Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:56 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,754,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I agree with you 100%, but there was still a difference, as I have said.
What was the difference?

Old 02-18-2014, 11:01 AM

4,629 posts, read 12,328,142 times
I don't think so, because he's a naturalized citizen born to an American parent. This issue was solved years ago when Nixon used it against George Romney.
I do find the power of the media as amazing when you consider how many people still today believe Obama was born in Kenya. I think if Fox news told everyone to jump off a bridge there would be traffic jambs throughout America getting to them.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:31 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,898,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I honestly don't think nmnita is a birther, but she refuses to call out other Republicans when they do or say heinous things. The fact she is trying to pass blame at Obama for not putting it to bed keeping the birthers going is absolutely asinine. You don't get anymore absolute in proof than a state certified and verified offical birth certificate
I might have given posters like this the benefit of the doubt five years ago, but after all this time, with two birth certificates released and confirmation of authenticity from a myriad of Hawaiian officials from both side of the political spectrum, anyone who still contends that there is reasonable doubt as to whether his eligibility has been proven is, in my book, a birther.

And if all she is doing is providing political cover for birthers, then that makes her worse than a birther, because she is helping to prop up these despicable claims instead of refuting them outright, as anyone who isn't a birther would do.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:16 PM

26,581 posts, read 14,500,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I don't think so, because he's a naturalized citizen born to an American parent.
cruz wasn't naturalized. his US citizenship came "at birth" thru US law:

"A child born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under Section 301(g) of the INA..."

Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship by a Child Born Abroad

Old 02-18-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I do find the power of the media as amazing when you consider how many people still today believe Obama was born in Kenya.
i'd say that this is more a demonstration of the power of the web than of the media. with few exceptions the only time fox has played up birtherism is in it's coverage of donald trump's buffoonery ( and even then you had greta van susteren trying to call trump out on his stupidity ).

Old 02-18-2014, 12:29 PM

39,124 posts, read 51,378,265 times
I think Cruz is eligible to run. But I also believe that his foreign birth will hurt him in an election. Is he a Molson swiller or a Pearl man? I want to know who he was rooting for in the ice dancing yesterday.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:52 PM

4,629 posts, read 12,328,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
cruz wasn't naturalized. his US citizenship came "at birth" thru US law:

"A child born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under Section 301(g) of the INA..."

Correct, my error. This is what I meant.
Natural-born-citizen clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-18-2014, 01:55 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,172,123 times
Quote:
this is what I find unreal, EVEN IF Obama was born in Kenya, his citizenship would've been conferred from his mother, who no one questions was an american citizen. So why is it, that the birthers have gone away, when Cruz was born out of the US to an american mother? I can only draw one conclusion...

Old 02-18-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
..., EVEN IF Obama was born in Kenya, his citizenship would've been conferred from his mother, who no one questions was an american citizen.
in this hypothetical the birthers would actually have a point. in 1961 stanley ann dunham was a few months shy of the age requirement to automatically confer US citizenship to a birth abroad.

" For birth between December 24, 1952 and November 13, 1986, a period of ten years, five after the age of fourteen, is required for physical presence in the United States or one of its outlying possessions to transmit U.S. citizenship to the child.)"

Old 02-18-2014, 02:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,005,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I honestly don't think nmnita is a birther, but she refuses to call out other Republicans when they do or say heinous things. The fact she is trying to pass blame at Obama for not putting it to bed keeping the birthers going is absolutely asinine. You don't get anymore absolute in proof than a state certified and verified offical birth certificate
anyone thinks I am a birther should be here when I get into this discussion with my husband or my son in law: it would not take long to be convinced I am anything but a birther!!! That is almost funny!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections