Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:09 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,114,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
kmarc, W/O gaining a much bigger Latino share, the GOP nominee is toast. 27% ala 2012 will not elect a GOP POTUS, considering how big a lead the Blue Wall already gives Team Blue.

Mitty was self-deported by Latino Americans. How fitting.
I don't understand why people cannot grasp this basic fact. The GOP will never again win a presidential election unless we can get half the Hispanic vote. We won the Senate in November only because Obumbles is an idiot, and I suspect we will lose the House after the next Census. Eventually, if we don't change, the GOP will be confined to the status of a regional party in low population rural areas like Kansas, Alabama, upstate NY, Iowa, etc.

We have the accept the fact that it is not 1950 anymore and that the United States of 2015 is a Latin American nation just as much as it is an Anglo American nation. Times are changing ... and the GOP needs to change along with it.

Lastly, Jeb Bush doesent really have much to do with Mexicans ... he is more focus on Cubans and Puerto Ricans (who are Americans). His wife is Mexican but that's about it, Jebby is more Puerto Rican or Cuban than Mexican. Heck, he lived in Puerto Rico for several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 04:27 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,196,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Agreed. Webb has crossover appeal. Like Huntsman or Olympia Snowe on the other side. Clinton has limited appeal to the base, and zero appeal outside it.
My take is that Hillary is sort of red herring at this time. JMO, but that's how I see it. The dems are much better at "strategery" (to borrow one of shrub's malapropisms, lol). And having Hillary in the wings and uncommitted is a great way to start drawing out Republican wanna-be's. It's like JEB! couldn't stand the suspense anymore and decided to just charge, er, uh, stumble ahead. Really. Bad. Move. on his part, especially the address in spanglish. He already had a strike against him in the form of his brother, who is more despised than he realizes. The spanglish address finished him off before he got started. Again, JMO.

If the dems were really smart, they'd run Webb. They'd get a ton of discontented working class Republicans who've been repeatedly kicked in the behind and slimed by their own party.

Plus I think Webb would be good on foreign policy.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:37 PM

63,005 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't understand why people cannot grasp this basic fact. The GOP will never again win a presidential election unless we can get half the Hispanic vote. We won the Senate in November only because Obumbles is an idiot, and I suspect we will lose the House after the next Census. Eventually, if we don't change, the GOP will be confined to the status of a regional party in low population rural areas like Kansas, Alabama, upstate NY, Iowa, etc.

We have the accept the fact that it is not 1950 anymore and that the United States of 2015 is a Latin American nation just as much as it is an Anglo American nation. Times are changing ... and the GOP needs to change along with it.

Lastly, Jeb Bush doesent really have much to do with Mexicans ... he is more focus on Cubans and Puerto Ricans (who are Americans). His wife is Mexican but that's about it, Jebby is more Puerto Rican or Cuban than Mexican. Heck, he lived in Puerto Rico for several years.
How does one gain the Hispanic vote other than thumbing their noses at our immigration laws for their ethnic group? Is that what our politicians should do? You're out of your mind if you think we are just as much a Latino nation as we are a non-Latino nation. There are only about 50 million Hispanics in this country including those here illegally. We have nearly 320 million people here. Do the math. What should the GOP do to change in regards to a 50million demographic group opposed to a combined "other" 270 million group? Math wasn't your strong point I guess and no politician should put any one group above our laws to gain votes.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:30 PM

491 posts, read 320,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

The GOP certainly needs more than 27% of the Hispanic vote, but it is a fallacy to believe that they need half in order to win. There are only four (so-called) swing states in which Hispanics make up a sizable portion of the population: FL, CO, NM, & NV. However, I am highly skeptical if any GOP candidate can win those latter three states in a presidential election year under nomral circumstances, because all three have moved so far to the left. (To illustrate, Cory Gardner--who ran a great campaign in contrast to Mark Udall's terrible one--managed to win by only 1.9%.) The good news, though, is that Republicans do not need CO, NM, & NV to win the presidency.

Republicans of course need FL, but with Jeb Bush as the nominee, they are favored to win it, especially when you condiser the fact that Romney lost the state by less than one percent. In the other swing states, the demographic situation is actually in the GOP's favor. It would probably be wise for Bush to balance his ticket by choosing a successful midwestern governor such as Scott Walker as his VP. Even without Walker (or some other midwestern governor) as his running mate, Bush is favored to win OH, given that Romney's loss was largely attributed to his opposition to the auto bailout. And with Walker on the ticket, the GOP has a reasonably good chance of winning WI and the less liberal IA. (Putting Walker on the ticket is not the same as putting Ryan on the ticket, since Ryan's Congressional District only cover's 1/8 of the state, while Walker has won three statewide races in WI.)

Now, the Romney states plus FL, OH, WI, & IA equal 269 electoral votes; with the GOP heavily favored to retain the House, the 269-269 electoral vote tie would result in a Bush victory. But, in all likelihood, if Bush wins WI, he will most likely win VA as well, which gives him 282 electoral votes.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
"The GOP certainly needs more than 27% of the Hispanic vote, but it is a fallacy to believe that they need half in order to win. There are only four (so-called) swing states in which Hispanics make up a sizable portion of the population: FL, CO, NM, & NV."

Hello, ONLY 4, but all 4 must be won by the GOP or it's game, set,match.

There are very few GOP paths to 270, when Dems start (based on Blue v Red Wall) with over a 70 EC vote lead, and simply Florida alone gets them past 270.

If folks like Oldglory prefer losing, they can enjoy then watching Hillary morph ACA into single payer with NO private insurance. The hard right adores stupidly the same ideological rigidness as the jihadists of the Middle East.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:35 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,196,284 times
Mitty say: Not so fast there, JEB!

Romney to GOP donors:

Ruh-Roh

Well, looks like Mitt and JEB! will be hoovering up all the cash. Game on!

Old 01-09-2015, 08:40 PM

491 posts, read 320,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
"The GOP certainly needs more than 27% of the Hispanic vote, but it is a fallacy to believe that they need half in order to win. There are only four (so-called) swing states in which Hispanics make up a sizable portion of the population: FL, CO, NM, & NV."

Hello, ONLY 4, but all 4 must be won by the GOP or it's game, set,match.

There are very few GOP paths to 270, when Dems start (based on Blue v Red Wall) with over a 70 EC vote lead, and simply Florida alone gets them past 270.

If folks like Oldglory prefer losing, they can enjoy then watching Hillary morph ACA into single payer with NO private insurance. The hard right adores stupidly the same ideological rigidness as the jihadists of the Middle East.
I seriously wonder if you read the entirety of my previous post, because I just explained how the GOP can win the election and still lose CO, NM, & NV. Please re-read what I wrote above. And before you harp on how WI (which I said was a state that the GOP can win) is part of the mythical blue wall, keep in mind that it is the weakest of the blue wall states, given that Bush lost the state both times by less than 0.5%.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:19 AM

63,005 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Hmm, no response to my post #43? Very telling.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:03 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times
LOL 43 was worth no response, as the 270 mill are fairly evenly split (from an EC perspective).

Old 01-10-2015, 03:13 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,078,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Nah, Mitty was deported by Bush. The Republican party is toast, despite their recent electoral victory. That's the last hurrah, that's it. Finito. Republicans can try with all their might, but they're done. After GWB, I say good riddance to bad rubbish.
First off, why would you want US to turn into a one party state?

Also, remember there were 40% whites who didn't vote for Romney. What makes you think those 40% are secure? While GOP can't afford to lose latinos, Democrats can't afford to lose white voters. Also, 44% of hispanic voters voted for Bush in 2004. A better candidate can win a lot more hispanic votes than Romney did.

In fact if 100% of US were hispanic, I still don't think Democrats would win every election. Hispanic voters are not like black voters, they will change party depending on the circuimstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections