Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:12 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times

Advertisements

Ok, first let me state that where I live, we do not yet have problems with illegal aliens. There are a few mexican around, but I have no knowledge of their illegal status, and since the numbers I can count on one hand, I'm not as concerned as most.

That being said, if you were running for president, what would your proposal be on dealing with the illegal aliens.

1) I dont see throwing them all out viable, since our lower wage economy relies on them, and the numbers of them nationwide is huge. (I think I heard 20million somewhere but dont quote the figure)
2) Allowing them all to stay, dont see that viable either, especially since I think other areas are hurting because of the numbers.

Is there a happy medium in there somewhere? If you were running for president, how would your public statements be any different then your private thoughts? (Seriously we all know its different so dont deny it). Is this problem regional, and would you base a "compromise" based upon regions? (as I started out, we dont have a problem here)

Please dont respond with blanket statements like "throw them out" without really thinking about how you could carry out such a plan, considering that throwing them out in Texas, is obviously easier then say.. North Dakota..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 06:44 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,281,743 times
Attrition.

Remove the economic incentives for them to come illegally by:

1. Cutting off all government benefits to illegals except emergency medical care and public education for children under 18.

2. Enforce the laws against employers who hire illegals. Give these laws some teeth with heavy fines and actual jail time.

3. Make it a felony to be in the U.S. illegally so that any illegal immigrant caught here will never be able to have legal status.

4. End birthright citizenship, require at least one parent to be a citizen already.

5. Pass an amnesty, but not the usual type, but rather an amnesty that says to illegals that you can leave by a certain date and still be allowed to return to the U.S. legally at some point in the future and become a citizen or legal resident. If you stay pass that date then under the provisions of item #3 above, you will forfeit any possibility of legal status if caught.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:13 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,319,423 times
We have rented to the Mexicans, Cubans and the Puerto Ricans over the years...to give a profile on these renters I will give them a rating:

Puerto Ricans 3 on a 10 scale.
Cubans 8 on a 10 scale
Mexicans 9 on a 10 scale

The Cubans and Mexicans work hard..pay their rent on time or call and tell you why they will be late. They work more than one job. They keep the rental clean and help their neighbors. I like them...they will assimilate into our town and be a help to the community.
I wish I could have said these same things for the Puerto Ricans who never cleaned the rental in the 8 months they lived there, were late with the rent and left us with the utilitiy payments when they abandoned the house.
I hope we will see many more cubans and mexicans in our area..I will rent to them anytime...as for the others...nahh!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
We have rented to the Mexicans, Cubans and the Puerto Ricans over the years...to give a profile on these renters I will give them a rating:

Puerto Ricans 3 on a 10 scale.
Cubans 8 on a 10 scale
Mexicans 9 on a 10 scale

The Cubans and Mexicans work hard..pay their rent on time or call and tell you why they will be late. They work more than one job. They keep the rental clean and help their neighbors. I like them...they will assimilate into our town and be a help to the community.
I wish I could have said these same things for the Puerto Ricans who never cleaned the rental in the 8 months they lived there, were late with the rent and left us with the utilitiy payments when they abandoned the house.
I hope we will see many more cubans and mexicans in our area..I will rent to them anytime...as for the others...nahh!
Then your experience with Mexicans are similar to what I viewed when I spent time in Mexico..

Old 12-03-2007, 08:09 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,198,730 times
And the topic is... Immigrations and the next election

Thanks folks

Old 12-03-2007, 09:04 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
So far I fail to see any candidates coming out and giving any real specifics on what they will do. I hear alot of general ideas, alot of finger pointing about whose fault it is etc. I want specific plans.
1. Divert money from foreign aide and redirect into border patrol.
2. Pass laws that require state and local gov to enforce existing immigration laws.
3. Pass laws to allow employers to require proof of legal status.
You cant hold employers accountable if they aren't allowed to verify legal status.
Punish violators of the laws. stiff fines and up their tax bracket for 5 years.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:27 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,509,374 times
http://fred08.com/virtual/Immigration.aspx (broken link)
No Amnesty
Attrition through Enforcement
and much more. Check out the link for my plan which happens to be Fred Thompsons. He posted this after his sight was up and running not after the debates started to heat up on immigration so he's strong on the issue and not afraid to make a commitment.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:34 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ok, first let me state that where I live, we do not yet have problems with illegal aliens. There are a few mexican around, but I have no knowledge of their illegal status, and since the numbers I can count on one hand, I'm not as concerned as most.

That being said, if you were running for president, what would your proposal be on dealing with the illegal aliens.

1) I dont see throwing them all out viable, since our lower wage economy relies on them, and the numbers of them nationwide is huge. (I think I heard 20million somewhere but dont quote the figure)
2) Allowing them all to stay, dont see that viable either, especially since I think other areas are hurting because of the numbers.

Is there a happy medium in there somewhere? If you were running for president, how would your public statements be any different then your private thoughts? (Seriously we all know its different so dont deny it). Is this problem regional, and would you base a "compromise" based upon regions? (as I started out, we dont have a problem here)

Please dont respond with blanket statements like "throw them out" without really thinking about how you could carry out such a plan, considering that throwing them out in Texas, is obviously easier then say.. North Dakota..
People often don't know how extremely serious the situation is, lucky to be in area where gov. systems not overwhelmed and broken, where people still have basic needs met. My father came from ND. A trip to L.A. and other big cities is is telling. So many citizens are living a hell. Illegals overcrowded CA so much that they and citizens have fled to other states where they continue to increase. White population is growing by a minus, but Hispanic population is growing by 60+%...this is the key to doomsday they say. Illegal immigration has ruined health care for the poor in a big way and now the middle class, and has put poor on streets where families have largest growing homeless rate of 60% rise last year, social security has been stressed due to both illegals and baby boomers, SSI. Education has been overwhelmed. Welfare the same, illegals not eligible but they live off their kids welfare and have plenty of kids. Hundreds of hospitals have had to close due to illegals. A domino effect on destroying citizen's lives. Rental prices have gone up and up since '84 due purely to illegal migration. People might make half of what a cheap rental costs now. Wages have been depressed for lower wage earners and now illegals often make more than citizens in jobs. The more people that come the more government systems are broken. While some people are upset about not hearing English spoken in public, seeing only non speaking Hispanics in public and not their own kind, hearing/seeing Spanish signs music in stores...feeling they are living south of the border, that all pales in comparison to when the above problems hit you personally and all the fears of the worst criminal behaviors are here as well.

Last edited by faith10; 12-04-2007 at 10:46 PM..

Old 12-04-2007, 10:54 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,670 times
JUST LIKE EINSENHOWER AND HOOVER DEPORTED MILLIONS OF ILLEGALS, AMERICA CAN DO IT TO WITH OUR MASS TRANS SYSTEMS, including employers not hiring illegals, etc.
A multi-combination approach. To have things more like they used to be: living wages and housing! good medical care again instead of the worst care or no care! good schools again! violence down again by miles! and a thousand other problems gone!

Old 12-05-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
People often don't know how extremely serious the situation is, lucky to be in area where gov. systems not overwhelmed and broken, where people still have basic needs met.
Might explain why my city still has a reasonable cost of living for the average individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections