Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 05:13 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,623,751 times

Advertisements

BONITA SPRINGS, Fla. -- Two years ago, former first lady Barbara Bush said there had been "enough Bushes" in the White House.

On Friday night here, the family matriarch declared -- lest there be any doubt -- that she had changed her mind.

Barbara Bush: ‘I changed my mind’ about Bush dynasty - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 05:17 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,405,465 times
The real question is did the American people change their minds?

Old 02-15-2015, 05:17 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,941,788 times
I personally agree with her initial statement. I won't vote for anyone named Bush for president again.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:28 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,709,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I do not agree at all that is the reason Clinton beat Bush (a one-termer) in '92. GH Bush was considered a shoe-in after the first Gulf War. CW was that nobody could beat him. Then there was a recession and things changed. People started noticing that GH was really out of touch with the average citizen, i.e., the GH Bush 'amazement at price scanner grocery check-out' out issue. Then he kept glancing at his watch in a debate like he had better places to be. Clinton/Gore started gaining momentum late in the game and Bush could not keep up. People vote based on their wallets and their wallet size was shrinking. Suddenly young energetic guys focused on the economy looked a lot better than a tired older out of touch guy.
Ok, maybe some of that was a factor. But, after 8 years as VP, and 4 as president, people were ready for a change. Thats the way politics works sometimes. If you look at Obama, he has had an awful lot of luck in his 2 wins. The fact that he beat Hillary is a significant indicator that people don't really want her as president. I think the media has it all wrong.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,981,706 times
Guamanians, More Dems voted for (drum roll, please) Hillary Clinton than Obama in 2008. Obama won the majority of delegates, but lost the popular primary vote. I guess most Dems wanted her as president, per your 2nd to last sentence's logic.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:38 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,709,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Guamanians, More Dems voted for (drum roll, please) Hillary Clinton than Obama in 2008. Obama won the majority of delegates, but lost the popular primary vote. I guess most Dems wanted her as president, per your 2nd to last sentence's logic.
well I'd have to look at which states they each won. Hillary knows the rules... I don't think she cares about winning the popular vote. I wonder who Monica Lewinsky is going to endorse?

Old 02-16-2015, 07:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I personally agree with her initial statement. I won't vote for anyone named Bush for president again.
i agree with her first statement as well, but I can't go so far as to say I won't vote for a Bush. I would vote for Jeb if I had to choose between him and Hillary. Most Republicans and a lot fo true independants would, there are some, of course that would not. I will not support him in the primaries, that I know.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:49 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,653,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
i agree with her first statement as well, but I can't go so far as to say I won't vote for a Bush. I would vote for Jeb if I had to choose between him and Hillary. Most Republicans and a lot fo true independants would, there are some, of course that would not. I will not support him in the primaries, that I know.
If you don't mind me asking, why not? He seems like a reasonable conservative choice.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,671,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Ok, maybe some of that was a factor. But, after 8 years as VP, and 4 as president, people were ready for a change. Thats the way politics works sometimes. If you look at Obama, he has had an awful lot of luck in his 2 wins. The fact that he beat Hillary is a significant indicator that people don't really want her as president. I think the media has it all wrong.

Getting us involved in a war that was not ours to fight, and read my lips, No more taxes(and then raising taxes) Lost Bush the Conservative Independent, silent majority.. They stayed home, or assumed Clinton(still in the days a conservative Democrat existed) was more conservative than HW Bush. Perot pulled some of them away.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:59 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,653,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
You'd be correct if the Democrats dumped Hillary the second Obama looked viable, but they didn't. That was a hard fought primary. They wanted Hillary; they just wanted Obama more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections