Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Party did you or are you switching from?
Democrat switched to Independent 17 17.71%
Democrat switched to Republican 20 20.83%
Republican switched to Independent 15 15.63%
Republican switched to Democrat 21 21.88%
Other 23 23.96%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:13 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,012,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So the other major party is what?

Pond scum?

Makes it a tough choice, eh?

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member" _________ Groucho Marx

I'll happily remain registered as 'unaffiliated'
I'm suspicious that she was a Dem before since she was anti-Dem even before Obama started with his evil handiwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 09:24 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,772,607 times
Started out republican cause that's how I was raised. Moved to Libertarian when I got sick of the religious right. Got sick of the wealth-worship, platitudes, and thinly veiled racism, so the past several years I've been voting for Democrats as the slightly less destructive option.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:34 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,956,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Thinking Bush being Reagans VP, he had to be like Reagan... Wrong! what a disappointment.
I made that same mistake, switched from republican to libertarian in 1991.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:09 PM

19,811 posts, read 22,710,079 times
Went conservative to independent. The party lost me back when the moral majority bible thumpers started their shenanigans. I was very much a fan of William F. Buckley, and unfortunately that brand of intellectual conservatism has all but disappeared from the current political landscape.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:15 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,615,471 times
I was a libertarian leaning moderate Republican, I really disliked the hypocrisy & elitism I saw among my liberal friends & on the university campus where I worked back in the day.

And then I got to witness the absolute loony tunes that the Republican Party has turned into - the 21st Century's Crazy Clown Car of politics. It's mostly for ignorant hillbillies, folk who identify as followers or are easily fooled & the bankers & corporate magnates who are happy to convince them to vote against their own self-interests. I'll take the save-the-weasels moonbeam crowd over the open-mouth-breather "Real America" any day.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:10 AM

19,811 posts, read 22,710,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I was a libertarian leaning moderate Republican, I really disliked the hypocrisy & elitism I saw among my liberal friends & on the university campus where I worked back in the day.

And then I got to witness the absolute loony tunes that the Republican Party has turned into - the 21st Century's Crazy Clown Car of politics. It's mostly for ignorant hillbillies, folk who identify as followers or are easily fooled & the bankers & corporate magnates who are happy to convince them to vote against their own self-interests. I'll take the save-the-weasels moonbeam crowd over the open-mouth-breather "Real America" any day.
Pretty much why I fled. Sprinkle in some religious righteousness and you've got yourself the current 'mainstream GOP'.

I don't think we've seen this kind of 'issue' since before WWII, and that is scary.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:47 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,508,647 times
Voted "other" because I've had more than one change. Staunch Democrat as a young voter (the 80s). Moved further right as I got older but never voted a straight ticket. I'm going on 50 now and moving further left because the Republican party is moving further right. I've still not voted a straight ticket but it's getting tempting these days! The GOP has lost it, IMO.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:17 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,923,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I always voted Dem until 2012, when I switched to libertarian/dem. I still can't bring myself to vote for a repub. Dems recent swing to being a pro -amnesty party has been a real eye opener.
Where we're the democratic unions when this amnesty first started? They evidently saw dollar signs for future revenue, although pretty stupid in a non manufacturing economy. Both parties are bad anymore, although at least some republicans are anti illegal immigration. Historically, the republicans were protectionist and for tariffs, while the democrats have always been globalists. If the republicans won't stop illegal immigration, they may be done as a party next election, and a 3rd party would rise up instead. That might be good for America.

As an aside, what about obama sending a battalion soon to the Ukraine? That should be another eye opener. There is a long list of bad ideas in this country --But that has to be pretty high up there. There is a difference between going after disturbed Muslim sadists and attempting to fight a superpower with atomic weapons. You can't possibly know how that will turn out when you start it.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:32 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Started out republican cause that's how I was raised. Moved to Libertarian when I got sick of the religious right. Got sick of the wealth-worship, platitudes, and thinly veiled racism, so the past several years I've been voting for Democrats as the slightly less destructive option.

Religion is the least of our worries....
Liberty and freedom come first.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:16 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,965,085 times
I switched to voting Democrat ever since the 2012 election. As a gay person, I simply couldn't tolerate the Republican Party's anti-gay stance any longer, and heck, their economic policies and survival of the fittest mentality, quite frankly, make no sense. I never looked back and there is a 90% chance I will vote Democrat again in 2016. Also, I avoid relocating to conservative leaning metro areas at all costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections