Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 04:52 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,916,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I think they probably will. I was talking to a friend of mine who is a far-left liberal, and mentioned that I was leaning towards Ted Cruz 2016. "You know that he's a Canadian," came the response, followed by a litany of reasons why Cruz could not run for POTUS.

According to the left-leaning Politifact:
Is Ted Cruz, born in Canada, eligible to run for president? | PolitiFact

Will that stop the left from going full-birther in 2016? I doubt it. If Cruz does run, which I hope he does, it's going to make the birtherism of WND, Trump, etc look like a play toy. We're going to get birtherism from NBC, ABC, CBS, and the NYT. We're going to get birtherism espoused by the Katie Courics, the Charlie Gibsons, and the elite of the elites.
Democrats?? Are you serious? Dems would love for Cruz to win nomination, but his chances are nil, as his fellow RWNJs will go "full birther" on him.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:29 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,431,061 times
Yeah, I would LOVE for Sen. Rafael "Ted" Cruz to be the Republican nominee for POTUS. It would make Obama's electoral win over Romney look like a photo finish.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:45 AM

26,576 posts, read 14,531,473 times
Quote:
We're going to get birtherism from NBC, ABC, CBS, and the NYT. We're going to get birtherism espoused by the Katie Courics, the Charlie Gibsons, and the elite of the elites.
unlikely.

remember we've already gone thru a similar scenario with mccain. i came across this piece from the king of the birthers, jerome corsi:

Meet McCain ‘birthers’: ABC, CBS, NBC, FactCheck, N.Y. Times, more

while the question was raised in the media the overwhelming conclusion was that mccain is eligible. there is nothing to indicate that the media will suddenly go birther on cruz.

also, the only lawsuit filed challenging mccain's eligibility came from a republican, fred hollander.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:22 AM

11,109 posts, read 9,893,668 times
'Democrats'?

There are a hundred million or so registered Democrats (and Republicans) in this country.

The answer to the question:
"Will some Democrats/Republicans _________?" will always be 'yes'. Commenters, bloggers, perhaps even a gadfly office-holder or two. This is why it's a leading question. Perfect, of course, for this thread.

That said, will there be dozens of Democrats in Congress who are delusional birthers? No. Will the Democratic Party put them front and center? No. But that's the flips side of this sad and embarrassing coin - happily, that flip side doesn't exist, except in your wishes and dreams.

The Birthers in Congress - Salon.com
7 Birthers Speaking At The Republican Convention | ThinkProgress
Despite a frustrated GOP, anti-Obama 'birthers' still persist - CNN.com
Return of the Birthers | The Nation

PS - Most Democrats would be thrilled with a Cruz nomination in 2016

PPS - Anyone who thinks Cruz will come anywhere close to the GOP nomination desperately needs a clue (actually, multiple clues - in this case, a familiarity with how the GOP chooses nominees, and a little American Presidential electoral history).

PPPS - Your understanding that birtherism is completely insane, and your urgent yet futile need to try and portray the Democrats as just as mired in this intellectual morass as Republicans, is as amusing as it is telling.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,262,141 times
Quote:
I think they probably will. I was talking to a friend of mine who is a far-left liberal, and mentioned that I was leaning towards Ted Cruz 2016. "You know that he's a Canadian," came the response, followed by a litany of reasons why Cruz could not run for POTUS.

According to the left-leaning Politifact:
Is Ted Cruz, born in Canada, eligible to run for president? | PolitiFact

Will that stop the left from going full-birther in 2016? I doubt it. If Cruz does run, which I hope he does, it's going to make the birtherism of WND, Trump, etc look like a play toy. We're going to get birtherism from NBC, ABC, CBS, and the NYT. We're going to get birtherism espoused by the Katie Courics, the Charlie Gibsons, and the elite of the elites.
I hope not, I am tired of this birthing topic. If he can legally run, let's not make a deal out of it. If the law can be explained, fine. let's accept the this and get on with it!!! I didn't particularly like it when they made an issue out of Obama and I feel the same about it now. Some even wanted to make a deal out of Romney and McCain.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:19 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,431,061 times
The only people that were making a big deal out of Romney and McCain's birth status were the die hard birthers. Virtually none of that talk was coming from even the most die hard lefties.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If the law can be explained, fine.
in the opinion of the congressional research service "natural born citizen" is simply citizen at birth.

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42097.pdf

i hope that helps.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:29 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,432,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
The only people that were making a big deal out of Romney and McCain's birth status were the die hard birthers. Virtually none of that talk was coming from even the most die hard lefties.
I recall virtually no controversy about McCain's eligibility from either side. But there were some on the left who tried to bring it up.

Daily Kos: Birtherism: 2008 smokescreen for McCain's birth in Panama#
Daily Kos: The Bombshell on McCain's Birth Certificate

McCain's birthplace in Panama Canal Zone raises eligibility questions - Democratic Underground

John Mccain and Panama

Old 02-12-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I recall virtually no controversy about McCain's eligibility from either side. But there were some on the left who tried to bring it up.]
and on the right. as i stated before the only lawsuit arguing mccain's eligibility came from a republican.

it should be noted that there were special circumstances in mccain's case. in 1936, the year of mccain's birth, congress specifically considered canal zone births "US nationals" and not "US citizens". in 1938 the law was changed and made retroactive. any distinction between the two obviously didn't matter to 2008 congress. the non-binding resolution on the matter ( co-sponsored by obama and hillary clinton ) passed unanimously and without debate.

here is the tribe/olson memo, the only thing submitted for that resolution.

[scribd]25457698[/scribd]

Old 02-15-2014, 08:28 PM

6,273 posts, read 5,104,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
As always, liberals will make any campaign about anything but the issues. It's the only way they have a chance at winning.
You're right - total deflection and division.

This upcoming election and the big one in 2016 I think will be watershed elections. Not because a female Democrat will be running for president, but because the citizens of this country who have been paying attention will be.........paying attention.

Whoever has real and tangible solutions to the problems facing this country (the real problems, and not the made up ones), whoever stands tall to the trashing they will face by other pols and the media and confronts it head on, whoever speaks the truth, whoever has a damn SPINE, will prevail.

Voters (I hope) have learned a lot over the past few years. They can recognize spin and partisanship and know when these idiots are lying. They know. They just do.

I don't want to hear any more crap from politicians. I don't care what gender they are, what race they are, how fat or thin or old or young they are. I want someone who has grown a set over the years because I'm sick of these candy-ass, me-me-me, lying, corrupt morons.

We must demand more of our elected officials. We must. Or they'll own us.

It's not freakin' rocket science. Cruz - bring it on and let the chips fall where they may. Give me the truth. Solve the problems facing the country. Just do it. Represent everybody - those who agree with you and those who don't. Because we're all Americans and we deserve better than the slop Washington is handing to us now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections