Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 03:58 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,896,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
If you're right; if the Repubs put up a lady with some "balls", then it'll be game ON in 2016.
May the best woman win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 04:49 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,772,116 times
If any of ya'll don't think Hillary's second X-chromosome matters... you're in for a BIG surprise.

I don't think it's a given that she'll get the nomination. Yeah, it's likely. But it was also likely in 2008. Plus she's old.

But if she DOES get the nomination (or if it's any female Democrat for that matter)... it's gonna be a landslide. I know millions of Republican women will deny this- and Republican men will be completely clueless about it or will claim to be- but there's a pent-up desire out there to see the First Female President. They will vote for her in droves. Remember the surge in turnout (particularly among young people and black people) when Obama ran? 2016 will DWARF that if Hillary (or another credible woman) gets the Democratic nomination.

I think quite a few Republicans know this intuitively- even if they're loathe to admit it out loud. And they're ****ting their pants

Old 03-15-2015, 06:02 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,916,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
If any of ya'll don't think Hillary's second X-chromosome matters... you're in for a BIG surprise.

I don't think it's a given that she'll get the nomination. Yeah, it's likely. But it was also likely in 2008. Plus she's old.

But if she DOES get the nomination (or if it's any female Democrat for that matter)... it's gonna be a landslide. I know millions of Republican women will deny this- and Republican men will be completely clueless about it or will claim to be- but there's a pent-up desire out there to see the First Female President. They will vote for her in droves. Remember the surge in turnout (particularly among young people and black people) when Obama ran? 2016 will DWARF that if Hillary (or another credible woman) gets the Democratic nomination.

I think quite a few Republicans know this intuitively- even if they're loathe to admit it out loud. And they're ****ting their pants
A LOT hangs on how the Obama's last term plays out. If he's really "damaged goods", that could knock out Hillary right there in 2016 on top of her other drawbacks.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:13 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,772,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
A LOT hangs on how the Obama's last term plays out. If he's really "damaged goods", that could knock out Hillary right there in 2016 on top of her other drawbacks.
Republicans are doing their level best to make that happen. But we've all seen how competent Republican politicians are... do you think they're capable of it? I have my doubts.

Hillary does have a ton of baggage. And she's not particularly likeable. But IMO as long as she shows up and seems halfway plausible, women will vote for her in droves.

Now if I was her political advisor, I'd tell her to turn her biggest weaknesses (age and likability) into strengths. Channel Margaret Thatcher. Become the Iron Lady of the Left. I think she could pull it off. Not perfectly... not authentically- but well enough to get elected.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:15 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Isn't it funny how it's only Democrats that are allowed to make history? For instance, if making history was such a concern why didn't/don't we see a huge media buzz about Sarah Palin being the first woman Vice President, McCain being the first President not born in a U.S. state, Cain being the first President not to have held elected or military office, Romney being the first Mormon President, Tim Scott being the first Southern black Senator*, or Carly Fiorina being the first woman President? Or even in 2012 for what was arguably the first all-non-Protestant major party Presidential ticket (Romney/Ryan)**?

*Republicans basically forcibly took over Southern governments (a feat that the Redeemers would soon replicate), and many whites were disfranchised, a questionable electorate considering that all adult white males had acquired suffrage generations before. He is indisputably the first one directly elected.

**Romney being a Mormon and Ryan a Catholic; Obama as of 2012 was nondenominational (Biden was a Catholic), but he was affiliated with a Protestant church when he started running in 2008, hence the "arguably" part.
Republicans could also make History of course, that's not the point. But please, not Palin... She has no clue simply. It would be a real catastrophe, should it be her in the White House.

I have more respect for Carly Fiorina, she does have a "reputation" in the corporate industry that I still remember and maybe her turn will come one day. She is a very strong brand name for some circles in the country, despite the political divergences, and despite the fact that she was seen as one of the worst tech CEO at the end of her journey at HP - Obviously that statement is quite subjective.

I just think though that Republicans, with conservative values, would have harder time to push for changes, including supporting a woman. smart and capable or not, for a presidential race. It's just an opinion though. Maybe the Republicans will prove me wrong.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:39 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,916,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Republicans are doing their level best to make that happen. But we've all seen how competent Republican politicians are... do you think they're capable of it? I have my doubts.

Hillary does have a ton of baggage. And she's not particularly likeable. But IMO as long as she shows up and seems halfway plausible, women will vote for her in droves.

Now if I was her political advisor, I'd tell her to turn her biggest weaknesses (age and likability) into strengths. Channel Margaret Thatcher. Become the Iron Lady of the Left. I think she could pull it off. Not perfectly... not authentically- but well enough to get elected.
Please don't under estimate the Repubs; they took down a LOT of blue states last year, it was blow out. Like I said before: Hillary's damaged goods IMHO and, I think more nasty stuff will come out about her. Even many Dems DON'T want her around in 2015.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
this is timely. I am not so sure it seems some liberals want to do a number on her. I have watched some pretty liberal media and political operatives bad mouthing her record and recent email problem. I believe they may fear she turns to her husband political belief once elected which is right of center in the democratic party. A lot of my friends that are Democrats want the Obama committee faction out who ever runs. They want a return to center saying the last election showed the damage done by left.they say that without a move a president such as Nixon could soon win on a law and order platform like in past.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:36 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,673,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would rather it be Elizabeth Warren, but I do agree with you that there is no way a Republican is winning in 2016. With Americans finally starting to feel the Obama recovery as well as being tired of the culture war, the GOP has nothing to offer.
I think that the Democratic nomination is hers if she wants it. However, I believe that there are a lot of moderate Democrats/Independents/moderate Republicans who would like to not vote for her in a general election if they have a decent alternative. If the Republicans are smart about who they nominate, they can win the presidency. If they are not smart about it, we will get Hillary. I sure hope they are smart about it.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:50 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,278,126 times
Hillary looks good until she starts opening her mouth.....she is no Bill Clinton.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:19 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
She will be the first woman President in this country's history. There isn't a Republican alive who can beat her. Republicans know this, and are in a panic, working 24/7 obsessing on how to discredit her with nonsense like that email non-issue.
So what you're saying is having lady parts makes you Presidential material because I'm still missing a list of her accomplishments as Secretary of State. Still waiting for a reporter in sheep's clothing to ask her. Wait, make that a sheep in reporter's clothing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections