iran hostage taking?

Bush I was despised by "real conservatives" - he was a namby-pamby Northeastern elite Rockefeller Republican to them. Yet he faced Dukakis, who was just as lukewarm a candidate as Bush, and won. Bush got Reagan coattails and Dukakis, as we know, made a fool of himself in a tank. America hates posers.

Bush II didn't campaign as a "real conservative", on the contrary, he had to campaign against that stereotype and market himself as the "compassionate conservative" to draw moderates to him, while also stressing traditional social conservative values. He didn't win Independents based on "real conservatism". And he faced Gore, who had negative coattails from Clinton and came across as a stuffy bore.

Nixon? His first term's campaign did stress hard conservative credentials, such as law and order, especially effective in opposition to the hippy culture and social upheaval of the time. The Vietnam war and America's discontent with it aided him, and he promised to end our role in it "with honor".

Eisenhower got the nomination when faced against Robert Taft. Taft was the "real conservative" among Republicans, Eisenhower wasn't. Ike went on to win the presidency.

I didn't bother with 2nd terms, because just having been president, regardless of ideology, plays a big part in getting elected. But the Republicans who won 2nd terms tended to also have less-appealing opponents, and didn't win based on being a "real conservative".

Now, what about "real conservative" candidates. Does Barry Goldwater count? He ought to, especially with his views in 1964, when he lost to Johnson. And if Nixon truly was a "real conservative", why did he lose to Kennedy in 1960, when Nixon's views were even more hard-right?

Truman won against the "soft conservative" Dewey, but Strom Thurmond was also running. Thurmond was a Dixiecrat, not a Republican, but he sure fits the mold of a "real conservative" and went on to be one of the most hard-right Republican Senators. Why didn't Thurmond win?

Hard-right conservatives either have to face the fact that ours is a moderate nation, or continue to feel thwarted. Actually, whether they face facts or not, I expect they'll continue to feel thwarted.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:11 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,347 times
Has Romney ever apologized to the 47% for insulting them?

Old 10-17-2013, 12:53 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
No. Does he have a job now?

Old 10-19-2013, 02:38 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Default Absolutely not

The man doesn't have the stomach for it, and his presence screams "SCAM I AM". They could throw $200T at his campaign, and he'd still reek in the losing effort.

The goon didn't show his taxes, relied on faulty polls, looked completely out of place with other world leaders, has nothing but disdain for all but the very wealthy, is out of touch, is a fast-talking fluff, and represents an ideology from the party of Dixie. His ideology reeks. No.

Romney wouldn't stand a chance against someone like Clinton, the first woman President, and a beloved figure.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:33 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,697 times
Romney cant win and if the Republicans do not at least give the fake appearance of being more centered, less elitist, less intolerant, and less crazy, then they don't have a chance in hell. They know that their base is going to vote Republican no matter what. Even if they hate the Republican candidate, they're going to hate the democrat 100x more. It makes no since to me that they would not even at least give the false appearance during election time that they're even remotely interested in the minority, women, gay, etc vote. It seems like they're trying to win election by trying to **** off as many people possible. The only person Obama didn't reach out to and/or make false promises to were only 1% of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections