Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 04:31 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,394,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He will vote for it if Obama needs it.
You do know that Bernie sanders doesn't vote in lock step right?

Ohhhh....it must be Obama's mind control powers, that must be why the majority of Republicans are for it....Obama has taken control of their minds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 04:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You do know that Bernie sanders doesn't vote in lock step right?
Its easy when your vote isn't needed. It wasnt so easy for the "non interventionist" when it came time to argue arming Syrian Rebels (ISIS). That is reason alone to not support him.

Bernie is an extreme partisan while not claiming to be. That is even worse than simply admitting it.

Quote:
Ohhhh....it must be Obama's mind control powers, that must be why the majority of Republicans are for it....Obama has taken control of their minds!
You might note, I have not supported any of them either. Maybe I've simply not seen it but what I've seen so far says its Obama demanding that the details not be released to the public.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:12 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
And yet Obama campaigned on transparency in 2008. Surprisingly based on what posters think of me, I actually voted McCain in 08 and Romney in 2012.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:15 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,205,009 times
Republicans will lose because the electoral map doesn't add up for them like it didn't for the dems in the 1980's. It's actually very simple

Old 05-06-2015, 11:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Republicans will lose because the electoral map doesn't add up for them like it didn't for the dems in the 1980's. It's actually very simple
and you can't see any possible swing back to the 80s? I think you are niave if you think this could not happen with the right candidate. Who ever thought we would see Reagan win by a landslide in 1980? And how many would have predicted Bush would get defeated in 1992? Politics can be very interesting because it is totally unpredictable....For those of us who have been around for many elections we have seen many times how wrong our experts have been and how wrong we have been, trying to predict an outcome. Heck we just saw it in 2010 and 2014 for starters and Obama didn't drag a lot in on his shirt tails in 2012.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:55 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,984,040 times
The TPP is horrible, just as bad ad NAFTA, CAFTA, and all other "free" trade agreements. These deals aren't "free" they're just giveaways to giant corporate interests and globalists. Rand Paul has indicated in the past that he supports fast track authority and the TPP. If he votes for the TPP that is almost a deal breaker for me and I'm not sure I could vote for him.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and you can't see any possible swing back to the 80s? I think you are niave if you think this could not happen with the right candidate. Who ever thought we would see Reagan win by a landslide in 1980? And how many would have predicted Bush would get defeated in 1992? Politics can be very interesting because it is totally unpredictable....For those of us who have been around for many elections we have seen many times how wrong our experts have been and how wrong we have been, trying to predict an outcome. Heck we just saw it in 2010 and 2014 for starters and Obama didn't drag a lot in on his shirt tails in 2012.
You mentioned the key phrase, "the RIGHT candidate." I don't see the Republicans as having "the RIGHT candidate" right now. Jeb wont win conservatives (far too many hate his common core and amnesty) but I don't see the Cruz's, Paul's, Rubio's and for sure Carson's winning on their platform. (As I mention of Firino's thread her stance is "I'm not Hillary" which will win as good as "I'm not Obama" in 2011/2.)

As for the predictions 2014 was widely expected as a Republican win, maybe not how many seats. 2010, a bit of a different story but remember in the 1980's the congress was blue while the white house was red, just as it is now but flipped. These don't work a the white house should have gone to Dukakis in 1988 if the trend Republicans point to was political science law.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You mentioned the key phrase, "the RIGHT candidate." I don't see the Republicans as having "the RIGHT candidate" right now. Jeb wont win conservatives (far too many hate his common core and amnesty) but I don't see the Cruz's, Paul's, Rubio's and for sure Carson's winning on their platform. (As I mention of Firino's thread her stance is "I'm not Hillary" which will win as good as "I'm not Obama" in 2011/2.)

As for the predictions 2014 was widely expected as a Republican win, maybe not how many seats. 2010, a bit of a different story but remember in the 1980's the congress was blue while the white house was red, just as it is now but flipped. These don't work a the white house should have gone to Dukakis in 1988 if the trend Republicans point to was political science law.
2014 was predicted as a R win, but not nearly the landslide it was. How many do you think predicted IL, MD and Mass to elect R governors for starters?

Now, as for the right candidate, that remains to be seen. We do have new faces, which is a start. Last night we had our daughter over for dinner and some wine. Her husband was out of town: As usually the subject turned to politics. We are all Republicans, but with 3 different ideas: Hubby is both socially and fiscally conservative: I am fiscally conservative and socially moderate; our daughter is fiscally very conservative and socially probably to the left of me, but doesn't think social issues should have anything to do with who we elect as Pres. That being said, we are all supporting different candidates at this time: she is Rand Paul,I am Rubio and hubby in Walker. We know it is early and we realize we might change our minds. This Sunday should be very interesting; we are having the family over for moms day: 8 adults, all Republicans, but different levels. We have 2 that are evangilical, but one isn't very political, the other btw is Hispanic; 2 have another couple who are far to the right, but one is an agnostic; we have another couple who are split; he is right of right. I might add Jewish and his wife is fiscally conservative; and then there is hubby and me. The age range is from 28 to 78. I will keep everyone posted.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:18 PM

Governorship is still different than Presidential elections and I don't think there is an exact link between the two. I could be wrong but the issue is which states went red that weren't and if those voters are willing to vote red for the president as well.

As for my stance, slight fiscal conservatism, fairly social liberal. It's not just about how much you cut to me but where and why. I'd likely end up Blue dog democrat or tickets Rockefeller Republican.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:31 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,888,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And yet Obama campaigned on transparency in 2008. Surprisingly based on what posters think of me, I actually voted McCain in 08 and Romney in 2012.
He did get his transparency. Thanks to Snowden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections