Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 11:21 AM

39,086 posts, read 51,273,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am not sure if TPP will be a relevant factor in November 2016. NAFTA wasn't in any election, even 1992. We are talking about what 16 months away, a lot can happen especially in a 24 hour news cycle.

FYI, TPP is the least of Cruz's problems when his unfavorability beats his favorability rating on virtually every poll taken on the subject.
Give it time. He has barely announced. We'll have to see his opinion polls after he has spent millions of dollars of Wall Street campaign contributions remaking his image into a friend of the American worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 11:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
I have been a big Ted Cruz supporter, however I have learned he supports fast tracking this trade agreement, to the detriment of the American worker. I've called his office last week and will continue to do so, voicing my objections to TPP.

This is an opinion piece, however it explains the issues we should all be worried about;

CLAUDIA TENNEY AND BRIAN O"SHAUGHNESSY: Selling Out the Constitution and Main Street on Trade - Washington Times
Regardless of how you feel about Fast track, your heading is a bit misleading, to say the least.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Give it time. He has barely announced. We'll have to see his opinion polls after he has spent millions of dollars of Wall Street campaign contributions remaking his image into a friend of the American worker.
It's been a trend since he led the suicide caucus in the September 2013 government shutdown.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
After experiencing NAFTA first hand, I think we need to slow things down a bit. As the article I posted pointed out, Americans will suffer quite a bit more than other workers. NAFTA put Mexican corn farmers out of business as well as U.S. truckers. Anytime we hear how a trade agreement is "good for us," we should beware. Plus, when companies like Walmart support TPP, we need to reconsider what we are doing here.
I find it almost a joke to hear you say you support Cruz or did but have problems with WalMart. That is like saying I have problems with G.Soros but love Hillary. As for NAFTA, yes, it may not have turned out to be just what many of us had hoped for, but it didn't put anyone out of business. It did hurt the farmers in places like Florida because produce from Mexico was so much less expensive. Everytime I hear people gripe about NAFTA I wonder if they buy strawberries in the winter or tomatoes or how about other tropical produce? Most trade agreements as well as most anything will have negatives and positives.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:41 PM

1,733 posts, read 949,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I find it almost a joke to hear you say you support Cruz or did but have problems with WalMart. That is like saying I have problems with G.Soros but love Hillary. As for NAFTA, yes, it may not have turned out to be just what many of us had hoped for, but it didn't put anyone out of business. It did hurt the farmers in places like Florida because produce from Mexico was so much less expensive. Everytime I hear people gripe about NAFTA I wonder if they buy strawberries in the winter or tomatoes or how about other tropical produce? Most trade agreements as well as most anything will have negatives and positives.

Is NAFTA Good For Mexico's Farmers? - CBS News

The United States and Canada have been selling tons of corn in Mexico for over a decade, thanks to NAFTA — the North American Free Trade Agreement. It eliminated tariffs on most agricultural trade and was supposed to be a win-win for the United States and Mexico.

For Alvares Correa, NAFTA has been a disaster. While the trade agreement opened up U.S. markets to Mexican corn farmers, they haven't been able to sell any corn in America.

Meanwhile, American farmers have flooded Mexico with cheap corn thanks to generous U.S. government subsidies — subsidies left unchecked by NAFTA. A U.S. corn grower receives an average annual subsidy of $20,000 a year. The Mexican government gives their farmers just $100.

Farmers said that entire towns are emptying because thousands of small farms have gone out of business. As many as 2 million farm workers have lost their jobs — the vast majority headed north across the U.S. border looking for better pay.

I was a Locomotive engineer for many years and ran quite a few grain/corn trains into Mexico via Eagle Pass and Del Rio.The negative affects on farmers there were up front and center.

NAFTA's effect on United States employment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to the Economic Policy Institute's study, 61% of the net job losses due to trade with Mexico under NAFTA, or 415,000 jobs, were relatively high paying manufacturing jobs.[2] Certain states with heavy emphasis on manufacturing industries like Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, and California were significantly affected by these job losses.[2] For example, in Ohio, Trade Adjustment Assistance and NAFTA-TAA identified 14,653 jobs directly lost due to NAFTA-related reasons like relocation of U.S. firms to Mexico.[4] Similarly, in Pennsylvania, Keystone Research Center attributed 150,000 job losses in the state to the rising U.S. trade deficit.[5] Since 1993, 38,325 of those job losses are directly related to trade with Mexico and Canada. Although many of these workers laid off due to NAFTA were reallocated to other sectors, the majority of workers were relocated to the service industry, where average wages are 4/5 to that of the manufacturing sector.[3]

Just like when the insurance companies initially objected to Obamacare, then suddenly supported it, Walmart supporting TPP should be a red flag. The insurance companies gained a client pool who are forced to buy insurance, or pay a penalty. Win/win for them.
TPP allows for the "free flow of labor." What do you think that means and how is that beneficial to American workers? It's not.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:47 PM

As far as the title of this thread being misleading, how? Dems are against TPP and if they ever get a decent candidate that will bring the detrimental effects of TPP on American workers to the plate, the republicans stand to lose in 2016. I support Cruz because he is a Constitutionalist. What will bring him down is if he starts behaving like Jeb Bush, a RINO.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:48 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
The problem is not with trade deals. The problem is politicians telling the country they aren't going to see what is in them until after it's passed.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The problem is not with trade deals. The problem is politicians telling the country they aren't going to see what is in them until after it's passed.

Good point.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:55 PM

8,274 posts, read 8,666,554 times
Quote:
As far as the title of this thread being misleading, how? Dems are against TPP and if they ever get a decent candidate that will bring the detrimental effects of TPP on American workers to the plate, the republicans stand to lose in 2016. I support Cruz because he is a Constitutionalist. What will bring him down is if he starts behaving like Jeb Bush, a RINO.
If you think Jeb is a RINO I guess you aren't too thrilled with the libertarian wing of the republican party.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
If you think Jeb is a RINO I guess you aren't too thrilled with the libertarian wing of the republican party.
Yeah. Cruz claims to be for liberties but wants to punt on gay marriage to the states. I guess that way he can play "I'm not against gay rights, blame your state legislature" despite the fact he is personally against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections